Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Switching to Duoprop - what prop to get? >

Switching to Duoprop - what prop to get?

Notices

Switching to Duoprop - what prop to get?

Old 03-23-2016, 12:32 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Switching to Duoprop - what prop to get?

HI -

I am looking to understand what the most appropriate prop for my boat is and where to find one. My boat came to me with a fairly basic 454 ~330hp and a VP280 drive. The 454’s block cracked so I replaced it w/ another 454 having 550hp. This higher horsepower engine is now busting shear pins and twisting gears in the VP280 so I picked up a VP 290 DP to put in its place. The 290 did not come with a prop so I need to get one (to start with) and the question is which on? I think if I stuck to a single prop drive I would be looking for a 27-27P. I have not had a lot of opportunity to play around with prop configurations because the VP 280 is LR and finding high pitched, LR props with the 280 spline configuration is really tough.

If I was fairly certain that a 27p was the route to go on a non duo config, how would this translate into a duo prop config? Also, with the DP how do you purchase these props? Is there a rear prop and a front prop where one spins in an LR configuration and the other to the right? Are they always sold in sets, if not why not? Should they both be the same overall diameter (maybe)? Should they both be the same pitch (maybe)? The reason I am thinking maybe is because I wonder if you can create an educator effect with these 2 props thereby passing 4x the amount of water you would otherwise. I suspect the jetboats have played with this technology. If unfamiliar w/ educators, I learned about them designing a huge coral reef tank.

Thanks!

- scott -
Old 03-27-2016, 05:45 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

simplifying my question, what duoprop configuration would you put on VP duoprop drive sitting behind a 550hp engine?... or where can I learn what the vp duoprop codes like F4, F5 mean?
Old 03-27-2016, 06:02 PM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

You might talk to Chris Reindl think the number is 702-bat-boat he is running 570hp ilmores thru a volvo duoprop and on an indenticle boat thru a bravo drive. and has been running the hell out of them for years. He propbably has a pretty good handle on proping conversions etc....
Old 03-28-2016, 02:28 PM
Diamond Member #001
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Here's the link to the Volvo Penta propeller guide:

http://www.volvopenta.com/SiteCollec...er%20Guide.pdf

Check page 21 for the latest (Type C) stainless steel props for your 290. Props are available individually, but different pitches should never be mixed.
Old 03-28-2016, 05:48 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Brett at b blades. He has experience with them and is always kind enough to converse. He will get you set up right the first time.