Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Boat theft in Florida is so bad they are stealing SeaTow boats now! >

Boat theft in Florida is so bad they are stealing SeaTow boats now!

Notices

Boat theft in Florida is so bad they are stealing SeaTow boats now!

Old 05-21-2016, 10:45 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Where i park my stuff in a secured, gated and well lit with plenty of surveilance cameras facility in Boca, theives cut loose some of the chain link fence backed up with THICK ficus trees to enter yard one night. They targeted all the Yamaha lower units and stainless props, directly underneath the security cameras and bright lighting, and were not concerned at all as they casually worked in shorts and flip flops and not concealing their faces. I watched the videos provided to the police, and despite the perps looking directly up into the cameras as they walked by with the lower units in arm, the cops have not made any arrests.

One of the insurance companies said that in another South Florida facility they cover, perps have hit it over 13 times.
Old 05-21-2016, 10:46 AM
Registered

Received 885 Likes on 480 Posts

Originally Posted by stealth1
A friend of mine launched from same area at the 14th Street boat ramp in Pompano for a fun day of fishing, came back in and somebody had stolen his Ford 250 pickup and trailer. Was really screwed up as he could not only pull his boat out, but also had lost his truck that he needed for his daily work vehicle.
I had a buddy meet me at a ramp to ride jet skiis, he was driving a company truck. They stole the truck and recovered it (GPS) but of course the tools were all gone....they even took the pencils out of the center console! He unfortunately got fired after that. GPS showed the truck was stolen about 15 minutes after we pulled away from the ramp on the jet skiis.
Old 05-21-2016, 11:39 AM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Many boats do not need a key to start them. Can not tell you how many boat owners forget their keys when bringing their boats in for service. I have all the master sets for Mercruiser and Volvo. Believe or not one key can work for the ignition that does not even look the same as the original key that came with the boat. Also hand held remote starters can start alot of marine engines when connected correctly. I use these alot back on the engine side especially checking compression on each cylinder and so on.
Very easy to start marine engines without keys. Not all but at least 75 % running around.

Last edited by BUP; 05-21-2016 at 11:43 AM.
Old 05-21-2016, 03:24 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Someone on this thread asked about my gps. Here is a link to the unit. http://www.findmespot.com/en/index.php?cid=128 it's 100.00 and the service is 100.00 a year. If the boat moves more then 10 feet from where it's parked I get a email, and a text message. Then it tracks the boats location every 5 minutes until it stops for 10 minutes. When the boat moves it goes back to tracking mode. The lithium Aa battery lasts about 11 months. I'm super happy with the service and just bought another one for my hot rod.

Also side note, when I was broke down in the bahamas and i had to leave it for a week. I zip tied the shift innterupt switch and took the coil wire.

Last edited by Ta12sec; 05-21-2016 at 03:27 PM.
Old 05-21-2016, 05:23 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jupiter Sunsation
I had a buddy meet me at a ramp to ride jet skiis, he was driving a company truck. They stole the truck and recovered it (GPS) but of course the tools were all gone....they even took the pencils out of the center console! He unfortunately got fired after that. GPS showed the truck was stolen about 15 minutes after we pulled away from the ramp on the jet skiis.
Okay, in one thread you say flatida is the best and in the next everything gets stolen within minutes.
The simple fact that I'm not worried all the time makes some cold weather well worth the price of plowing the driveway and shoveling the walk.
Florida is a beautiful place but not without it's own issues.
Old 05-21-2016, 08:34 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sea Doo have had coded lanyards for years, put the wrong one in and she's a no go... Seeing as bombardier is the parent company you'd think it'd be fairly easy to work this into their outboard product line.
Old 05-22-2016, 07:25 AM
Registered

Received 885 Likes on 480 Posts

Originally Posted by buck35
Okay, in one thread you say flatida is the best and in the next everything gets stolen within minutes.
The simple fact that I'm not worried all the time makes some cold weather well worth the price of plowing the driveway and shoveling the walk.
Florida is a beautiful place but not without it's own issues.
You might have me confused with someone else........I've lived here for over 40 years and it is far from perfect.

Floriduh has the best weather in the country in the winter, however it also has everyone else's deadbeats too! Can't make it in Hometown, USA? Move to Florida because you had a great vacation there 17 years ago! Lots of people feel their zip code is their problem so if they move they will get a fresh start. The problem is they don't change, their problems follow them to Florida and in most cases they don't have the friends/family network they did in Hometown, USA which makes Florida that much harder for them.
Old 05-22-2016, 07:36 AM
Registered

Received 566 Likes on 234 Posts

Originally Posted by Jupiter Sunsation
You might have me confused with someone else........I've lived here for over 40 years and it is far from perfect.

Floriduh has the best weather in the country in the winter, however it also has everyone else's deadbeats too! Can't make it in Hometown, USA? Move to Florida because you had a great vacation there 17 years ago! Lots of people feel their zip code is their problem so if they move they will get a fresh start. The problem is they don't change, their problems follow them to Florida and in most cases they don't have the friends/family network they did in Hometown, USA which makes Florida that much harder for them.
Yep

My old mom used to say

Florida is a place where a lot of people move to who couldn't,t make it anywhere else.

Lol guess that includes me moving here at 21.
Old 05-22-2016, 08:23 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Ta12sec
Someone on this thread asked about my gps. Here is a link to the unit. http://www.findmespot.com/en/index.php?cid=128 it's 100.00 and the service is 100.00 a year. If the boat moves more then 10 feet from where it's parked I get a email, and a text message. Then it tracks the boats location every 5 minutes until it stops for 10 minutes. When the boat moves it goes back to tracking mode. The lithium Aa battery lasts about 11 months. I'm super happy with the service and just bought another one for my hot rod.

Also side note, when I was broke down in the bahamas and i had to leave it for a week. I zip tied the shift innterupt switch and took the coil wire.
Silly question....How do you disable the device when you want to use your boat? I looked on there website but it doesn't really say! Hopefully you can do it from the app and not actually have to press the power button on the physical device?
Old 05-22-2016, 02:40 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 502ss
Silly question....How do you disable the device when you want to use your boat? I looked on there website but it doesn't really say! Hopefully you can do it from the app and not actually have to press the power button on the physical device?

I don't, I get messages when it comes off the rack and if I park somewhere and then move again and it tracks the boat while I run it. You can turn it off with the app.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.