Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
American Ethanol Takes GLOC Top Gun Title, Tagge Edges Mungle For Second Place >

American Ethanol Takes GLOC Top Gun Title, Tagge Edges Mungle For Second Place

Notices

American Ethanol Takes GLOC Top Gun Title, Tagge Edges Mungle For Second Place

Old 07-10-2016, 05:08 PM
Correspondent
Correspondent

Received 2,747 Likes on 1,234 Posts
Default American Ethanol Takes GLOC Top Gun Title, Tagge Edges Mungle For Second Place

Awesome performances and even a little suspense during the second and final day of the GLOC Performance Boat Challenge, http://speedonthewater.com/150-racin...second-place-2.
Old 07-10-2016, 07:17 PM
Registered

Received 151 Likes on 65 Posts

Carson Brummett is the man!

Congrats Garth and Jim
Old 07-10-2016, 11:01 PM
Bling Bling
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just zoomed in and texted a pic of the "engine guru Carson Brummett" wording incase he didn't see it.
Old 07-11-2016, 05:13 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 393 Likes on 141 Posts

Congrats to American Ethanol, another amazing Mystic C5000!
Old 07-11-2016, 02:55 PM
Registered

Received 217 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by precisiondetails
Carson Brummett is the man!

Congrats Garth and Jim
Back in the marathon racing days of 9 and 6 hour races non-stop, the name Lou Brummett was the guy you knew was always capable of winnng.

Congrats to all involved.
Old 07-11-2016, 05:44 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Matt, thanks for the article - well written as always. A couple of comments:

1. I throttle the boat and Jim is on the wheel. You had it the other way around

2. I wanted to provide a few more comments about the engines and the contributions from the builder(s). As mentioned, the long blocks are still the originals built by Brad Smith and Smith Power from 2013. They have about 75 "very hard" hours on them and are still going strong. Jim and I can't say enough good things about Brad Smith. Talented, passionate, energetic - he was special. The industry lost one of it's future stars when he left us and Jim and I are still dealing with the professional and personal loss.

We also can't say enough about what Carson Brummett did with the motors this year. We were very lucky to have Carson take on our project. It started out as a simple tune of one motor from fuel to E-85. Once done and after it was shipped back to us, we had planned to download the tune from that ECM to the engine we left in the boat. However, during this initial tune process Carson found some other issues, which required removing the heads and subsequent head and valve train repairs and modifications. At that point, we realized we better send the other engine. Similar issues existed on engine number 2.

What started out as a minimal time consuming project blossomed into something X 10. But Carson didn't let us down. I can't tell you the countless hours he spent getting things in order and fine tuning the two engines after the needed repairs and the dozens of blower removals, dyno pulls, custom deflector plates, etc. it took to dial these motors in. Fortunately for us, this project held some interest to him because of the nature of engines. Carson's reputation doesn't come from working on the kind of "mouse motors" we sent him. From what I can see, most of his projects typically involve high horsepower engines with big PSI, Quad rotor, or twin turbo power plants - not little 5 liter Whipple's like ours. But always up for a challenge and learning new things, he massaged those engines until we wound up with about as much HP as can be squeezed from the package. Jim and I can't say enough about him and his commitment and we agree completely with Precision Details from Post #2 - Carson is the Man!!

3. Final comment. On our first run at the GLOC challenge, our MSD box failed. We never completed that run. When we got back to the dock, Kenny Mungle had a spare MSD in his truck and offered to loan it to us. We installed it and were lucky enough to make the runs we made.

We all want to win or we wouldn't spend the time, money, and emotional investment it takes to be involved in these competitions. But the sportsmanship from competitors - like Kenny - is what is the most satisfying at the end of the day. I don't know him well but I have watched over the years how he interfaces with the spectators and competitors alike and I've noticed that he never considers someone's Financial Statement first before he decides the degree to which he'll interact with them. He's a great Ambassador for the sport. I'm sorry he didn't get to finish the run and I hope he gets Gone Again up and running quickly. Kenny, count Jim and me as 2 of your fans along with countless others!!

Garth
Old 07-11-2016, 06:07 PM
Correspondent
Correspondent

Received 2,747 Likes on 1,234 Posts

Originally Posted by CoolSpot
Matt, thanks for the article - well written as always. A couple of comments:

1. I throttle the boat and Jim is on the wheel. You had it the other way around

2. I wanted to provide a few more comments about the engines and the contributions from the builder(s). As mentioned, the long blocks are still the originals built by Brad Smith and Smith Power from 2013. They have about 75 "very hard" hours on them and are still going strong. Jim and I can't say enough good things about Brad Smith. Talented, passionate, energetic - he was special. The industry lost one of it's future stars when he left us and Jim and I are still dealing with the professional and personal loss.

We also can't say enough about what Carson Brummett did with the motors this year. We were very lucky to have Carson take on our project. It started out as a simple tune of one motor from fuel to E-85. Once done and after it was shipped back to us, we had planned to download the tune from that ECM to the engine we left in the boat. However, during this initial tune process Carson found some other issues, which required removing the heads and subsequent head and valve train repairs and modifications. At that point, we realized we better send the other engine. Similar issues existed on engine number 2.

What started out as a minimal time consuming project blossomed into something X 10. But Carson didn't let us down. I can't tell you the countless hours he spent getting things in order and fine tuning the two engines after the needed repairs and the dozens of blower removals, dyno pulls, custom deflector plates, etc. it took to dial these motors in. Fortunately for us, this project held some interest to him because of the nature of engines. Carson's reputation doesn't come from working on the kind of "mouse motors" we sent him. From what I can see, most of his projects typically involve high horsepower engines with big PSI, Quad rotor, or twin turbo power plants - not little 5 liter Whipple's like ours. But always up for a challenge and learning new things, he massaged those engines until we wound up with about as much HP as can be squeezed from the package. Jim and I can't say enough about him and his commitment and we agree completely with Precision Details from Post #2 - Carson is the Man!!

3. Final comment. On our first run at the GLOC challenge, our MSD box failed. We never completed that run. When we got back to the dock, Kenny Mungle had a spare MSD in his truck and offered to loan it to us. We installed it and were lucky enough to make the runs we made.

We all want to win or we wouldn't spend the time, money, and emotional investment it takes to be involved in these competitions. But the sportsmanship from competitors - like Kenny - is what is the most satisfying at the end of the day. I don't know him well but I have watched over the years how he interfaces with the spectators and competitors alike and I've noticed that he never considers someone's Financial Statement first before he decides the degree to which he'll interact with them. He's a great Ambassador for the sport. I'm sorry he didn't get to finish the run and I hope he gets Gone Again up and running quickly. Kenny, count Jim and me as 2 of your fans along with countless others!!

Garth
Corrected in both stories—so sorry for the cockpit position flip-flop.

Great added detail.

Thank you so much for taking the time to speak with me yesterday.