Does Catastrophic Steering Loss Happen? >

Does Catastrophic Steering Loss Happen?

Notices

Does Catastrophic Steering Loss Happen?

Old 05-08-2016, 10:12 AM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by shepnic74
I'm trying to make sense of this video. If you freeze it at 45 seconds it shows the bow already smashed and it looks like an overturned boat in front of it. What the hell happened in that video??
Old 05-08-2016, 04:45 PM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by thirdchildhood
I'm trying to make sense of this video. If you freeze it at 45 seconds it shows the bow already smashed and it looks like an overturned boat in front of it. What the hell happened in that video??
Is that the run that Richard Branson was on? British Virgin Islands?
Old 05-08-2016, 04:49 PM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

I dont buy that story, all the high pressure connections are pipe thread except for the back of the PS pump.There should not be any plastic washers on the pressure side.
Even a leaking hose can be counter steered until all the fluid is gone. Catastrophic failure of a hose (as in parting) could be a more immediate problem.

Last edited by Wobble; 05-08-2016 at 05:18 PM.
Old 05-08-2016, 08:07 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You see the boat that smashed the bow off go up the starboard side of the camera looks like just as it gets passed the camera boat something in the steering goes wrong and it shoots to port and hits the red cc in the side. Yes that was the one with Richard Branson. Did some digging around the net back when I first saw the vid and a couple sites said it was due to hydrolic line failure. Every thing I read said all survived with some injuries.
Old 05-08-2016, 10:48 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 814 Likes on 373 Posts

I was racing a 36 outlaw thru downtown port huron running 96 mph in my 272 baja, idler bearing failed and shredded power steering belt, was in 3 footers and steering took everything i could do to keep boat straight (full hyd to helm) , backed her down without bow steering or losing it . Put spare belt on and limped it back. Was in lk huron another time in 3 to 5's, cheap power steering cooler split a line, steering got mushy but was only going 35 mph, all i could do once i stopped was drive in circles, luckily a friend was tagging along and ran to harbor at bois blanc island, he got the general store to sell him some snow plow oil and i bypassed cooler and drove back. I used to give hoses a quick inspection before going out everytime just in case, stuff does happen!! Was the second power steering cooler i had leak, permanently bypassed it at home and never replaced it, ran that way for 5 more years without ever having a issue fwiw.

Last edited by articfriends; 05-08-2016 at 10:51 PM.
Old 05-09-2016, 08:20 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Catastrophic steering loss is definitely real. My eye opening experience happened about 3 years after I re-powered my scarab with custom 540s. One of the only pieces of equipment I carried over from my previous stock 454 engines was the pulley system. On this particular day I was running about 75 MPH and the stock GM Stamp steel pulley on the crank ripped its center out (sending the pulley bouncing around the engine compartment), but that wasn't the real problem. That pulley drove the belt operating my power steering pump and external hydraulic steering. With the sudden and immediate loss of power steering, the boat Instantly made a dramatic turn to port. We were amazed to have not been ejected from the boat. Crazy **** can always happen in a boat at anytime. We have to always be prepared for it as best we can. I was so thankful that day we were not running near any other boat, otherwise I could have ended up like the boat in that video with my bow ripped off.
Old 05-09-2016, 09:40 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The story seems fishy to me....how could he have possibly known that he "flipped 3 times" in the dark when it happened that suddenly? He had time to grab neutral in a wreck that was violent enough to eject everybody from the boat? Sure. Ejected from the boat at 30 mph....flies thru the air, splashes in the water, comes back up, wipes the water from his face, and is still able to see his boat "skidding another 50 yards"...in the dark.

I think somebody missed their calling as a fiction writer.
Old 05-09-2016, 10:54 AM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts

I see now what happened in that video. I bet the guy in the red boat was pissed! That whole run looks like some madness that I wouldn't want any part of. Yes, I think the story I pasted here is fishy but the real life stories coming out are pretty scary. Now I will always be worried about this. How does losing a belt make the boat turn? I still have steering with the engine off. Full hydraulic, dual ram Zeiger.
Old 05-09-2016, 11:00 AM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

I see now what happened in that video. I bet the guy in the red boat was pissed! That whole run looks like some madness that I wouldn't want any part of. Yes, I think the story I pasted here is fishy but the real life stories coming out are pretty scary. Now I will always be worried about this. How does losing a belt make the boat turn? I still have steering with the engine off. Full hydraulic, dual ram Zeiger.
I lost a belt at high rpm, dual rams, hyd helm, single engine , the steering just got very heavy but still worked, I was able to drive it back, docking was a chore however.

Last edited by Wobble; 05-11-2016 at 06:14 AM.
Old 05-09-2016, 12:15 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I turn a 550lb outboard off a single ram and wingplate without power steering from idle into the 60s without much effort. You girls need to harden the phuk up. Lol, but seriously, is an outdrive harder to turn on a hydraulic setup, or is it just the "oh crap" factor of going from power assist to no power assist?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.