Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Skater 28 - Norway callin' (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/33878-skater-28-norway-callin.html)

Toffen 09-28-2002 01:03 PM

Skater 28 - Norway callin'

Hi!

The Skater 28 project is taking time, but I will travel down to Dubai to get it to Norway. If it proves to be a problem, I will buy a second hand Skater 28 (no engines) from US. Two Promax 300X will be used (then I can alternate one engine to my ol' Phantom 25 as well when the Skater is not in use).

I have got setup tips from Peter H, Sean & co, but have some few more questions I hope you can help me with:

@ Iam a V bottom guy, so I will use my time to know the boat. How many hrs should I run before wot?
@ When ready for WOT, should it be against the wind - or with the wind?
@ Is the Skater 28 very loose at the bow at WOT (neutral trim-300X's-no setback)?
@ Should I mount a bowtank / trimtank to be used in high seas? I have this in my Phantom 25 and its a must.

Do you know about a Skater 28 for sale without engines?

Cheers and thanks - Toffen, Norway

skaterize 09-28-2002 10:22 PM

will be the best boat you ever own unless you get a bigger skater. DONT BE AFRAID OF THE BOAT BUT RESPECT IT. try running into the wind as much as possible it helps with understanding the compression of air. dont use trim alot at higher speeds until your comfortable. the boat will fly straight if the trim is right. i dont have alotof knowledge with ballast but try to keep your gas tanks filled evenly and possibly put in a pump to switch from one side to another. the boat is wonderfull so enjoy it and youll love cruising in the 80's while those V's are trying to find more speed. Craig

John B 09-28-2002 11:07 PM

Get 5 hrs on the motors if new, before WOT. Don't run any positive trim, try one down and run with the wind at first. Avoid side wind at high speed. Avoid high speed (+90) in waves over 1 ft. Positive trim and or head wind over 10 mph can cause the bow hang high and the boat will walk from side to side as the sponsons leak air like a hydroplane. This can happen over 105 mph. Outside of this, it will ride like a butterfly on railroad tracks.
I put 70 hrs on mine (300's) before I figured a 36 Skater might preserve my life. BE SAFE

Regards JB

Steve 1 09-29-2002 01:32 AM

They have real 28 Skaters in Dubai Or copys ?:confused:

timucin 09-29-2002 02:28 PM

I know some skaters & copies for sale in Turkey

real douglas marine 28 skater 1994 (blank boat )40.000usd

real douglas marine 28 skater 199? (blank race boat) 35.000usd
closed canopy.was using twin outboads

copy 28 cat (1:1 similar) new:25000usd-- used :15000usd

copy 24 cat (1:1 similar) new:18.000usd --used :10000usd

Note:I have no relation with sellers/ builders .I can send you the phone numbers if you are interested.just to help a friend from oso.I take no responsibility no nothing...

Toffen 09-29-2002 02:58 PM

Skater 28

Hi!

Thanks for advises!

I am interested in the original Skater 1994 model for USD 40K. Would be grateful for contact / email so I can get some more info.

Thanks again!

Cheers, Toffen G

timucin 09-29-2002 03:03 PM

will find him tomorrow and pm you his numbers+email adresses

Toffen 09-29-2002 03:25 PM

Skater 28

Hi!

Thanks!

Cheers, Toffen G

PS! My email is [email protected]