Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Why do Coast Guard helicopters buzz my boat? >

Why do Coast Guard helicopters buzz my boat?

Notices

Why do Coast Guard helicopters buzz my boat?

Old 06-18-2016, 09:52 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

years ago A Coast Guard cutter was near me next thing I have 6 guys next to my race boat in a rigid inflatable with m-16 and they want to board the boat . I said your joking right ? I said the only reason your here is be because my girl is in a thong on engine hatch . they agreed and we just bull****ted for 20 min
Old 06-19-2016, 05:40 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would guess the CG helo was just wanting to check out your sweet ride...add some bikini clad women in there and you for sure will get attention. I've been stopped many times by them when I had my 22, they would ask a few questions about the gear we had onboard and then bull**** about the boat...happened almost every time. The price to pay for having a nice boat...cheers.
Old 06-19-2016, 07:42 AM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by KEVLARKAT32
years ago A Coast Guard cutter was near me next thing I have 6 guys next to my race boat in a rigid inflatable with m-16 and they want to board the boat . I said your joking right ? I said the only reason your here is be because my girl is in a thong on engine hatch . they agreed and we just bull****ted for 20 min
Cool story.

Originally Posted by MullenTJ86
I would guess the CG helo was just wanting to check out your sweet ride...add some bikini clad women in there and you for sure will get attention. I've been stopped many times by them when I had my 22, they would ask a few questions about the gear we had onboard and then bull**** about the boat...happened almost every time. The price to pay for having a nice boat...cheers.
They've always been very good to me. Only actually came on board once, a female officer! The other boats out there though, wow, the 57(?) OL, Kemosabe Apache, mega-yachts, etc. Make my boat look like a dingy!
Old 06-19-2016, 09:44 AM
Registered

Received 578 Likes on 239 Posts

25 years ago I am out windsurfing on a beautiful spring day in the Gulf. Wind is blowing from the south about a steady 25 and I am hauling the mail.

Doesn't take long to end up 10 miles offshore when you are doing 30 knots.

I start hearing this Roar coming up from somewhere. Windsurfing you can't really see what's behind you with out craning your neck.

Suddenly the Roar intensifies just as five B-52 bombers come into view over my shoulder about 300 feet off the deck.

Cool as Hell. But really Erie for about 2 seconds when you don't know what you are about to get hit by.

Guess they saw this little speck in the Gulf and had a bet what it was.

When I worked up on the Outer Banks building Sportfishing boats the Navy base up there would break the sound barrier constantly near the boat shed. That would Scare the Hell out of you when you were down in a boat.

Sounded like a Bomb.

Paul the guy I worked for ran Sportfishing charters out of Oregon Outlet before boat building.

Said the whole fleet was out there in a tournament and a F-16 came in just off the deck and broke the sound barrier.

Blew out several windows in some of the boats.i am sure that pilot was washing dishes the next day.
Old 06-19-2016, 04:39 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by thirdchildhood
Twice they have come down right over the top of my boat from behind, very low. Are they looking to see what's in my boat? Surely if someone had contraband they would put it under the bow. I really don't mind but I wonder why they do it. Maybe just because they can. Once was last week and I hear fwap, fwap, fawp, fawp, fawp and I'm like crap what did I break now and over comes the chopper. Kind of cool actually but WTF? Both times have been on the channels around Harsen's Island on Lake St. Clair. Security really seems to be ramped up on this area of international waters this year.
Because you are having more fun than they are,
Old 06-19-2016, 06:40 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Speedracer29
LMAO, we were heading north from the DYC side, I came on plane and one of the guys aboard tapped my shoulder and said "whoa, he ain't gonna make it!" I turned my head in time to see your whole transom and chuckled. Said "if that's who I think it is, it ain't his first rodeo.
I ran down to Erie today with the family, lots of boats out.
Old 06-19-2016, 07:32 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Pwraddr
I ran down to Erie today with the family, lots of boats out.
I wanted to run out to the Clamdigger or Harsen's, but after Friday on LSC and yesterday on Holloway Resevoir, I was whipped. Ended up doing the family brunch thing and cleaned the whole boat.

Still was a great weekend. Photo from shortly after our USCG fly-by.
Old 06-20-2016, 06:50 AM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by Speedracer29
I wanted to run out to the Clamdigger or Harsen's, but after Friday on LSC and yesterday on Holloway Resevoir, I was whipped. Ended up doing the family brunch thing and cleaned the whole boat.

Still was a great weekend. Photo from shortly after our USCG fly-by.
I was out Friday and ran from north St. Clair to Lake Erie. Weekends for my 22' boat are only for partying at Muscamoot Bay. It's crazy out there. Getting ready to head back out today. Temps in the 90s.
Old 06-20-2016, 07:30 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 122 Likes on 77 Posts

I drive my boat right into downtown Washington DC and rarely ever get hassled. Pulled over by the DC Police once or twice but that's it. There is every LE / Military agency imaginable represented up there.
Old 06-20-2016, 09:09 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd be willing to bet that the guys that said they wanted to check out the boat are on to something.

I have a good friend who is a USCG Reserve guy...and his day job is at Mercury Racing.....you can bet that if he sees a killer yellow Donzi, he's gonna want to take a closer look. lol.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.