My new Avalon Pontoon! powered by twin Mercury Racing 400R's >

My new Avalon Pontoon! powered by twin Mercury Racing 400R's

Notices

My new Avalon Pontoon! powered by twin Mercury Racing 400R's

Old 07-04-2016, 09:29 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by altamate
Are they rated for 800hp? Are they insurable with it? As someone pointed out if it's held together with screws rather then lock nuts do you still want to be doing 75 mph on one that is a few years old and rattling apart?
The performance CC makers have addressed the issues about going 75-80 in one of them, but have any of the toon makers done so?
I know that a good portion of the tri and pontoon makers have some pretty robust designs and manufacturing capabilities. However, living very close to the RV capital of the world were a number of these pontoons are made - there are a LOT of shoddy put it together with a hope an prayer type manufacturing operations- Not inexpensive - CHEAP. I have seen these "aircraft carriers" out on our lake with enormous horsepower go pretty well. And yes I'm very concerned that the surface area exposed to air at speed will flip them over. Just this past weekend I have seen a number of pontoons that were extremely overloaded with people/stuffs- so much in fact that a "little wake wave" crashed over the deck- we're not talking about an 18' toon were are talking about 25+ foot boats. I personally think these are accidents waiting to happen. Another pet peeve of mine is these aircraft carriers pulling tubers or skiers - grandpa doesn't realize the amount of real estate that these boats take and to have two tubes out the back trying to make all these crazy turns etc., is crazy. Yes, I know performance boats take up a lot of real estate also. But the turning capability of a performance boat and that of a toon in my opinion is the difference between night and day.

3pointstar
Old 07-04-2016, 12:00 PM
Registered

Received 885 Likes on 480 Posts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFt1XIoysx4
Old 07-04-2016, 12:01 PM
Registered

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adGhE579AQ8
Old 07-04-2016, 07:06 PM
WMF
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 35 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Jupiter Sunsation
Not sure why you felt to post pics of some random pontoon flipping over? or what you are getting at?
The following users liked this post:
PartyBarge22 (08-24-2020)
Old 07-04-2016, 07:20 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Originally Posted by WMF
Not sure why you felt to post pics of some random pontoon flipping over? or what you are getting at?
I agree & would like to know as well. Jupiter Sunsation, what's the point of your two videos?

Last edited by Sydwayz; 07-05-2016 at 08:12 AM.
Old 07-04-2016, 07:21 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 246 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by Wasted Income
I might actually watch that. Kinda reminds me of the school bus demo derby I go to every year.

That looks awesome, I wish that was here in NJ
Old 07-04-2016, 10:08 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
I agre & would like to know as well. Jupiter Sunsation, what's the point of your two videos?
Originally Posted by WMF

Wouldn't this be the next progression in high performance pontoons? Packing air and big HP pushes the threshold of trouble that much closer to the buyers.
Old 07-05-2016, 08:12 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Originally Posted by Jupiter Sunsation
Wouldn't this be the next progression in high performance pontoons? Packing air and big HP pushes the threshold of trouble that much closer to the buyers.
The video of the pontoon on the dock/pilings actually shows it's built pretty well. It got there due to storm surge that floated it there, not an accident. When they pulled it off, it bounced (wow), held together perfectly, and floated right off.

The video of the double-decker also shows it's built pretty damn well; given all the forces involved in pulling the boat in opposite directions to flip it back over. I expected it to be in 3-10 pieces by the time they were done. I'm not saying it was designed well, but then again we have no idea why it flipped over. It may have had 27 people on the top deck, trying to turn into a restaurant dock at 30mph. When they went to flip it back over, it probably had another 2000 lbs of saturated water weight and it still floated.
The following users liked this post:
PartyBarge22 (08-24-2020)
Old 07-05-2016, 09:54 AM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by WMF
It has been 72.9 on GPS, so far in around 12-14 seconds. We are going to install the correct 4 blade 19p props when they are available next week. Right now we are running 3 blade 19p. Hope to pick up 2-3 more mph.
Have u tryed 21p rev 4's ??
Old 07-05-2016, 10:02 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice to see other fast pontoons, been following it on FB.

How heavy is the boat? Seems one nice thing about these toons is they are light in size compared to glass boats.

It kind of fun blowing past the Baja guys in a toon

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.