Notices

496 HO Mag ??

Old 08-02-2016, 11:25 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 496 HO Mag ??

Guys
Where on the engine would I locate the oil temp sensor? How many wires and what should I look for to confirm they are wired up correctly? All my gauges work but both oil temp gauge's are inop. I think I might have a wires crossed or not connected correctly. I want to start on the engine and work my way forward to the dash panel. I was told by the seller of this sonic 358 that the gauges are not required to be hooked up due to this boat being built in 2005 and Smart Craft capable, they didn't need to have oil pressure sensors hooked up. Total BS, I would like to get these gauges working.

Any assistance with matter would be great appreciated

v/r

Mike P.
Old 08-02-2016, 11:28 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

oil pressure is a must you would think. Oil temp is important, but engine temp should be a good indicator in lieu of an inop oil temp.
Old 08-02-2016, 01:28 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

496's do not come with oil temp sensors. I installed mine in the filter housings to Livorsi gauges.
Old 08-02-2016, 02:34 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

^^^^ Matt is 100% correct all stock 496, Merc, Volvo, Indmar, PCM and so on and so on, never had an oil temp reading and or sender(s) installed to monitor it.

Last edited by BUP; 08-02-2016 at 04:51 PM.
Old 08-02-2016, 03:07 PM
Registered

donzi matt

Thanks for your knowledge on the 496 Mags concerning my oil temp sensor question. I'm going to check with my bud who has 496's in 35 Outlaw to confirm that he's doesn't have also or if someone added them after the fact.

Thanks again, this forum has great members, not a bunch of tools looking to flame people!

Mike P.
Old 08-02-2016, 03:15 PM
Registered

Default Sonic owners ?

Any of you Sonic owners ever gone down the Sonic factory in Fort Pierce to look around and maybe buy some Sonic swag/apprael? Heading down that way Wenesday
to pickup a new trailer in Miami, so I thought I would make a detour to the factory and check it out. Wondering if anybody has done it, is it worth the stop?

Mike
Old 08-03-2016, 02:17 AM
Registered

This is a post from Ray @ Raylar out of another thread. Worked great for me. On my baja, they ran the wire for the oil temp sensor back to the engine harness, so I only had to run a wire from the newly installed oil temp sensor to the baja side of the engine harness.

Originally Posted by Raylar
Easy and inexpensive to add the oil temp sensor. Take the remote oil filter base off the exhaust manifold mounting position and remove the filter. Drill the correct size hole and tap out an 1/8" pipe size thread up thru the bottom of the filter base unit between the center nipple and the edge of the outer flange that the oil filter itself seals to. Install an 1/8" oil temp sending unit up into this tapped hole and connect it to your dash gauge and you will be measuring the oil temp at the best point before it goes thru the oil cooler and back to the pan.

Best Regards,
Ray @ Raylar
Old 08-03-2016, 04:23 PM
Registered

deadsexyll

Thanks for your reply, good info, might give it a try.

Mike