Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Best price/ place to have a boat shrink wrapped in Lake Havasu? >

Best price/ place to have a boat shrink wrapped in Lake Havasu?

Notices

Best price/ place to have a boat shrink wrapped in Lake Havasu?

Old 04-14-2016, 09:31 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by phughes69
Im bringing the boat from Lake Havasu to Michigan and dont want the glass to get broken from rocks or the rest of the boat to get chipped
Ah..I knew there had to be a logical explanation. I was really scratching my head lol.
Old 04-28-2016, 06:31 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 99 Likes on 53 Posts

I picked up the boat on Friday night and had it shrink wrapped by Matt at MDR. He did a top notch job of wrapping the whole boat. NOTHING came loose during the 2100 mile trip back to Michigan and I was hitting 70 mph on some of the downhills in Arizona and New Mexico. I got hit by some pretty hard rain in Illinois, not to mention all the diesel soot and bug guts. He charged me $14.00 / linear ft to wrap the whole boat vs Rons Audio who wanted to charge $24/ ft. If you are taking a boat out to Desert Storm and want it wrapped to protect your investment on the way back give him a call at 928-542-0423
Attached Thumbnails Best price/ place to have a boat shrink wrapped in Lake Havasu?-img_9574.jpg   Best price/ place to have a boat shrink wrapped in Lake Havasu?-img_9575.jpg  
Old 04-28-2016, 10:11 PM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

I picked up the boat on Friday night and had it shrink wrapped by Matt at MDR. He did a top notch job of wrapping the whole boat. NOTHING came loose during the 2100 mile trip back to Michigan and I was hitting 70 mph on some of the downhills in Arizona and New Mexico. I got hit by some pretty hard rain in Illinois, not to mention all the diesel soot and bug guts. He charged me $14.00 / linear ft to wrap the whole boat vs Rons Audio who wanted to charge $24/ ft. If you are taking a boat out to Desert Storm and want it wrapped to protect your investment on the way back give him a call at 928-542-0423
That is a great deal. I am thinking about doing that to my boat in a week or two when I pick it up in Havasu and head back to Texas. Thanks for the info.
Old 04-28-2016, 10:17 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Matt did a fantastic job. He is a firefighter and does this on the side, but he has all the Dr shrink tools and uses Dr Shrink wrap. I took the boat to his house in Bullhead city and he had it done in a few hours while I ran around getting parts to cool off my truck for the trek thru the desert mountains (another story)
Old 04-28-2016, 10:30 PM
Registered

I am just wondering if you could shrinkwrap the nose area only to protect the boat from rocks or if you have to do it all. When I get mine, it will have a bow and cockpit cover on it. Would it be worth the effort for that or should the whole boat be done. It would be cheaper to buy a set of portable tow flaps than shrinkwrap the entire boat, but would it be worth it?
Old 04-29-2016, 06:06 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

but tow flaps wont protect the boat from the vehicle exhaust, bug guts. Coming back from Arizona, it seemed like Texas and Oklahoma had the most bugs splattered across my windshield. After seeing how much Black smoke my truck was spewing on the uphills, you could see the residue on the shrink wrap around the windows in the hull.
Old 04-29-2016, 08:54 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

but tow flaps wont protect the boat from the vehicle exhaust, bug guts. Coming back from Arizona, it seemed like Texas and Oklahoma had the most bugs splattered across my windshield. After seeing how much Black smoke my truck was spewing on the uphills, you could see the residue on the shrink wrap around the windows in the hull.
The new diesels have a filter to keep that from happening. lol.
Old 04-29-2016, 11:43 AM
Registered

Hmmm…. Bugs!!! Something to consider. If you think North Texas and Oklahoma has bugs, take a drive down the I10 corridor (near the coast in SE Texas and right where I am heading) in the spring and summer. I wonder if he can do a partial wrap to cover the nose and windshield? Never had a boat wrapped, so I don’t know.

Actually, since I have just had the gel coat freshened up, I don’t want to get the front end dinged up. I have towed boats like everyone else and I have never had a rock ding that I know of, but you never know. Did you have flaps on your truck for the trip?

I think I’ll take his number with me and if the bugs, weather, etc. are bad on the trip out, I will call him and see what he can do. Bullhead City is actually close to one route home that I am considering. Thanks
Old 04-29-2016, 08:34 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Only on the 07 and up diesels and the ones that people haven't modified