Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Deadrise v rough water and slow speed (sub 30') >

Deadrise v rough water and slow speed (sub 30')

Notices

Deadrise v rough water and slow speed (sub 30')

Old 07-11-2016, 08:52 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1,124 Likes on 474 Posts

Class6, can't knock you for asking the question, I love Panteras but not this time.
P.S. You don't want a 34' Fountain do you?? Lol

BajaDan, I'll never knock anyone for owning a Baja, I think they have a lot going for them. The islanders cockpit layout is a good social design and as you say, the speed is more than adequate, I'm mot quite sold on the bow area, prefer a nice cuddy.

Soldier, I haven't considered Chaparral, I'll check their website today. I'm not looking at twins, heavy to tow around here and I also like the ease of maintenance on a single.

Thanks,
RR
Old 07-11-2016, 09:56 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

RR, on another note seeing as your based Thailand, do you know anything about the fountain 38 for sale in Phuket? 2011 with quad 300 verados. Feel free to PM if you prefer
Old 07-11-2016, 10:07 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Cobalt 262 BR or a 263 cabin and or what they offer up to 30 ft with twins - even a 220 Cobalt runs fairly well in 1 to very small 3 footers. They are not the fastest at all but might surprise alot up here how well they run. Their quality is top notch as well especially for a production builder. I have driven many Cobalts in my day. .

Last edited by BUP; 07-11-2016 at 10:10 PM.
Old 07-11-2016, 10:08 PM
Registered

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts

I went from a 21degree to a 24 degree. If your in the rough, regardless what you want, get the 24 degree!!

I had a 226 Larson, ran great, but any rough, you felt it. 1s, you can skip over, 2s, you slow down and you will feel them. 3s+, get ready for a beating or slow down where bow is in the air and try to softly plow.

Then went to a 25 Outlaw and could not believe the difference! 24 degree is the only way!! In a 33 Outlaw now, but you don't want twins.. Dance floor!
Old 07-11-2016, 10:17 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by Waterboy123
RR, on another note seeing as your based Thailand, do you know anything about the fountain 38 for sale in Phuket? 2011 with quad 300 verados. Feel free to PM if you prefer
I've seen the boat. She sits on the lift 24/7 and looks very nice. We have 'boat boys' here to maintain things and they keep the boat sparkling clean. I'm not sure if she ever gets used.
Fuel is about 4 usd a gallon and that scares some people off with quads. It's a tough sell here in Thailand and to make it harder, that boat is not imported and the vat here is not paid. If you were looking to buy and send out of Thailand, that might be a good thing.

I'm based in Sattahip (600 miles away) but headed to Phuket on the 28th for about a week. I could arrange to check it out for you if you like.

Let me know.

RR
Old 07-11-2016, 10:26 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Sorry I thought you met below 30 ft
Old 07-11-2016, 10:28 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by BUP
Cobalt 262 BR or a 263 cabin and or what they offer up to 30 ft with twins - even a 220 Cobalt runs fairly well in 1 to very small 3 footers. They are not the fastest at all but might surprise alot up here how well they run. Their quality is top notch as well especially for a production builder. I have driven many Cobalts in my day. .
I'm impressed with Cobalt layouts and their bow entry looks pretty fine. Always heard good reports until I saw this little one.

http://media.channelblade.com/eprowe...pare-page3.pdf

Reproduced here.....

http://dare2compare.ca/sea_ray_compa..._boats_p1.html

I know some of it is just ridiculous nit-picking and personal taste but the bit about plywood covered with matting in the ski lockers and thru-bolting vs self tappers got me wondering how good the Cobalts really are?

I still like them but you read one guys bias critique and start to question everything else you've read!

RR
Old 07-11-2016, 10:30 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Honestly I'm not sure if you're looking at brand new or the used market but checkmate convincors are the 24 deadrise you seek... Mine has a useable cuddy but you're not by any means standing up in it and walking around freely in the cockpit....
Old 07-11-2016, 10:31 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by BUP
Sorry I thought you met below 30 ft
Yeah, I do mean below 30'.
That stuff about the 38' Fountain is for BM waterboy. I just happened to see that boat briefly when visiting the marina a couple of years ago. I'm going smaller this time.

Cheers,
RR
Old 07-11-2016, 10:32 PM
Registered

Received 589 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by rak rua
Yeah, I've considered Baja 26. Probably more room than most performance style boats but still not much space to lounge around for more than two people. Pretty basic for fitout, could use a wet bar at least. These 'low deadrise' boats all have great lounging areas at the stern which blend into the boarding platform at water level and the walk thru transom is great.

Looked into World Cat, 230sd looks nice but too small. Go up slightly in size and they're all about fishing. Have thought about buying a bare boat (like stage 2 or similar) and then fitting it out here. I think I still prefer a mono hull if I can find one.

Maybe I'm dreaming about a smooth water boat and wishing it could handle the ocean.

Thanks for input, nothing is out of the question yet......

RR

Mono hulls suck in every form , from sailboats to powerboats to high performance offshore boats.

I love a beautiful classic Hinkley 41 sailboat, or a old Bertram 54 , my fav a wide body 36 Cigarette in the performance world.

But for function.

A Gunboat sailing catamaran, numerous power cats between the size of 20 and 60 feet and in the performance world Skater.

Monos are a dying breed.

The biplane of the marine world.

You know why Divorce attorneys and Catamarans are so expensive? Because their worth it.

Last edited by tommymonza; 07-11-2016 at 10:35 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.