Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Advice wanted on shopping for used 31' twin engine boat >

Advice wanted on shopping for used 31' twin engine boat

Notices

Advice wanted on shopping for used 31' twin engine boat

Old 05-29-2016, 06:02 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am not actually biased or stuck on any brand of boat. More focused on low hour engines or even a repowered boat with well maintained out drives. I do plan on getting the boat I decide on surveyed especially for the moisture and rot issues. I live in the hub of the Great Lakes. So would like a boat that handles 3-5 foot chop well. The wife and I plan on staying over night on the boat as well.
Old 05-29-2016, 06:05 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by rak rua
Both great boats. Anything starting with an 'F' is fun.

I don't know the water conditions where you boat but regarding the two boats, Fountain should be quite a bit faster with similar power but Formula has a few more little amenities and bigger cabins. Also more freeboard on a Formula if that's important. Check how they measure overall length, I'm not sure with the Formula model you're looking at but Fountain measurements include the swim platform so allow maybe 18".

Don't know how experienced you are with boats but a marine survey is always a good idea, on older boats it's essential to check for moisture in stringers/transom area. Beyond that, buy the latest model lowest hour boat you can find in your budget, get an idea of the vendors integrity, there's always a bit of trust in any purchase so if you think you've got a real honest vendor that will help. Unless you're good with a shifter, standard engines will generally save you costly headaches over a custom build.

RR
Thanks for the advice. Good with a shifter? Standard engines will save me costly headaches? Please explain.
Old 05-29-2016, 06:12 PM
Registered

Thumbs up

Bump

Last edited by simpson8; 05-29-2016 at 06:19 PM.
Old 05-29-2016, 06:23 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by simpson8
I am not actually biased or stuck on any brand of boat. More focused on low hour engines or even a repowered boat with well maintained out drives. I do plan on getting the boat I decide on surveyed especially for the moisture and rot issues. I live in the hub of the Great Lakes. So would like a boat that handles 3-5 foot chop well. The wife and I plan on staying over night on the boat as well.
Thanks for the advice. Good with a shifter? Standard engines will save me costly headaches? Please explain.
Originally Posted by Sydwayz
Make sure you ride what you plan to purchase.

Windshield boats can be good and bad. While, they work well for some folks, because they are the proper height to look through the windshield...
..some folks are too tall, and the frame ends up in their primary field of view, OR if they taller the windshield sends the wind into their face. Windshields deflect the air diagonally, whereas boats with a fairing typically have flare that sends the wind upwards, and then back over the cockpit.

Also, the further the windshield or fairing/windscreen is from your face, the less it is going to do for you. Boats with loooooooooong dashes are not so good as the wind just wraps over and still smacks you in the face. The more wind you have to endure, the more your ears have to process the sound, and yes, this actually tires you out. My buddy's 30' Baja is a great boat, but a day out on that boat vs. a day out on my boat with a windscreen that is much closer to your face when driving is DRASTICALLY different.
I figured a full windshield would be good because of the cooler surprise weather and rain showers we can get all of the sudden.
Old 05-29-2016, 08:14 PM
Registered

Received 57 Likes on 27 Posts

If you are looking for a boat that size for the Great Lakes and to overnight on, it is hard to beat a 31 Sonic.
Old 05-29-2016, 09:08 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm willing to bet he's speaking of a "spanner" as they call it in the UK / "shifter" down under, or "spinning wrenches" here in the good ol USA.

BTW...

Rak Rua is an Aussie in Thailand, which is most likely 12 hours time zone difference from the Great Lakes area, which is probably why you have yet to see his response

Last edited by offshore312; 05-30-2016 at 10:41 AM.
Old 05-29-2016, 09:30 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1,125 Likes on 475 Posts

Looong post deleted.
Start again....

Reading below, you're well versed with the mechanicals and sounds like you'll do your own work. Good for you.

Happy shopping!

RR

Last edited by rak rua; 05-29-2016 at 11:58 PM.
Old 05-29-2016, 09:34 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1,125 Likes on 475 Posts

Originally Posted by offshore312
I'm willing to bet he speaking of a "spanner" as they call it in the UK / "shifter" down under or a "spinning wrenches" here in the good ol USA.

BTW...

Rak Rua is an Aussie in Thailand, which is most likely 12 hours time zone difference from the Great Lakes area, which is probably why you have yet to see his response
Shifter, spanner, wrench........whatever!
One of those shiny silver things you use to tighten nuts and bolts. Sorry, Aussie vernacular.
Old 05-29-2016, 10:38 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by rak rua
Shifter, spanner, wrench........whatever!
One of those shiny silver things you use to tighten nuts and bolts. Sorry, Aussie vernacular.
Lol. Ok I got it now. Actually I am knowledgeable when it comes to wrenching. I have been around old school big block smaller boats and trucks. I do plan on doing all my own wrenching on the boat. I'd like to stay in the 31'-33' boat range for trailering and launching. I do have an f350 4x4 CCLB SRW V10 to pull with, so no problem with pulling.
One boat I was looking at at was a 1986 311 with trs drives and 498cu dart blocks with less than 15 hours on both of them. I like the idea of fresh engines and upgraded velvet drives. But I'm still open to any suggestion s and advice.