Notices

"If I ran OSO..."

Old 07-04-2016, 09:51 AM
OSO Content Provider
Commercial Member

Received 49 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by VtSteve
One of the worst things that happened to online sites in general is the great recession.
I would say perhaps Facebook is the worst thing to happen to online forums... I find myself spending more time there than many online forums in the past year or so.
I would pop back into the forums if i had something to contribute that may generate discussion, but even then finding the lack of discussion does not encourage me to waste my time posting content. It seems of late, unless it's controversial , many people do not bother to create meaningful discussions ... Just my opinion...

Digital Photography & Video one BYTE at a time !
Old 07-05-2016, 01:42 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

I would like to see OSO show more of a presence at major boating events. OSO also used help put on parties and sponsor events.
I attend quite a few events at LOTO and I know Cash Bar attends a lot of events all over the south.
I think Sydwayz also travels some for boating events..
It would be nice to be able to promote more interest in OSO by handing out some swag like coozies, stickers, hats and t shirts at these events.
Maybe some type of advertising budget that mods and others could apply for stuff???

LOTO Shootout 2006. Steve would throw out a few items to people whom he recognized from the site of already displaying OSO gear.
Attached Thumbnails "If I ran OSO..."-oso1.jpg   "If I ran OSO..."-oso2.jpg   "If I ran OSO..."-oso3.jpg  

Last edited by Griff; 07-05-2016 at 01:46 AM.
Old 07-05-2016, 08:16 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Cash Bar
Post this in the General Discussion forum. The membership will respond.
Done!
Old 07-05-2016, 08:19 PM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 65 Posts

Haha. To funny

Btw... Who owns the OSO TS topgun now?

Last edited by endeavor1; 07-05-2016 at 08:26 PM.
Old 07-05-2016, 09:27 PM
Mod Squad Enforcer
Charter Member

Received 795 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by endeavor1
Haha. To funny

Btw... Who owns the OSO TS topgun now?
The one in the pic is owned by a guy that lives in Deadwood, SD. He takes it to a few events a year including Havasu and LOTO. It's copper/blue now.
Old 07-06-2016, 07:58 AM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by SHARKEY-IMAGES
I would say perhaps Facebook is the worst thing to happen to online forums... I find myself spending more time there than many online forums in the past year or so.
I would pop back into the forums if i had something to contribute that may generate discussion, but even then finding the lack of discussion does not encourage me to waste my time posting content. It seems of late, unless it's controversial , many people do not bother to create meaningful discussions ... Just my opinion...
100% agree. Facebook discussions can get controversial as well, but they seem to stay more civil because people aren't hiding behind a screen name. That is one thing I have seen more of here. Members that were booted just make up a new screen name and come back on to "stir the pot".
Old 07-06-2016, 08:17 AM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I would answer the members questions and not just send back auto answers that do not answer the question.
Old 07-06-2016, 10:29 AM
Registered

Received 80 Likes on 56 Posts

Increase limit on private messages (or remove the limit)
Make forum available through Tapatalk app
An audio forum that I participate in requires real, full names instead of a nickname. It gets more professional and less BS responses than here at OSO. Different clientele, I know, but some people just don't have manners (and hide behind a screen name).

Other than that, it's good - I look at OSO every day and appreciate the technical and performance discussions that several members contribute (to help others).
Old 07-06-2016, 10:49 AM
GRH
Registered

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Allow ANYONE to post pictures... this site originally allowed this & was far more active because of it....members posted pics of there weekend outings & it allowed other members to see what they might be missing in other areas of the country....eliminate paid membership completely... remove restrictions to access certain areas on the site.... point is if this is supposed to be a "public forum" as it was 15 years ago then allow everyone the same opportunity to view, post(pictures) and discuss all things boating....

now... back to reality
Old 07-06-2016, 11:15 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 333 Likes on 124 Posts

The fact that someone from IB posted asking is a big deal. Other forums that IB has taken over have dried up, and not solely due to them, but due to modern social media.

This forum is more active than MANY that I used to frequent. Its the last forum that I check.

The ONLY thing that will keep forums alive are
1- people documenting their projects
2 - tech discussions and articles

Forums can't compete with FB and IG on general social posting. It isn't convenient.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.