Notices

Any electronics experts?

Old 06-20-2016, 07:23 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Any electronics experts?

My boat has a vessel view 7 and a garmin 7612 and it looks like the vesel view 7 has stopped communicating with the GPS. Yesterday on the Garmin I lost my rpm dispay and all fuel level and flow data. Any one else had this happen to them or have any ideas on where to start to look to fix. I have done the obvious turn it on and off and disconnect battery power , which is about my level of expertise when it comes to anything electronic.

Thanks,
Mark
Old 06-20-2016, 07:54 PM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Do you have a backbone installed for the N2k or is the vessel view connected directly to the Garmin?
With the ignition keys on go the Garmin home page. Go to settings, Communications, nmea2000, device list,
You should the mercury vessel view 7 listed.
If you do not see it there is a problem with the backbone or output of the vv7.
Old 06-20-2016, 07:55 PM
Registered

Also Mark,
What version software is the Garmin 7612?
Old 06-20-2016, 08:54 PM
Registered

Thanks for the advice on where to start checking. Pretty sure it has a backbone as the cables all go up to a bunch of black t fittings which I assume must be what is refered to as a backbone, will look into it tomorrow and also check the software version, should be pretty current as the unit is only a year old. Will let you know what I find.
Old 06-20-2016, 09:19 PM
Registered

Garmin has had issues with their software. If it is a year old you need to update it. They are up to version 8.0.
I would recommend doing it.
Sounds like you have a backbone for sure. You need to make sure it has power 12vdc on the yellow power wire feeding the tee. If not it will not work.
Old 06-21-2016, 06:54 AM
Registered

Thanks Double Rigged, I did notice a yellow wire going to the T and also just checked on how to do the updates. I will start on this tonight .
Old 06-21-2016, 07:09 PM
Registered

So tonight I turned everything on and it all works. I can see this being an intermittent thing that is going to drive me crazy all summer. Soft ware is out of date though and I am downloading update now and will install.
Old 06-21-2016, 08:39 PM
Registered

Mark,
Probably a problem with the backbone that is intermittent. If it continues after the software update try replacing some of the Garmin tee's. They are crap. We use Maretron ones that are heavy duty and waterproof. Also make sure the fuse holder on the yellow cable or connections are solid.
Other than that not much else it can be.
Good Luck
Ron
Old 06-21-2016, 09:22 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Do not use an Sd card larger than 8gb or you will beat your head against a wall trying to figure out why it will not update.
Old 06-21-2016, 09:25 PM
Registered

Thanks Ron, we will be out all weekend in the boat so should be a good test. Software update went smooth with no problems. Thanks again for the information and advice.
Take care,
Mark

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.