Notices

Bravo 3's?

Old 09-26-2002, 09:46 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bravo 3's?

I realize that bravo 3's are not used on many performance boats.
So I was wondering what are their advantages when it comes to cruisers?
Low end torqe
Old 09-26-2002, 09:56 AM
Registered

They help alot on the low end and getting on plane and maneuverability. If the boat is light and you have one it idles pretty fast! You also get alot more bite and helps push heavy boats more easily through the water.
Old 09-26-2002, 10:00 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

To be honest, I really can't think of too many. For starters, the Bravo 3 is a corrosion nightmare. Maybe they've fixed that, but the complaints are mounting and the response so far has been staggeringly little.

I guess it might be helpful in planing, twice the prop area turning slower to take advantage of the available engine torque. They are also geared higher available in 1.81|2.0|2.2 / 1 ratios. They are probably more efficient on larger partial displacement vessels like cruisers.
Old 09-26-2002, 10:45 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Clay Washington is our resident Bravo 3 expert. In his absence I'll add that mid-range cruise is more efficient with the B3. In single engine applications you get a great hole shot. Manuvering around the dock is much easier compared to a Bravo 1. This performance comes at a price. With six blades in the water you have greater friction at higher speeds, so the B3 is slow compared to the B1.
Old 09-26-2002, 10:55 AM
GRH

I found they turn real nice & like the Blackhawk drive there is no steering wheel torgue.....

Old 09-26-2002, 10:59 AM
Diamond Member #001
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The B3's gearcase is not particularly hydrodynamic, since it was not really designed for high-speed applications. On a single-engine boat with a narrow beam and/or at high speeds (like One-Design BatBoats), counter-rotation is a wonderful thing, as it pretty much eliminates prop-walk. Other than that, twin-prop drives give you LOTS of control around the docks. I have Volvo Penta DPX's on my boats, and I am happy with them. They were designed for high speeds from the start, and are somewhat stronger than Bravos.
Old 09-26-2002, 11:04 AM
Registered

Having a B3 is like having 4 wheel drive in a truck. It is great in getting you out of the water when you put extra people and coolers on board. Also helps with low speed planing, keeps your boat from that squatting feeling. I have one on a 26' sport boat with a 7.4efi. It never stays in the water and never had any issues with corrosion. Stays straighter when trolling. It is strong all the way through to the last couple mph on top end. It just has twice as much prop to grab the water with. I love it, it's a shame it isn't good for high performance stuff. It really isn't good for higher speeds, I've seen a couple behind some smaller boats with big hp and they to their top end quickly, specially from out of the hole, but top end lagged. My top end stops at 58mph, 4600lb boat, 26', 310hp 7.4L.
Old 09-26-2002, 11:38 AM
Registered

C_Spray,
Could you imagine what would have happend to a less strong Bravo. I would-a had to bring you something to eat as well.