Notices

Drive guardian

Old 03-27-2016, 11:54 AM
Registered

Received 61 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Drive guardian

I've been reading about these for a few hours now, they seem like a great product but fairly new.
Does anybody have any real world experience with these?
I have a 42 Tiger TS with 575Sci and bravo xr's and would like to have some extra insurance against premature failure.
Old 03-27-2016, 12:18 PM
Registered

Received 278 Likes on 97 Posts

Great product and a good fit for your application....where the power is in the range of what the drive can handle and the boat sees rough water

Not to be confused with an OVERPOWERED drive that will prematurely wear out anyways
Old 03-27-2016, 12:42 PM
DM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I could be wrong but I think Performance Marine Services on Lake George,NY runs this on their race boat. Either way they would probably be good to discuss it with. Perfmar.com
Old 03-27-2016, 01:11 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by offshorexcursion
Great product and a good fit for your application....where the power is in the range of what the drive can handle and the boat sees rough water

Not to be confused with an OVERPOWERED drive that will prematurely wear out anyways
you must be referring to 750-800hp motors with xr's
Old 03-27-2016, 10:43 PM
Registered

Received 278 Likes on 97 Posts

First off the drive guardian is a very cool product that was long over due in the Marine world

IMO using common sense about how this "clutch" works....

The main benefit is rough water

The product does not "slip" getting on plane, and does not "slip" while cruising at near peak torque going through the drive wearing it out. It only slips when there is a torque spike.

There's a proper "tool" for every job and the drive guardian is not a replacement for an upgraded drive.

Does not matter on the power range, the DG is a great addition to any boat that has a properly matched drive train to its engine. Bravo XR, SCX, Indy, BMAX, SSMV, #6, etc.
Old 03-28-2016, 05:04 AM
bck
Charter Member#568
Charter Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

There's been a few threads started on them. I think a pretty long one exists that was started by one of the race teams. They are having a good experience with it iirc. Edit- I see the thread i was referring to was located and brought back to the top

Last edited by bck; 03-28-2016 at 05:07 AM.
Old 03-28-2016, 05:39 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Call Jason at performance marine in Bolton landing , NY. he will tell you if it work for you or not. He's not the guy that will sell you something that you don't need
Old 03-28-2016, 07:29 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We have run a Drive Guardian on our race boat (26' Joker, XR Drive, 540 CI) for 2 years and have no complaints. We use Performance Marine as our drive rebuilder and have avoided the issues that many have with big power and Bravo drives. There are many races where we are forced to keep the throttle down even when the prop leaves the water and I am convinced the Drive Guardian has protected our drive from damage.
Old 03-28-2016, 09:14 AM
Registered

Received 4,286 Likes on 1,237 Posts
Thumbs up

I`m getting them for my boat . Very excited!!
Old 03-28-2016, 11:28 AM
Registered

I'm convinced they work as long as the drive is rated for the horse power you put to it.
I'll be ordering them in the next few days.
I wish we could hear from some other boaters that have bought them besides the few race teams that seam to like them.
If they work that great they should fly off the shelves.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.