Notices

2016 Boyne Thunder

Old 07-12-2016, 08:47 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
I know all about lake michigan. Ive been on it boating for over 15 years. Ive been out in that water in everything from a 23ft single stuffing the bow so hard , bilge pumps ran for 15 minutes , blew the microwave out of the cabinet, cracking ac freon lines, cabin doors falling off and what not in my 40 formula. Took waves over the deck exiting diversey harbor in my 40 excalibur heading out for the day. Lost factory sunpad cushions that were glued and lag bolted down, hitting so hard coming back from sbi races after a storm. Its all part of boating on the great lakes.

All of my boats were pleasure budget boats, that couldnt hold a candle to most of that hardware in that run. My point regarding the wave heights, was that I know from experience, 3-4's are rough! 4-6's even more so. But when i see guys claiming the lake was 10's , I call bs. I also call bs when i hear guys say how they run 80mph in 4 footers like nothin in their 32 .

Did they play "Steel Magnolias " for a warm up video before leaving the docks? I think i heard someones JL audio speakers cranking "wind beneath my wings " by bette midler in that video of them idling out the channel
I went from South Haven to St Joe in 8-10's. Weather radio said 6'ers and the cruiser in the slip next to us had called in to work the next day saying they weren't going to be there, but I went out in my 32 Fountain figuring we'd gone from St Joe to Chicago in 4-5' rollers (spread out nicely). I was thinking they were just larger at the mouth of the port. Nope. I was running with them and didn't want to turn around and head into them. I was running at an RPM that I would run the boat at 50 mph just to get up and down the waves. And my wife and I were soaked on ever single wave. She kissed the ground when we got back. I saw two other boats out period. One a sailboat coming in as we headed out and the large Coast Guard boat. Later that week, I found out someone was watching us from 60' up on the bluff. They said the boat would disappear in the wave troughs even from their angle. I actually turned the boat into the beat 3 times on the way back because of the props cavitating not wanting to grab. If Lake MI is 4-6, there will be an occasional 8'er in there. If it's 8-10, well, you'll have that occasional 12'er tossed in. That was the day I learned to respect the lake the most. The second time was when it went dead calm and us tubing to 3-4'ers in literally 5 minutes. I was joking while running the tube that I looked out in the lake and saw white caps what looked to be a mile out or so. I went to stop the boat to bring the tube in, and by the time we got the rider off, we were taking waves over the open bow of the 18' Powerplay. You gotta respect the power the Lake can generate.

You can't blame anyone for not going on the run. However, I can't blame anyone for going, either. It's a lot of fun if you can get into the right set of water and waves and get the boat set to run in it. As long as you don't break down. A long idle in that water, and nobody will have any food they have eaten in the last week left in their bodies.
Old 07-12-2016, 08:58 PM
Charter Member#203
Charter Member

Received 14,934 Likes on 3,853 Posts

Old 07-12-2016, 09:00 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 204 Likes on 132 Posts

Any pics of the 36 Apache with the Indian feathers on bow?
Old 07-12-2016, 09:07 PM
Registered

Received 736 Likes on 331 Posts

Lake Huron which can hurt you as badly as Lake Michigan scared me to the point where I was praying. It was the biggest water I've ever seen and never want to be in again. The waves crashed over the north wall of the sanilac marina for 48 hours, there were white caps inside the marina! Like idiots we decided it was time to leave and that lake and our bad choice almost killed us. It happens real fast.
Old 07-12-2016, 09:13 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Even though boats didn't run, still bummed it's the first Boyne I missed in 5 years. I'm lovin' all the awesome photos Nice work, as always, Pete. And some sweet Go Pro videos.
Old 07-12-2016, 09:58 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Sorry if I offended anyone with my posts. Sounds like some guys are taking them seriously.

My apologies to the boyne participants. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0iAzMRKFX3c
Old 07-13-2016, 05:50 AM
Registered

Received 234 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by TBAG
These two photos need to be edited together for a desktop background, the best of old vs. new v-bottom offshore wave crushers. Love it!
I believe the pic of the Outerlimits is of them jumping a cruiser wake inon Lake Charlevoix. Pete could confirm.
Old 07-13-2016, 06:44 AM
Registered

Received 755 Likes on 407 Posts

Originally Posted by Indy
Miss mine too. Not at all surprised to see a PP in that stuff. Made strong, classic design, top notch hull.
Danny made one he!! of a boat that's for sure.
Old 07-13-2016, 07:28 AM
Charter Member#203
Charter Member

Received 14,934 Likes on 3,853 Posts

Old 07-13-2016, 08:27 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by ajfisher
No beating... properly trimmed the boat flies level as hell and lands pretty soft. We hit some holes but when don't you? Enjoy the boat for what it was meant for.
Thats like not banging your girlfriend so she's tight for the next guy...
Nah.. I was just messing with ya... I agree completely enjoy it for what it was built for and for the reason you buy it... Trust me if your ride was cost feasible for me it would be sitting in SC this weekend... Super nice boat

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.