Best places to retire w/ your boat? >

Best places to retire w/ your boat?

Notices

Best places to retire w/ your boat?

Old 05-15-2016, 07:28 AM
Registered

Received 885 Likes on 480 Posts

Originally Posted by Cash Bar
Florida born and raised. Always plan to have a place here. In the future we hope to have a Summer house on LOTO.

That being said I thought that Lake havasu would be a cool place to "retire". Lots of houses being built with DOUBLE RV/Boat garages and 2-4 car regular garages. Not too expensive, fresh water lakes and one of the best car places in the country. Add in Vegas/Cali/Grand Canyon all within a few hours and it's nice option. One I think my brother(also Fla native) is seriously considering.

Havasu- Guacamole and a ghetto blaster in the middle of a desert!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRYfSzS2zPc
Old 05-15-2016, 07:38 AM
Registered

Received 885 Likes on 480 Posts

Originally Posted by Orthobam
With the ability to rent a place short or long term about anywhere in the world, I will not likely buy anywhere.

I'll have a nice CC (would be the Mystic if it was today) and a Pilatus that I would put on a lease back charter. Most of the guys I've talked to with these planes can more than cover their operating costs and have seen their planes appreciate.

I will spend a lot of time in South Beach, the Keys, US and BVIs, Bahamas, Mexico, and of course LOTO in the summers.

I have rented in all of these places (except BVIs - going this summer) and just loathe the thought of another home to take care of. I love the freedom of changing my mind and giving back the keys to the owner when I'm ready to move on to the next destination.

I think South Florida will always be our anchor point where we keep the CC and just move it around wherever we go.

One thing that might make sense for us is a smaller yacht that would be able to move about all these places. I have spotted a few 70-80 footers under $750k that I could live on comfortably. I'm not sure I could afford the dockage and maintenance in retirement because I'm not a handyman. I've heard that annual costs for a megayacht is 10% of the purchase price. I don't think that holds true for smaller yachts - it may be 20% or more.

Sorry for rambling but I have planned my exit based on these observations.....This is why I now at 43, have sold my LOTO home, take 10-12 weeks off a year, am starting a charter business in Florida, and trying to figure out how to make more passive income so I can take more time off to do more boating.
Good post! I think VRBO/Airbnb have taken a lot of the logic out of owning a 2nd home.

On the yacht idea the 10% operations cost usually is linked to the original cost of the yacht, not what you paid for it. If you buy a 10 million dollar boat for 100K it will cost you closer to 1mm a year to run it not 10K (10% of the actual purchase price). I think with the IPS type boats more people can handle bigger boats easily.

On the Pilatus, keep in mind the values on used ones are rising because they want about 4.5 million for a new one! It has happened before with cars/boats that are in demand so people pay a premium for used ones. They are cheap to run with that single turbo prop vs. jets so from a cost per hour they look great. I think I like a King Air for the same money and an extra spinner in case something goes wrong up there!
Old 05-15-2016, 03:36 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well that's depressing Bam, Better get off my ass and retire fully at 52. I still have a lot of stuff I want to do.
Old 05-15-2016, 06:13 PM
Registered

Received 421 Likes on 175 Posts

One of our biggest challenges is moving away from the kids (21 & 24) and our aging parents. I have been trying to spend a week or two a month either at LOTO or Cape Coral, but the Mrs only goes only about 1/2 the time. I worked a lifetime worth of work and worry the past 25 years, and am blessed to be able to slow down. I still have some irons in the fire that will keep me working some, but the pressures are way down. All of our days are limited, we just don't know how many tics are left. I look forward to figuring it out!
Old 05-18-2016, 11:20 AM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

This is a subject I've been giving much thought to; I sold my boat a couple of years ago - but ideally I'd like to retire somewhere on/at the water - where I could dock something small nearby, like a Donzi 16 and use it regularly. My daughter lived in West Palm for about 3 years before moving to NYC and the wife and I really liked it there; I also enjoyed some past trips to the Sarasota area as well. We've seen some reasonable properties, but am in no rush to move just yet - I can't retire for about another 4-1/2 years.

If I could have my wish, I'd spend 7 months a year in FL and the five in northern MI - around Traverse City / Charlevoix stretch. Hell, if I could pitch a tent for three months at the shore somewhere on the Chain-of-Lakes with a boat nearby (Elk/Torch/Bellaire) I could probably die happy.

Idea of one or two (much smaller) places to retire at is appealing. The biggest problem - I imagine for a lot of us - is divesting ourselves of all the "stuff" we've accumulated over a lifetime. It can be hard to let go, but like George Carlin always reminded us - some stuff is "stuff" - but a lot of "stuff" is just "sh*t" ...
Old 05-18-2016, 03:41 PM
Registered

Received 735 Likes on 330 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackJack58
This is a subject I've been giving much thought to; I sold my boat a couple of years ago - but ideally I'd like to retire somewhere on/at the water - where I could dock something small nearby, like a Donzi 16 and use it regularly. My daughter lived in West Palm for about 3 years before moving to NYC and the wife and I really liked it there; I also enjoyed some past trips to the Sarasota area as well. We've seen some reasonable properties, but am in no rush to move just yet - I can't retire for about another 4-1/2 years.

If I could have my wish, I'd spend 7 months a year in FL and the five in northern MI - around Traverse City / Charlevoix stretch. Hell, if I could pitch a tent for three months at the shore somewhere on the Chain-of-Lakes with a boat nearby (Elk/Torch/Bellaire) I could probably die happy.

Idea of one or two (much smaller) places to retire at is appealing. The biggest problem - I imagine for a lot of us - is divesting ourselves of all the "stuff" we've accumulated over a lifetime. It can be hard to let go, but like George Carlin always reminded us - some stuff is "stuff" - but a lot of "stuff" is just "sh*t" ...
T.C. real estate is getting pricey
Old 05-18-2016, 03:47 PM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BlackJack58

I had a friend that was successful in the earth moving business, spent years building up a beautiful ranch in Missouri to retire to. About the time he was ready, their first grand kid came along and his wife refused to move. Now he's looking to sell the ranch.
Old 05-18-2016, 03:49 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 393 Likes on 141 Posts

Great thread. We are going to look at a place on the St. John river over Memorial day. just a 2/2 now, and will serve it's purpose until we move up there full time after I retire in about 5 years. got get my youngest thru college, (already payed for) and then we are going to hang out with the local rednecks on the SJR!
Old 05-18-2016, 06:16 PM
Registered

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 314joey
I'm pretty happy livin' 6 months at LOTO and 6 months in Cape Coral, Florida, get the best of both worlds.
That would work perfect for me! Except maybe Cumberland instead of LOTO.
Old 05-19-2016, 07:57 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Cash Bar
Florida born and raised. Always plan to have a place here. In the future we hope to have a Summer house on LOTO.

That being said I thought that Lake havasu would be a cool place to "retire". Lots of houses being built with DOUBLE RV/Boat garages and 2-4 car regular garages. Not too expensive, fresh water lakes and one of the best car places in the country. Add in Vegas/Cali/Grand Canyon all within a few hours and it's nice option. One I think my brother(also Fla native) is seriously considering.
Agreed. I love the southwest. No houses on the water on Havasu, but you can up river in Bullhead City and such.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.