Notices

What's the secret?

Old 07-30-2016, 09:39 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How I did it...I found a rigged hull needing drives and power for 8K. Hull is a 35 Fountain. Seller is also an engine builder so we negotiated for a pair of fresh 502's. Machined 30 over, Merlin heads, Wiseco pistons, Comp cams, Holley 850's, fully balanced rotating assembly, Stainless Marine manifolds, Silent Choice. These are being put through a pair of XR's that have been completely rebuilt. 3 gallons of paint at $700 a gallon, plus thinner and primer, 25 hours of wet sand and polish. Complete set of new Autometer gauges into a new dash panel with Stainless Marine tab/drive indicators. Sure, it's an older boat, flat bottom, non-staggered...I'll be the poker-run style boat watching the poker runners...it sure won't be the fastest boat, nor do I need or want to be.

How much boat can I afford?...well this boat, and I'm into it for just under 40K, on a tri-axle trailer is about as much as I'm prepared to afford. It's built strong, I have no need to run that hard so it shouldn't break the bank in repairs after each weekend. It needs the vinyl freshened, material and style, but that will come next winter. The pricing is right, and I know how much of a deal I got, the downside is the boat is being built around his schedule...started in January and I think I will see it splashed finally next week. And in the case of failures, I have recourse and support until my learning reaches a point where much of the work I can do myself.

Double R is 5 minutes from the house here...would have been easy to run up there, he's got 4 or 5 35' Fountains, a couple of 32 Velocity's and a few others sitting around, couple of Cig's (a Revolution he's had around for a long time he wants sold badly)...all 35K more money with engines needing attention and a crap shoot for drives condition.

It's taking it's time, and that is torture but in the end, for me, my needs...I'll be content. Set your budget, be patient, and diligent in searching. Keep an open mind about possibilities and different ways to approach your goal. Know what you can do yourself and what you'll need to send out. Factor in all the indirect expenses and make sure to leave a contingency. Plenty of contingency...it's a boat after all.

Last edited by Pete35Fountain; 07-30-2016 at 10:02 PM.
Old 07-30-2016, 10:24 PM
Registered

What works for us is a decent house at a decent price, my truck is paid off although it is a dodge, her car is almost paid off, I bought an older (late 90's) baja for a good price and my family owns a local marina so I get free dockage/storage. We work within a budget and don't get stupid with our expenses. Sure there are bigger, newer, flashier and faster boats out there that I would love to afford if money were not an option but the boat we have works for us.

If you are looking to spend any amount of time on board the boat and possible overnights, then I would seriously look at the Formulas, Donzi ZX series and even the older Bajas like the 382. They might not be the fastest but these types of boats offer a few amenities that make them more comfortable. Hence why I went with a 36 Outlaw. Big cockpit and big cabin for that size boat along with overnight accomodations.

But take your time and look keep looking at boats until you find what fits for the type of boating you want to do.
Old 07-30-2016, 11:30 PM
Registered

Received 190 Likes on 105 Posts

No offense, what's that 7 year old cost you a month with clothing, food and child care and college savings plan?

That's a pretty good boat payment.

Nothing against those that have kids, they aren't for me and God would they kill my boating.
Old 07-31-2016, 01:02 AM
Registered

I hear "Good Credit" a lot, depending on what you buy you can turn that good credit in BAD credit. I don't know you or your wife's work schedule or where you live but you also have to look at the amount of time you will be able to enjoy the boat because believe me the money does not stop flowing because the boat is sitting still. I have been asked many times about cost of ownership and the only answer I can come up with (depending on the boat) you can figure about 30K to 40k a year and that's for the average "Go Fast" some of these boats are over 100k a year. Also God help you if you have a major repair.
I am not trying to scare you but to prepare you. I would consider my boat to be an average Go Fast/Cruiser and with the maintenance (4k year), Storage (7k year), (cleaning 3k year), insurance (4k year), Fuel (18k year), misc (who knows a year). There is only me and my wife (0) kids and with my work I can come and go whenever I want and stay away for however long I want. I spend this money on boats, cars, ect because if I work it just right the last check I write will bounce.

As Tom Cruise once said "If you have the means I highly recommend it"
Old 07-31-2016, 09:55 AM
Registered

Received 85 Likes on 43 Posts

I would have to disagree with the above estimates, if it cost that much I'd never own one, I'm fortunate enough to have indoor storage at home for my boat, that said, I pay around 100 a month for fully enclosed storage in the summer months, may- end of sept, insurance costs me around 1000 a year, fuel cost 150 a weekend depending on how much you run and what power, maintainence is done by me and costs me under 500 to change fluids, filters, I opted for a twin HO boat for the longevity and general easy maintainence, it's def more expense but it's not ridiculous, anyone who owned a boat knows what comes with them

My first boat was a 21' Baja, ran it for 6 years, paid off, bought a 25' Nordic, used money from Baja as down payment, ran for 5 years, paid off, used that money as down payment, got into our 32 this year and only had to finance 40% of surveyed value, if you buy right and resell without losing your ass, which I've been lucky with, it snowballs itself without thinking about it, I do tend to maintain with the folks that have ocd, which has helped tremendously when it comes to resale
Old 07-31-2016, 10:18 AM
Registered

Like I said "Average Go Fast Boat" there are some that are much more expensive and some that are much less. My expenses are just that "mine".
Old 07-31-2016, 11:08 AM
Registered

Received 151 Likes on 65 Posts

I mean even the average go fast is way less than that I think. I mean is that including the 1,500 a month payment? 18k for fuel, I mean even in Cali where I live that's 6k gallons at 3 bucks a gallon. Even if you made 20 boating trips a year that's 300 gallons every time out. Wow that's just not what people do on most boats anymore. There is rafting up, docked at the restaurant or bar. Then 7k in storage, I guess of you are keeping your 35-40 ft boat in FL inside by the water then sure. Out here we pay 200 a month for a 30 ft boat. Indoor climate controlled thats way less than 7k. Cleaning at 3k,an I wish all my boat clients spent even 20 percent of that when I had my detail business. To me those numbers are just way way to high even for the average go fast. I think those numbers are even high if you towed your boat a few states away for some poker runs.
Old 07-31-2016, 11:40 AM
Registered

Received 258 Likes on 149 Posts

agreed that is high.

my Sonic was pretty trouble free and low cost.

*storage $300 a month ($3600 year)
*insurance $2700 a year
*Fuel.... $500 - $1000 a month depending how much we boated....some months were 1 time boating for maybe $200-$300 bucks.
*Maintance with my 496's was maybe $1000 for the entire year.

i cleaned my own boat....so supplies.... $100/$200 a year maybe.

that was really it.
Old 07-31-2016, 11:42 AM
Registered

Take money from 401k then hope you die young.
Old 07-31-2016, 12:27 PM
Registered

Received 887 Likes on 481 Posts

Originally Posted by Nate5.0
agreed that is high.

my Sonic was pretty trouble free and low cost.

*storage $300 a month ($3600 year)
*insurance $2700 a year
*Fuel.... $500 - $1000 a month depending how much we boated....some months were 1 time boating for maybe $200-$300 bucks.
*Maintance with my 496's was maybe $1000 for the entire year.

i cleaned my own boat....so supplies.... $100/$200 a year maybe.

that was really it.
No mention of a payment, tow vehicle, etc. You spent 13K a year with nothing breaking and no payment.

Even at that $1000 mark per month if you used it twice a month it is $500 every time you take it out. I had a guy tell me at a poker run that his 47 Outerlimits cost him over $500 an hour to operate (pro-rating ownership/maintenance costs to a per hour figure). It was cheaper to trailer boat back from Key West and fly home than to run it back to Miami in the water.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.