Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Boat theft in Florida is so bad they are stealing SeaTow boats now! >

Boat theft in Florida is so bad they are stealing SeaTow boats now!

Notices

Boat theft in Florida is so bad they are stealing SeaTow boats now!

Old 05-20-2016, 08:17 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a cheap boat but I still have a 100.00 spot trace that costs me 100.0 a year and you could steal my boat and I would know excactly where you went and you would never find it its tiny. Seems like cheap insurance especially if your boats actually worth something.
Old 05-20-2016, 08:44 PM
Registered

Received 885 Likes on 480 Posts

Originally Posted by cigrocket
FLORIDA
"A sunny place with a lot of shady people"

Keys in the ignition mean nothing, you can start a boat with a screwdriver in 10 sec holding a can of beer
Funny story:

I recommended a local shop to a buddy to remove/inspect/swap his XRs. Shop is highly regarded and at the time had a lot of heavy iron in there so a 525/XR boat would not exactly be the baddest boat in the barn. Boat was delivered by 3rd party trailering and my buddy kept the keys (thinking the mechanic wouldn't take it for a ride). Work was done, mechanic did a quick (15 min) ride just to be sure it was back to perfect. My buddy comes to get it and the mechanic says "you forgot to leave the keys but we took it for a test drive and it was fine".......then showed how easy it is to start a boat with no keys!

Same buddy has had 3 new Ferraris (plays the order new, sell back to the dealer for a profit game). He is getting a new 458 and is sitting at a traffic light off the highway off ramp. Sees 2 guys scream by in a red 458. Gets to the dealer and realizes that was his car! Dealer said they were employees doing a pre-delivery checklist. He complains, they stop him quickly by saying if you don't want the car we will refund your deposit and sell it to someone else........He bought the "Ferris Ferrari"
Old 05-20-2016, 08:59 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Boat theft and boat part thefts are getting out of control. Florida is one of the worst that are taking place. I hear stories everyday from people who are in the industry in Florida. Some of the stories are unbelievable but true and it is true alot thefts are taking place in the day lite hours as well.
Old 05-21-2016, 05:31 AM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 864 Likes on 317 Posts

Sheesh...in this day of technology can't Merc or someone come up with something simple like a password that enables/disables the electronics? We're so connected to these stupid phones we shove in our faces all day someone can't come up with an app or something to disable the computer? Won't work on the older style engines but modern technology can surely combat this right?

On the mechanical side isn't there something that could be done to disable the engine somehow? Something that would take a bit of engine troubleshooting knowledge to correct?
Old 05-21-2016, 09:07 AM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 39 Posts

Hey Indy, How about an old fashion hidden kill switch?
Old 05-21-2016, 09:19 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My boat doesn't even have a key. Maybe I should put a switch in a hidden spot
Old 05-21-2016, 09:22 AM
SB
Registered

Received 3,115 Likes on 1,402 Posts

Originally Posted by Indy
Sheesh...in this day of technology can't Merc or someone come up with something simple like a password that enables/disables the electronics? We're so connected to these stupid phones we shove in our faces all day someone can't come up with an app or something to disable the computer? Won't work on the older style engines but modern technology can surely combat this right?

On the mechanical side isn't there something that could be done to disable the engine somehow? Something that would take a bit of engine troubleshooting knowledge to correct?
Some car alarms have mobile phone apps.

I agree w/ finscreename. This can be very effective. I did one for a friend. Thing that suked was he once forot about it. How, I don't know.

I marine cop took my coil wire once. That was effective ! Long story, but it's on the forums somewhere.
Old 05-21-2016, 09:33 AM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 39 Posts

Maybe just pull the lanyard but after a while they will have extra clips with them. Still wont help if they come up with another boat and just drag it off though.
Old 05-21-2016, 10:06 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Indy

Snowmobiles have been using similar technology for years...
Old 05-21-2016, 10:16 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A friend of mine launched from same area at the 14th Street boat ramp in Pompano for a fun day of fishing, came back in and somebody had stolen his Ford 250 pickup and trailer. Was really screwed up as he could not only pull his boat out, but also had lost his truck that he needed for his daily work vehicle.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.