Advice wanted on shopping for used 31' twin engine boat >

Advice wanted on shopping for used 31' twin engine boat

Notices

Advice wanted on shopping for used 31' twin engine boat

Old 05-28-2016, 06:19 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice wanted on shopping for used 31' twin engine boat

I've been looking at few different boats. I like the formula 311s for vintage looks, full windshield, large and roomy and supposedly good in rough water. Fountain seems to be a good boat too. I plan on boating in the Great Lakes area. Any advice and input is greatly appreciated.

Last edited by simpson8; 05-28-2016 at 06:34 PM.
Old 05-28-2016, 10:05 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1,124 Likes on 474 Posts

Both great boats. Anything starting with an 'F' is fun.

I don't know the water conditions where you boat but regarding the two boats, Fountain should be quite a bit faster with similar power but Formula has a few more little amenities and bigger cabins. Also more freeboard on a Formula if that's important. Check how they measure overall length, I'm not sure with the Formula model you're looking at but Fountain measurements include the swim platform so allow maybe 18".

Don't know how experienced you are with boats but a marine survey is always a good idea, on older boats it's essential to check for moisture in stringers/transom area. Beyond that, buy the latest model lowest hour boat you can find in your budget, get an idea of the vendors integrity, there's always a bit of trust in any purchase so if you think you've got a real honest vendor that will help. Unless you're good with a shifter, standard engines will generally save you costly headaches over a custom build.

RR
Old 05-29-2016, 08:45 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

SURVEY, SURVEY, and SURVEY
The most important aspect in the purchase -- if it doesn't pass the walk on - unless you have deep pockets to fix everything.

I've said this a number of times. Take a look at the bilge and the motors -- is the bilge clean or is their mold, mildew? Is the engine clean- or does it look like most of the components have been removed a couple of times. Then comes the outdrive(s). Are they beat to snot? is the steg in good shape? What do the props look like - dings. I swear from these two areas of a boat it will speak volumes how the owner has taken care of and/or maintained the boat.

Regarding brand -- I'm in love with Cobalt -

It's very true boats beginning with F are Fun -- However, boats beginning with C are CLASS!!
Only joking

All the best in your search!

3pointstar
Old 05-29-2016, 09:30 AM
Registered

Received 258 Likes on 149 Posts

Formula is a little slower but little bigger and more elbow room

Fountain is faster but a little tighter and smaller .

Both are fun and great boats
Old 05-29-2016, 09:49 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Make sure you ride what you plan to purchase.

Windshield boats can be good and bad. While, they work well for some folks, because they are the proper height to look through the windshield...
..some folks are too tall, and the frame ends up in their primary field of view, OR if they taller the windshield sends the wind into their face. Windshields deflect the air diagonally, whereas boats with a fairing typically have flare that sends the wind upwards, and then back over the cockpit.

Also, the further the windshield or fairing/windscreen is from your face, the less it is going to do for you. Boats with loooooooooong dashes are not so good as the wind just wraps over and still smacks you in the face. The more wind you have to endure, the more your ears have to process the sound, and yes, this actually tires you out. My buddy's 30' Baja is a great boat, but a day out on that boat vs. a day out on my boat with a windscreen that is much closer to your face when driving is DRASTICALLY different.
Old 05-29-2016, 09:53 AM
Registered

Received 545 Likes on 330 Posts

buy boats where they have been owned/used mostly in the Northern areas like Canada, Michigan and LOTO.

These boats tend to be nicer and in better shape as they're used only like 4~5 months out of the year then stored.

Usually will be fresh water-use as well.

Good luck, please let us know what you got and share pics too

Old 05-29-2016, 10:00 AM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 864 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
Make sure you ride what you plan to purchase.

Windshield boats can be good and bad. While, they work well for some folks, because they are the proper height to look through the windshield...
..some folks are too tall, and the frame ends up in their primary field of view, OR if they taller the windshield sends the wind into their face. Windshields deflect the air diagonally, whereas boats with a fairing typically have flare that sends the wind upwards, and then back over the cockpit.

Also, the further the windshield or fairing/windscreen is from your face, the less it is going to do for you. Boats with loooooooooong dashes are not so good as the wind just wraps over and still smacks you in the face. The more wind you have to endure, the more your ears have to process the sound, and yes, this actually tires you out. My buddy's 30' Baja is a great boat, but a day out on that boat vs. a day out on my boat with a windscreen that is much closer to your face when driving is DRASTICALLY different.
Good advise, my Nordic had a full wrap windscreen that did and excellent job of deflecting the wind right into our faces. It was so bad I purchased a set of Wind-Aways (unfortunately no longer in business) and problem was solved.
Old 05-29-2016, 01:13 PM
Registered

I am short enough to have to stand up in most boats and catch all the wind right in the kisser, all the time. Actually kind of depressing. I really like/ want an OL Stiletto, but after being in one, I may be too short to pilot her. Hence the suggestions about driving them. Good luck with your search!
Old 05-29-2016, 02:21 PM
VP of the tickfaw200

Received 148 Likes on 60 Posts

Have you looked at the 31 cigarette Bullet? Like the formula Also. They are both shower then a 32 fountain but bigger.
Old 05-29-2016, 05:52 PM
Registered

Thanks for the advice. Good with a shifter? Standard engines will save me costly headaches? Please explain.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.