Notices

Gear oil crisis #6 drive

Old 06-10-2016, 11:49 AM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Ok, got out of work early to work on boat, can't buy gear oil because power is out at Autozone...actually everywhere. So I am thinking it is not meant for me to run this weekend! Well, roll home and post man rolls up with a case of Torco MTF! WTF? I ordered 2 cases but both were supposedly delayed. Anyway, I am a happy camper!
Old 06-10-2016, 11:52 AM
SB
Registered

Received 3,115 Likes on 1,402 Posts

Crazy !
Old 06-10-2016, 12:19 PM
Registered

Received 127 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
Not suggesting, just asking...
Has anyone tried the Lucas Gear Oils in a marine application? I've put them in my trucks on last couple changes.
I just filled some 830 hour Bravos with their gear lube. So far, so good. Also added a pint of the Lucas oil stabilizer in each drive. Drives had been sitting two years and merc lube that came out was dark in color. Nothing on magnets was good thing. Drives were shifting very stiff before the oil change. Have loosened up and shifting much better now. Thinking cables/linkages might need some lube. No hesitation on the shifts though once lever is moved. I've always liked the Lucas products. Had a jeep with very very leaky steering box, used their PS stop leak....It worked! Had an 01 Lifted dodge 1500. Trans started slipping and overheating 200 miles from home pulling a old heavy 25' camper. Let it cool and threw in a quart of their Trans no-slip. Got me home without issues and actually lasted a few more months until it crapped out completely. I do like how the stabilizer promotes oil retention on gears and bearings. That goofy little gear setup on parts store counter sold me how the lube would climb up the stack of gears with the stabilizer. I can't see how that could ever be a bad thing unless you wanted every 1/20th of a HP out of a race motor.
Old 06-10-2016, 12:26 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Originally Posted by Gimme Fuel
I just filled some 830 hour Bravos with their gear lube. So far, so good. Also added a pint of the Lucas oil stabilizer in each drive. Drives had been sitting two years and merc lube that came out was dark in color. Nothing on magnets was good thing. Drives were shifting very stiff before the oil change. Have loosened up and shifting much better now. Thinking cables/linkages might need some lube. No hesitation on the shifts though once lever is moved. I've always liked the Lucas products. Had a jeep with very very leaky steering box, used their PS stop leak....It worked! Had an 01 Lifted dodge 1500. Trans started slipping and overheating 200 miles from home pulling a old heavy 25' camper. Let it cool and threw in a quart of their Trans no-slip. Got me home without issues and actually lasted a few more months until it crapped out completely. I do like how the stabilizer promotes oil retention on gears and bearings. That goofy little gear setup on parts store counter sold me how the lube would climb up the stack of gears with the stabilizer. I can't see how that could ever be a bad thing unless you wanted every 1/20th of a HP out of a race motor.
I am a fan of their products. I run Oil Stabilizer in every one of my oil pump driven 4-stroke vehicles (Cars, trucks, motorcycle, outboard, etc. It's not good for a lawnmower with splash lubrication). And I also have it in the differentials on my 2500HD, as well as their transmission additive in all of my autos when/if they need topped off.
Old 06-10-2016, 12:54 PM
Registered

Received 127 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
I am a fan of their products. I run Oil Stabilizer in every one of my oil pump driven 4-stroke vehicles (Cars, trucks, motorcycle, outboard, etc. It's not good for a lawnmower with splash lubrication). And I also have it in the differentials on my 2500HD, as well as their transmission additive in all of my autos when/if they need topped off.
Good point about splash lubrication. Yea I've never put it into any engine without a pump driven oil system like you said.
Old 06-12-2016, 05:49 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

We've used Amsoil in our drives , saw a difference in wear on gears during rebuilds. Found this to be beneficial for racing. Contact Bob Teague he is very well versed on this.

Jrider your pretty close to me I think I have a bunch of Torco at the shop

Last edited by byrideroffshore; 06-12-2016 at 05:52 AM.
Old 06-12-2016, 06:04 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Amsoil marine oil mixed 4-1 with Lucas oil stabilizer in a 47 wellcraft excalibur with Built Bravo III XR's and 800 supercharged horsepower makes all the difference between drives lasting 25 hours or lasting 150+ hours.

Last edited by zemaestro; 06-12-2016 at 09:45 AM.
Old 06-12-2016, 09:09 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

That's great..