500 efi dying after...30 seconds >

500 efi dying after...30 seconds

Notices

500 efi dying after...30 seconds

Old 05-29-2016, 11:39 AM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

the fact of the matter is after engine shut the fuel filters NEED to be 110 % full when you start to take them off. If not and they are 2/3 or 3/4 full YOU HAVE fuel delivery problem end of story - One issue and next is, scan the engine to look for fault codes and all engine running parameters.Read all of that to a T. ------ Many boats have more than one issue lurking or taking place at the sametime. .

Next very important install a fuel pressure gauge to monitor the fuel psi readings especially at shut down. You need to maintain proper psi from key on to engine running thru out all rpm ranges to engine shut down - if the proper pressure is not met and or is not stable u have a fuel delivery problem ie: restrictions - ie: weak or bad fuel pumps or weak voltage. This is how a marine tech would approach the issues at hand instead of keep attempting driving expensive engines around with possible very lean conditions or at the very least stranded out on the waterways because of mechanical unknowns.. --

Fuel samples and water in the fuel another test to look at.

Last edited by BUP; 05-29-2016 at 11:45 AM.
Old 05-29-2016, 12:34 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not sure how accessible the low pressure pump is on your setup, but try swapping with one of others .
Didn't you mention a while back over a thousand trouble free hours?
Old 05-29-2016, 12:52 PM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 864 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by BUP
the fact of the matter is after engine shut the fuel filters NEED to be 110 % full when you start to take them off. If not and they are 2/3 or 3/4 full YOU HAVE fuel delivery problem end of story - One issue and next is, scan the engine to look for fault codes and all engine running parameters.Read all of that to a T. ------ Many boats have more than one issue lurking or taking place at the sametime. .

Next very important install a fuel pressure gauge to monitor the fuel psi readings especially at shut down. You need to maintain proper psi from key on to engine running thru out all rpm ranges to engine shut down - if the proper pressure is not met and or is not stable u have a fuel delivery problem ie: restrictions - ie: weak or bad fuel pumps or weak voltage. This is how a marine tech would approach the issues at hand instead of keep attempting driving expensive engines around with possible very lean conditions or at the very least stranded out on the waterways because of mechanical unknowns.. --

Fuel samples and water in the fuel another test to look at.
BUP is an asset to this place (so is everyone else who contributes), your roadmap is outlined above.
Old 05-29-2016, 02:44 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 366 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by buck35
Not sure how accessible the low pressure pump is on your setup, but try swapping with one of others .
Didn't you mention a while back over a thousand trouble free hours?
trouble free till when i stored it! surprise for the spring!!!
Old 05-30-2016, 12:29 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jeff32
trouble free till when i stored it! surprise for the spring!!!
You have to knock on wood! Lol.!
Old 05-30-2016, 12:51 PM
BUP
Banned

welcome to boating one minute all systems are a go and the next day all systems are a NO GO. Even storing for one hour timeframe more of less over the winter. Alot of times the longer the boat is stored the more problems will pop up during engine running timeframes and this holds very true from boat owners who do not properly lay up their boats and engines for storage. I see more problems from stored boats than boats that are ran 6 hours per day every day all year long.
Old 05-30-2016, 09:12 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 366 Likes on 245 Posts

[ATTACH=CONFIG]556015[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]556016[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]556015[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]556016[/ATTACH]Some updates from tonight!
Port engine problem So i unpluged right before the first saej1171 fuel pump wich was like 3 feet after the fuel tank
And i unscrewed the brass fitting entering the water separator adaptor.of course fuel came out of both side of pump and hose but nothing special. Then i did same with stbd engine fuel pump, and installedit on port engine giving me the problem.

Started engine, and ran for 20 minutes, enough to warm it up and do the oil change! So happy finding my problem with a default fuel pump!

So took off hose again before the pump to reinstall it back to stbd engine, and of course it poured gas out of of the pump, but also a ton of debris looking like metal/aluminum ... Cant see how this got in the tank but any ways! Did not know if it was already in the pump from stbd engine or if it got there from port engine... Looking at it closely it came from port. Anyways, blew all fuel hoses in engines compartment, and those going back to tank...

2 questions: i cant believe there are no fuel filter BEFORE the pump!!!! Can we install one and if so wich model?

Second question: i blew the hose and fuel pump both ways so the debris go out... Are they clean and reliable now that i blew them both ways? Or the way they are made you cant blow them and clean them enough to use them again? I think my pump was not broken, just clogged...

What are your opinion on fuel filter before pump and use again or change fuel pump?
Attached Thumbnails 500 efi dying after...30 seconds-image.jpg   500 efi dying after...30 seconds-image.jpg  
Old 05-30-2016, 11:19 PM
BUP
Banned

man post # 11 and basically guessed it all from the start without even looking at your boat. as a poster - sometimes you get you lucky and sometimes your guess right and sometimes you are just pretty damn good at fixing boats. Even without looking at them. I let you pick one . Good luck with the fuel deliver problem. Keep cleaning your entire fuel system including the gas tank along with some possible part changes.

Then keep doing fuel samples until spotless. Also possible or very wise to have your fuel injectors tested and serviced. Your fuel system has had trash ran thru it that is smaller than the micron rating of all the filters.

More filters added inline the harder the pumps will have work and can cause lean conditions. You need need to post your fuel set up before anyone can you give you straight answers.

BTW it looks like someone possible drilled into the fuel tank added a return line fitting or something else like that or - POSSIBLE ALUMINUM CORROSION hard to tell from pic if that is corrosion. My best guess at that as well to were all the metal shavings came from.

Last edited by BUP; 05-30-2016 at 11:44 PM.