Why go through a dealer instead of direct from the manufacturer >

Why go through a dealer instead of direct from the manufacturer

Notices

Why go through a dealer instead of direct from the manufacturer

Old 07-01-2016, 08:41 AM
Registered

Received 256 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by ToMorrow44
All I'm saying is that's not how all boat manufacturers work. Not arguing that most boats are bought by checking the options list, that's true. But go look at some of the build threads for Lavey Craft or Active Thunder or that monsterous Skater build thread and look at all the custom details that are put in those that aren't on the options list. I'm just saying that's what I define as a custom boat and that I wouldn't want to work through a broker to build something like that.

Sorry to completely derail the OP question lol. Carry on!
A.T and Lavey are both direct and Tyson's Skater he has a relationship to do that with Skater as he builds parts for them (so none of your references hold weight to the point).

Again, I am not seeing an issue with having a broker for the mass of the builds coming out these days.
Old 07-01-2016, 08:54 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm not a fan of this personally, not selling direct. But I'm from the west coast and there are no dealers really, you just walk straight into the manufacturer and order what you want. I feel like its much less of a custom boat if I have to talk to a middle man, I just want to talk to who's building it. Just my .02
I'll quote myself for reference. Never said there was anything wrong with dealers. Just saying that MY preference would be to work with the builder directly. Just illustrating a difference between east and west coast builders, that's all. Really simple dude, no need to get all excited...
Old 07-01-2016, 09:19 AM
Registered

I'll quote myself for reference. Never said there was anything wrong with dealers. Just saying that MY preference would be to work with the builder directly. Just illustrating a difference between east and west coast builders, that's all. Really simple dude, no need to get all excited...
I am a fan of it but now you at least have your answer on why you go through a dealer.
Old 07-05-2016, 11:18 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Just an update with www.laveycraft.com since the name came uo in this thread. A longtime westcoast boat builder from day one who 80 % of sales where basically in 2 states CA and AZ. Most eastcoast persons really never seen a Laveycraft in person nor even stepped foot in one.

For 2017 Laveycraft and myself will be marketing the brand up and down the east coast. A new 29 single engine build will be heading that way for a demo / show / poker run boat to bring name brand east of the USA for many to see up close in person. At least you can say that Lavey and myself are trying a new game plan to boast some sales in different territories.

If you never seen the Lavey Craft full line up, check out their website. again www.laveycraft.com

Last edited by BUP; 07-05-2016 at 11:21 PM.
Old 07-06-2016, 06:23 AM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 2 Posts

For me there is only one question, is the customer OK with paying the dealer compensation? I have heard of 20% as an example, so on a custom ordered $200,000 boat that you already knew you wanted and did not need a salesman to talk you into it, is it alright to pay the dealer $40,000 in commish.
Old 07-06-2016, 07:11 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by TUFFboat
For me there is only one question, is the customer OK with paying the dealer compensation? I have heard of 20% as an example, so on a custom ordered $200,000 boat that you already knew you wanted and did not need a salesman to talk you into it, is it alright to pay the dealer $40,000 in commish.
If that company does not offer direct sales orders and must be ordered through a dealer then your answer is yes if that is the boat you wanted.

How else would said person get same said dream boat?

Let me guess.....change their dream boat to a brand that doesnt do that and is a second choice boat now?
Old 07-06-2016, 07:25 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1,119 Likes on 469 Posts

I like to buy from a dealer.

I've only bought 4 brand new boats (everything else I've bought secondhand or demo) and enjoyed the service/warranty back up at the marina where I stored my boat. There were staff there 7 days per week, always happy to see me and talk about boats. Of course they were hoping I'd buy from them again or send them more customers. That's business and no problem for me.

One time was a new Aussie built Bertram and I lived 20 minutes from the factory. They said I can deal with them all the way, make a time to visit if I wanted to see the build. They didn't customize much at all in those days so it was pretty straight forward. I can buy direct but they will charge me full rec retail price and direct the sale and full margin to my nearest dealer by postcode. If I want the dealer to discount his margin then that's between me and the dealer, not the factory.

Needless to say, I dealt with the dealer and pushed as hard as I could on price to get a good deal. I was still welcomed at the factory a couple of times to see the build progress. I don't begrudge a dealer making a fair profit out of me IF he continues to look after and service my future needs.

The other two brand new boats I have purchased were built interstate or overseas so having a dealer nearby made the sale possible. Without a dealer, I probably would not have travelled the distance to buy the boat, I would have looked harder for something on my doorstep.

To my way of thinking, having a small dealer network increases the ease of purchase and there is a premium for the purchaser to pay for this convenience but an astute buyer will negotiate that premium down to a value he can justify. The other plus for the factory is they don't have to negotiate with anyone, they can fix their own margin at a sensible point and let their dealers do all the work. Getting harder and harder now, but some dealers may even carry stock boat(s) to further increase market visibility.

My 2 cents.....

RR

Last edited by rak rua; 07-06-2016 at 08:16 PM.
Old 07-06-2016, 10:38 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought my brand new Formula 350SS through a dealer back in 2012 (Hampton Watercraft out on Long Island). Unless you plan to keep your boat at or very close by to the dealer you purchase from, I see absolutely no value in buying through a dealer if you have the option to go direct. At least in my case, the dealer was (and still is) completely useless. I had major issues within ten hours of operating the boat and the dealer was nowhere to be found. Calls and emails would just go unreturned. Thank god the Formula Factory has some of the greatest customer service folks in the business (and my marina is certified to do Formula warranty work) or I would have been screwed.

Guess when the dealer finally reached out to me? When I completed my dealer survey and returned it to Formula. Yeah, that got his attention.
Old 07-06-2016, 10:58 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by BUP
Just an update with www.laveycraft.com since the name came uo in this thread. A longtime westcoast boat builder from day one who 80 % of sales where basically in 2 states CA and AZ. Most eastcoast persons really never seen a Laveycraft in person nor even stepped foot in one.

For 2017 Laveycraft and myself will be marketing the brand up and down the east coast. A new 29 single engine build will be heading that way for a demo / show / poker run boat to bring name brand east of the USA for many to see up close in person. At least you can say that Lavey and myself are trying a new game plan to boast some sales in different territories.

If you never seen the Lavey Craft full line up, check out their website. again www.laveycraft.com

BUP,

I'm really looking forward to you guys' build of that 29 and the poker run tour you're going to take it on. Lavey has always been an awesome brand and its unfortunate how hard they were hit by the recession. They build some of the most solid family sportboats out there and their gelcoat work is second to none. I look forward to seeing it at Lanier 2017!
Old 07-06-2016, 11:57 AM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

if a retail customer has a trade in or needs financing can the boat manufacturer do this ??? if so how many boat manufacturers can NOT do this. . Also most dealers are not pulling down 20 % for boats under 200 K. My last sale of new boats netted 10 % only and IMO it was worth every penny to the boat owner - WHY - I offer my personal phone number when any questions needs to be asked and or problems MECHANICAL side is huge here basically 24 / 7... - next I got them financed - next is Location, next 20 hour service after breakin very important to get the new boat owner back in for that. Not for the money end but for the reliability and longevity end plus spot any problems beforehand. Next a dealer can offer turn key boating year after year after the sale. A relationship with this type of service is worth something.

THANKS - T 44 and yes Lanier is on the list. AND the LOTO shootout - and the speed of this bad boy.

Last edited by BUP; 07-06-2016 at 12:02 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.