Notices

fuel consumption q's

Old 04-17-2016, 01:26 PM
Registered

Received 66 Likes on 41 Posts
Default fuel consumption q's

Its weird in that when the tourist boats go out to the island loaded with tourists apprx 40 people, they run 225 or 250 hp engines and burn about 40 gallons of premix gas, per 2.5 hour round trip.

Now when i run my cargo boat with a pair of 40hp 2 strokes. i am running in empty and coming out full 1.5 trip in and 4 hours out. I use about 32 gallons of fuel.

if the boat wont get up on top and plane out which the tourists boats do not, my boat does on the way in but not on the way out.

So it seems like it takes x amount of fuel to move x amount of weight in a boat that will not get on plane... whether you have 450 or 500 hp or 80hp like my cargo boat, the trip time is different but the fuel burn is the same!

If my boat could not get up on plane on the way in empty and was carrying a load it would burn the same number gallons of fuel as the boats running much bigger engines for less amount of time... make sense?

What are your thoughts, rm
Old 05-16-2016, 01:22 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i think you need to visit any good boat repairer
Old 05-16-2016, 06:29 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 99 Likes on 53 Posts

compare gph at the same speed in different planing hulls with different HP. they are all pretty much the same when you factor in time. my Buddies 32 Sea Ray Sundancer burns the same amount of fuel per hour per distance that my 38 Scarab does. My mpg may be 1.0 but I get across the lake quicker. He may be at 1.7 mpg but it takes him twice as long so overall the same fuel is used. The only exception I have seen to this are small planeing hulls. My little 18' Formula with a 350 would get about 2 mpg at 30 mph vs my Scarab which may be 1.2? mpg at the same speed.