Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Thru hull exhaust get old after a while? >

Thru hull exhaust get old after a while?

Notices

Thru hull exhaust get old after a while?

Old 03-20-2016, 11:46 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thru hull exhaust get old after a while?

I have a 18' bowrider with a 305 Chevy in it. I love the sound of a good v8 but am worried will I get tired of it after a while? I'm betting pulling tubes etc would be horrific for the riders?
Old 03-20-2016, 12:26 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Install silent choice. Works well for my Crownline and that gets used almost entirely for tubing nowadays so the exhaust is almost always closed. Occasionally I will open it up but would not want full time through hull in a boat that serves double duty as a tow boat.
Old 03-20-2016, 02:11 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Dmopar74
I have a 18' bowrider with a 305 Chevy in it. I love the sound of a good v8 but am worried will I get tired of it after a while? I'm betting pulling tubes etc would be horrific for the riders?
Thru hull exhaust are like women's titties Once you heard one set, you wanna hear them all !

And you never get tired of "hearing" them !

Last edited by Papasmurf; 03-20-2016 at 04:02 PM.
Old 03-20-2016, 02:25 PM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 864 Likes on 317 Posts

I don't think so, unless it's a dry exhaust. Thing is, if you get tired of it you can always bolt on some mufflers that still let you hear the rumble without the bark. Easy on, easy off.
Old 03-20-2016, 02:28 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Captains Call.............one the best options ever offered, best of both worlds.
Old 03-20-2016, 02:50 PM
Registered

Received 35 Likes on 15 Posts

I really enjoy hearing a V8 rumble as it slowly passes thru a marina during the day, or goes roaring by, during the day.
By adding silent choice, all the other boaters will appreciate it when you pull into a harbor at 10 pm, with the silent choice on.
It,s not only about you, others appreciate the quiet at times as well.
Being a courteous boater, I,m sure you really don,t want to be disturbing, the piece. LOL
Old 03-20-2016, 03:40 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

or you can have 2 boats! 1 with big powered dry exhaust & 1 with some Verado's
Old 03-20-2016, 04:08 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 350scarab
I really enjoy hearing a V8 rumble as it slowly passes thru a marina during the day, or goes roaring by, during the day.
By adding silent choice, all the other boaters will appreciate it when you pull into a harbor at 10 pm, with the silent choice on.
It,s not only about you, others appreciate the quiet at times as well.
Being a courteous boater, I,m sure you really don,t want to be disturbing, the piece. LOL
I'm looking forward to disturbing the peace hear at the condo this summer.

4.5" Dry tails coming off a 540 Stroker... That should wake up some late risers !

Guess I'll have to tell the wive to ease in at night. I'm never in shape to drive at night if its been a "good" day!
Old 03-20-2016, 04:08 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

We have Captain Call -- it is GREAT-- especially when pulling a tuber/skier -- I usually start off with the exhaust closed and then when they are getting comfortable -- Open it up -- and watch the expression on their face !!! Pure Terror to the novice

3pointstar
Old 03-20-2016, 04:17 PM
Registered

Captains call was one of the must have features when I bought my first boat. After about 3 weekends, it stayed closed the rest of the time I owned that boat. My current boat, it was on the must not have list. I like the sound of a nice V8 as much as the next guy, but on small runabouts and pleasure boats, it reminds me of the hillbillies at work who run loud exhaust on their daily driver pickup truck and suburbans. Nothing disappoints me more than when I'm on the lake and hear something coming around the bend only to look up and see an old 20ft runabout.
I'll go for the captains call when I finally step up to a performance boat.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.