If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter

Thread: Bravo 3's?

Bravo 3's?

I realize that bravo 3's are not used on many performance boats.
    So I was wondering what are their advantages when it comes to cruisers?
    Low end torqe

My Boats:
    2009 FORMULA 292
    Lake George, NY it's not called "Queen of American Lakes" for nothin'!
    They help alot on the low end and getting on plane and maneuverability. If the boat is light and you have one it idles pretty fast! You also get alot more bite and helps push heavy boats more easily through the water.

Platinum Member Platinum Member CigDaze's Avatar
    My Boats:
    Cigarette 35 Cafe Racer
    St. Petersburg, FL
    To be honest, I really can't think of too many. For starters, the Bravo 3 is a corrosion nightmare. Maybe they've fixed that, but the complaints are mounting and the response so far has been staggeringly little.

I guess it might be helpful in planing, twice the prop area turning slower to take advantage of the available engine torque. They are also geared higher available in 1.81|2.0|2.2 / 1 ratios. They are probably more efficient on larger partial displacement vessels like cruisers.

My Boats:
    '91 Carbon 70 Cafe, 3370 Pursuit
    Peoria, IL & FMB, FL
    Clay Washington is our resident Bravo 3 expert. In his absence I'll add that mid-range cruise is more efficient with the B3. In single engine applications you get a great hole shot. Manuvering around the dock is much easier compared to a Bravo 1. This performance comes at a price. With six blades in the water you have greater friction at higher speeds, so the B3 is slow compared to the B1.

I found they turn real nice & like the Blackhawk drive there is no steering wheel torgue.....

Diamond Member #001 Charter Member C_Spray's Avatar
    My Boats:
    2000 Formula 382 with Innovation 600's
    Coastal North Carolina
    The B3's gearcase is not particularly hydrodynamic, since it was not really designed for high-speed applications. On a single-engine boat with a narrow beam and/or at high speeds (like One-Design BatBoats), counter-rotation is a wonderful thing, as it pretty much eliminates prop-walk. Other than that, twin-prop drives give you LOTS of control around the docks. I have Volvo Penta DPX's on my boats, and I am happy with them. They were designed for high speeds from the start, and are somewhat stronger than Bravos.
    Retired! Boating full-time now.

Lehigh Valley, Pennsylvania
    Having a B3 is like having 4 wheel drive in a truck. It is great in getting you out of the water when you put extra people and coolers on board. Also helps with low speed planing, keeps your boat from that squatting feeling. I have one on a 26' sport boat with a 7.4efi. It never stays in the water and never had any issues with corrosion. Stays straighter when trolling. It is strong all the way through to the last couple mph on top end. It just has twice as much prop to grab the water with. I love it, it's a shame it isn't good for high performance stuff. It really isn't good for higher speeds, I've seen a couple behind some smaller boats with big hp and they to their top end quickly, specially from out of the hole, but top end lagged. My top end stops at 58mph, 4600lb boat, 26', 310hp 7.4L.

My Boats:
    Stray Cat Statement Marine
    USR, NJ
    Could you imagine what would have happend to a less strong Bravo. I would-a had to bring you something to eat as well.