Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
The joys of buying a used six figure performance boat. >

The joys of buying a used six figure performance boat.

Notices

The joys of buying a used six figure performance boat.

Old 06-06-2016, 06:50 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

Sorry that you are going thru this. You went above where you wanted to be budget wise to avoid problems and pay the extra for a nice boat. Now you have this mess to deal with. We just recently purchased another boat and went thru the whole purchase process. Boat was located 1,200 miles away. I found my own surveyor with excellent credentials, didn't know the seller from Adam. I had him survey the boat, arrange a mechanical inspection at a local to him shop, and had him do a sea trial with photos and some video. $750 well spent.
At this point I agree with what has been said, tell your story, fix it and move on. The legal route will wear you down and in the end will most likely not bear fruit.
Old 06-06-2016, 06:54 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Unlimited jd
Another reason I say surveyors are bs and have someone who actually knows boats look it over
Couldn't agree more! I pretty much paid one to take a 93mph boat ride a few years back when I bought the 35. Was counting on this d-bag to be my eyes as the boat was 1000 miles away. Lesson learned. The pathetically obvious stuff he missed is killed me . To the tune of about $2k !
Old 06-06-2016, 06:58 AM
Registered

Received 258 Likes on 149 Posts

Wow.

I would be so upset and irate. That is terrible who ever set that up. Such a shame be it the old owner or the dealer who sold it.
Old 06-06-2016, 07:00 AM
Registered

Received 258 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by Unlimited jd
Another reason I say surveyors are bs and have someone who actually knows boats look it over

Ed Cozzi did mine and I know he is very knowledgeable and did an amazing job. Not all are bad out there and also for banks if someone is financing...you can just use any body.
Old 06-06-2016, 07:03 AM
Registered

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Ouch, hate to hear this, as LCM has a pretty good reputation nowadays............
Old 06-06-2016, 07:06 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Nate5.0
Ed Cozzi did mine and I know he is very knowledgeable and did an amazing job. Not all are bad out there and also for banks if someone is financing...you can just use any body.
Also all the insurance companies I contacted wanted a licensed survey before writing a quote. Not fair to label surveyors all bad and crooks to take your money. There are professionals out there, have to do your homework.
Old 06-06-2016, 07:10 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 122 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by Nate5.0
Very knowledgeable and did an amazing job. Not all are bad out there
I agree. The guy who surveyed the boat I recently sold did a great job. Although, there does seem to be a lot of shifty people in the marine industry.

Good luck with getting the boat fixed right.
Old 06-06-2016, 07:34 AM
mmb
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A surveyor does nothing more than start engines and says yes they run. Put the boat in gear and says yes it moves. Flip switches on the dash and says yes stuff turns on. Walks around the boat and says everything looks in order. Biggest joke in the world.

And if you need it surveyed for insurance just make sure your boat passes the above test and you will have AWESOME insurance coverage......

Then the survey has a bunch of fine print at the end of it that basically says - "when you find something wrong I am not responsible for missing it"
Old 06-06-2016, 08:08 AM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Nuke427
After many months of searching for the perfect boat after not being able to make a deal on a 38’ Donzi ZR here locally with Performance Boat Center, I saw this awesome Nor-Tech 3900 SuperVee at Lake Cumberland Marine early this February. It was priced over my budget, but I figured what the heck I’ll shoot an email to see if we can get closer. They countered my offer, I countered back and sure enough, Dan Candido, a salesman at Lake Cumberland Marine replied back and we were in business. All I needed was a survey to ensure the boat was as “sweet” as Dan kept telling me it was as I’m in Missouri and the boat is in Kentucky. Dan would routinely tell me how the previous owner, Matt Garland, was super anal and kept everything in tip top shape, whatever the cost. Dan ended up hooking me up with Bill Burke from Northwood Marine Services, a local surveyor who had just happened to survey this boat for another perspective buyer about 30 days prior, whose finances fell through. Bill was nice enough to send me the survey free of charge and I was excited as Bill is an accredited surveyor. I was so thankful to Bill for saving me $750. The survey told the story I wanted to hear, basically the only flaws were a couple missing screws on the helm and it didn’t have fire extinguishers and the appropriate personal floatation devices. Man was I stoked, especially when I read in Bill’s report that the hull of the boat lacked any nicks or scratches and was near “pristine”. Let’s make the deal!

So I drive to Kentucky to pick up the boat about a month later. I see it in person and sure enough it looks great. They fire up the engines for me and man did it sound awesome. I was so excited to finally have my dream boat and seeing it in person made it so much better because it was actual right in front of me and it appeared just as everyone told me it was. I signed some papers and hooked it up and drove it back to Missouri. I dropped it off in a garage my Dad owns and waited until I had enough time off work to put it in the water and drive it. I counted down the days, there were nearly 50 of them. Then finally came the day to put it in the water. My wife and I couldn’t wait, we backed in the trailer, fired the boat up and we were off! After an hour or so of driving, we took it back to the dock and put it up on the boat lift. I looked at the hull when it was up and thought, man, we must have hit something as chunks of gel coat were coming off, down to the fiberglass. The more I investigated the more I didn’t think I did hit anything. There were cracks in the gel up and down both sides of the lower hull. At one crack at the top of the starboard chine, I was able to push on it and water started coming out of the boat.

Man, I was freaking disappointed and depressed as all get out. We pull the boat back out of the water and I take it to Terry’s Marine, a fiberglass repair shop here at the lake. Terry looks at the boat and tells me that not only do I have issues that are obvious (gel coat falling off), this boat has had a terrible cover up repair job utilizing white paint and clear coat. Basically, the boat had the ¼” of gel-coat applied, smoothed, painted and cleared so it looked awesome. But you put it in the water and this awesome looking gel-coat does not stand up to the stresses of a boat this size driving down the lake, so it started popping off. And where it popped off, water was allowed to enter the hull because the fiberglass repair it needed was non-existent or so poorly done it was worthless for structural integrity. I have no idea what Matt Garland hit with this boat or if Lake Cumberland dropped it moving it or what. I do know this damage must have occurred after October 2015 because I know Matt participated in a Florida Poker Run around that time and there’s no way it was with the hull in this dismal condition. So it was an obvious, cover up repair/sell deal. I just can’t understand why anyone would put such a crappy “cover-up” patch job on such a nice boat. I paid $140,000 for this boat and Matt purchased a 412 Skater to replace it, so he had money to fix this correctly one would think. I’m guessing he just wanted to screw somebody to save a buck or he got screwed on the repair himself.

I have been in contact with Dan from Lake Cumberland and Bill the surveyor requesting help and both basically said “not my problem”. I’m curious if maybe Lake Cumberland did the fiberglass repair work, then sold me the boat without letting me know they just shoddily repaired it. Maybe not, I’ll never know because I can’t get any answers. Regardless, I’m just sharing my story so maybe others can learn from what has happened here. This will end up costing me thousands and at least 2 months of boating this year. But, the boat is currently getting repaired by the best in the business, so it will be done right and it will again be an awesome boat. I do have pictures of the junk repair job and a video of me pushing on the chine watching water come out for anyone interested. Buyers be overly cautious, of course, not sure what else I could have done except take it on a test drive for an hour on a rough water day, then pull it out and inspect it again prior to buying it. 1st world problem here I know, but pretty bummed about it.
It sounds like the dealer and surveyor knew each other. Anytime a survey is done it should be a neutral third party. I feel terrible you have to go through this I can't even imagine what it's like to spend that kind of money and to get screwed over. Have you asked the surveyor if he saw the hack job? You just never know now days, in your case based on your explanation of events it sounds like this "surveyor" and dealer had a working relationship so if he wants to continue the working relationship he's going to write down whatever the dealership tells him to. You can't trust anyone now days.

I don't think the legal route is going to be beneficial to you sine you drove it at the lake their going to try and say you hit something. If you found it before ever taking out that would be a different story. I hope it all works out for you I can't believe people have to do business like that.
Old 06-06-2016, 08:49 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Very sorry for your problems, you bought a beautiful boat, try and move on. Best of luck in he future, I hope you have a great summer when it all said and done.

Robert

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.