Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
When you buy a used boat, when do you consider you should get warranty? >

When you buy a used boat, when do you consider you should get warranty?

Notices

When you buy a used boat, when do you consider you should get warranty?

Old 04-14-2016, 09:59 PM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dbkski
The thread title is misleading and has almost nothing to do with the situation. This is another bad deal story and should be in
the Beware and Stolen section. With that said only Turbojack knows the old dude and what is in his best interest. I think his
advice is spot on with one caveat. Once the money is safely in his hands an effort should be made to bring shame upon the
dealer/salesman/broker and then never do business with them again. A letter to the business, the BBB, and threads on all
possible boat sites would be time better spent than being in court or trying to do the repairs yourself. This may give the boat
owner his "pound of flesh" without a bunch of wasted time, money, or effort. If only one person refuses to do a deal with this
business they might lose $3000 - $8000 which is a good kick in the balls by anyone's definition.
+1
Old 04-14-2016, 11:24 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have heard that adding “Under Duress”, or “All Rights Reserved” to a signature when signing a document will maintain our inherent human rights; and while this could work as well, the proper and Latin way to sign under duress is to add a “V.C.” before your name.

Vi Coactus, abbreviated to V.C., is a latin term. The website wikipedia cites the definition of vi coactus as:

“constrained by force”. Used when forced to sign (“or else …”)

YES - the above is plagiarized, but check it out.
Old 04-15-2016, 09:04 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Turbojack
They would not release any of the money until he signed their deal. There are other ways for us to get back at them.

As to who they are, lets just say for now they are a big Central Texas boat dealer. If you want to know more you can PM me and I will be glad to call you back, and /or have the boat seller give you a call.

partllowr, Our company deals with a lot of people from different government law enforcement agency's and they stop in our office every day. I have told the story to many of them and they all tell me the same thing that it is really a civil case now and would have to take it thru the courts. $2,500.00 is a chunk of money but he would be spending way more that that in getting a lawyer involved and who know when he would get any of his money. In business we have judgments against a few people that cost us a lot of money to get and still waiting to collect on them. After time you have to look at what the cost is and if it is worth the time and money to fight them.
I'm not sure what agencies of law enforcement you deal with but what you outlined is highly illegal and it's a form of fraud as well as BLACKMAIL!!! Plain and simple, you can not threaten to hold/withhold property of money in that way. If I buy a boat as is with no warranty and give the dealer a $2500 check as a down payment and then two days later I find out that the motor is blown and stop payment on my check I go to jail for check fraud. Also, you are doing the OSO community a HUGE disservice by not sharing the name of the dealer. This thread is pretty much useless.

If your friend that sold the boat would have stood up for himself and threated to defame the dealership on boat forums such as OSS, Yelp, Yahoo and other places he would not be out of pocket $2500 right now.

Last edited by partlowr; 04-15-2016 at 09:07 AM.
Old 04-15-2016, 09:05 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by dbkski
The thread title is misleading and has almost nothing to do with the situation. This is another bad deal story and should be in
the Beware and Stolen section. With that said only Turbojack knows the old dude and what is in his best interest. I think his
advice is spot on with one caveat. Once the money is safely in his hands an effort should be made to bring shame upon the
dealer/salesman/broker and then never do business with them again. A letter to the business, the BBB, and threads on all
possible boat sites would be time better spent than being in court or trying to do the repairs yourself. This may give the boat
owner his "pound of flesh" without a bunch of wasted time, money, or effort. If only one person refuses to do a deal with this
business they might lose $3000 - $8000 which is a good kick in the balls by anyone's definition.
Agree 100%
Old 04-15-2016, 09:38 AM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by partlowr
I'm not sure what agencies of law enforcement you deal with but what you outlined is highly illegal and it's a form of fraud as well as BLACKMAIL!!! Plain and simple, you can not threaten to hold/withhold property of money in that way. If I buy a boat as is with no warranty and give the dealer a $2500 check as a down payment and then two days later I find out that the motor is blown and stop payment on my check I go to jail for check fraud. Also, you are doing the OSO community a HUGE disservice by not sharing the name of the dealer. This thread is pretty much useless.

If your friend that sold the boat would have stood up for himself and threated to defame the dealership on boat forums such as OSS, Yelp, Yahoo and other places he would not be out of pocket $2500 right now.
I am sure the name will show up after they have worked all the options open to them. He came looking for opinions and got them. Much as we may like it differently, the time to out the name is up to the involved parties involved especially as TJ got involved trying to help after the fact and is not the primary player.
Old 04-15-2016, 01:19 PM
Registered

Don't bother with the BBB, they are a total scam. You would want the states attorney general involved.
Old 04-17-2016, 12:47 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by partlowr

I agree about it
Old 04-20-2016, 09:23 AM
Registered

Was there resolution here?
Old 04-22-2016, 10:32 PM
Registered

Received 394 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by scottgjerdingen
Was there resolution here?
I'm sure somebody got fukt out of $2500.