Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Boat theft in Florida is so bad they are stealing SeaTow boats now! >

Boat theft in Florida is so bad they are stealing SeaTow boats now!

Notices

Boat theft in Florida is so bad they are stealing SeaTow boats now!

Old 05-20-2016, 08:37 AM
Registered

Received 885 Likes on 480 Posts
Default Boat theft in Florida is so bad they are stealing SeaTow boats now!

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/local/br...519-story.html

A man seen trying to steal a boat in Pompano Beach while smoking a cigarette and wearing nothing but a pair of boxer shorts was arrested Wednesday and charged with the theft of another vessel.

Raykel Carmona, 28, of North Miami, was taken into custody hours after Sea Tow began circulating surveillance images of him attempting to steal one of the company's boats from the Hillsboro Inlet Fishing Center.

A man, later identified as Carmona, was seen aboard the 30-foot Alma Rib boat, valued at $271,000, just after midnight Wednesday, according to Sea Tow. He couldn't get the boat in gear and left it adrift, according to an arrest report.

While reviewing surveillance video from the boat, a Sea Tow captain recognized the culprit as a man he'd seen aboard another vessel the day before.

armona was seen aboard a 30-foot Regal boat that was bobbing on the water near the inlet Tuesday afternoon. The Sea Tow captain offered assistance, but Carmona declined and later jumped off the boat and swam to shore, Sea Tow said.

At the time, Sea Tow called authorities to report that a vessel had been left anchored offshore. The vessel, named Weekend Getaway, had been reported stolen from Pompano Beach earlier that day.

"He was acting very odd, so the captain took a few photographs of him," a Sea Tow spokesperson said Thursday. "He had a distinctive tattoo on his left arm. Instantly, we saw a clear resemblance."

Owner Ronald Layton was out of town on business Tuesday when he noticed his $30,000 boat missing through a webcam feed that looks out on the dock behind his home.

"I [look back at the recording] and, sure enough, I'm watching this guy nonchalantly jump on my boat," Layton said Thursday. "It's just the weirdest thing. In the middle of the day, he just got on it like it was nothing. When I take my boat out, I'm more uptight than he was."

A Sea Tow captain took a photograph of a man "acting odd" aboard a 30-foot boat near the Hillsboro Inlet Tuesday. He jumped off and swam to shore, leaving behind the boat, which had been reported stolen hour earlier. (Sea Tow/Courtesy)
Layton said it appears Carmona only got one of the two engines to turn on, and then took off "at full speed," which damaged the engine and left him stranded in the water.

"I got the boat back, but one of the engines is fried," he said. "The good thing is he's in custody."

Carmona is facing several charges, including burglary, grand theft and criminal mischief, court records show.
Old 05-20-2016, 11:06 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unbelievable. And they walk among us.
Old 05-20-2016, 11:13 AM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 39 Posts

Stealing a Sea Tow boat should be legal being they rip off everyone they come in contact with.
I wonder how many stolen boats have the key in the ignition?
Old 05-20-2016, 11:30 AM
Registered

It's pretty crazy and has been for quite a while. Last Thursday, a few individuals pulled up to my neighbors house, untied his Pursuit 385 Offshore/triple 350 Yamaha rig and flew off into the sunset. Haven't seen the boat since. This was in the middle of the afternoon. Unreal. Detective said with 99% certainty that the boat will go to Cuba empty, then off to Mexico loaded and then be dumped or stripped.

They also caught a guy last week stashing 350 gallons of stolen fuel in the mangroves off of Cayo Costa. Only conceivable reason for stashing that much stolen fuel on one of the barrier islands is to load it onto stolen boats heading south.

Out of control and we're all paying for it.
Old 05-20-2016, 12:05 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by BigMike
It's pretty crazy and has been for quite a while. Last Thursday, a few individuals pulled up to my neighbors house, untied his Pursuit 385 Offshore/triple 350 Yamaha rig and flew off into the sunset. Haven't seen the boat since. This was in the middle of the afternoon. Unreal. Detective said with 99% certainty that the boat will go to Cuba empty, then off to Mexico loaded and then be dumped or stripped.

They also caught a guy last week stashing 350 gallons of stolen fuel in the mangroves off of Cayo Costa. Only conceivable reason for stashing that much stolen fuel on one of the barrier islands is to load it onto stolen boats heading south.

Out of control and we're all paying for it.
You are absolutely right. It has been crazy for a while. Boats, motors, electronics. Nothing is safe these days. And they are definitely getting bolder by the day.
Old 05-20-2016, 12:39 PM
Registered

Received 159 Likes on 78 Posts

FLORIDA
"A sunny place with a lot of shady people"

Keys in the ignition mean nothing, you can start a boat with a screwdriver in 10 sec holding a can of beer
Old 05-20-2016, 01:11 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 866 Likes on 325 Posts

Originally Posted by cigrocket
FLORIDA
"A sunny place with a lot of shady people"

Thats the truth!
Old 05-20-2016, 02:00 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

A Sea Tow captain took a photograph of a man "acting odd"

Oh Hell No !!! That covers about half of the A$$ Holes down here !!! LOL
Old 05-20-2016, 05:43 PM
Registered

Received 482 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by keith atlanta
thats the truth!
yuuuuup!
Old 05-20-2016, 07:34 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Using a boat that looks like a Sea-Tow boat; and use it to steal other boats is actually a brilliant idea, but I'm not condoning it.
Solid plan. Poor execution.

Last edited by Sydwayz; 05-20-2016 at 09:30 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.