Notices

DCB M29 Triple 400r

Old 08-05-2016, 04:41 PM
Registered

Received 258 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by Wildman_grafix
I want to know how a 2.6l supercharged motor that needs 91 octane is going to be that much more reliable then a 8-8.4L NA 400 BBC.

Granted the 2.6L is much lighter so I suppose the BBC would have to make about 450.

I would not run a 400R for the very reason of needing 91 and more upkeep. I am still just fine with 300's and 350's.

Our current V-Max 175 has 1000 hrs on it and runs like a top
Old 08-05-2016, 04:52 PM
Registered

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts

Aww cool. 1000 hours on a vmax 175. How many black motors have well over 1000. Countless. At least talk apples to apples.
Old 08-05-2016, 05:16 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by I.C.U.Lookin
Aww cool. 1000 hours on a vmax 175. How many black motors have well over 1000. Countless. At least talk apples to apples.
a lot.

But having owned both I have had more trouble free boating in my 175 boat then my black motor 496 HO's

it's not like I have not owned a powerboat and am talking out my ass. I have now owned both and while my Sonic was more eye appealing and sounded better of course. The trouble free, low worry, and easy to upkeep and clean when done boating I do now is much much better than anything I can say about the Sonic.

I will always have a love for big blocks and all that but just like my days with having high HP cars...that is behind me and I much rather watch them and enjoy them while other people that are willing to deal with them own them.
Old 08-06-2016, 05:34 PM
Registered

Received 151 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by Nate5.0
a lot.

But having owned both I have had more trouble free boating in my 175 boat then my black motor 496 HO's

it's not like I have not owned a powerboat and am talking out my ass. I have now owned both and while my Sonic was more eye appealing and sounded better of course. The trouble free, low worry, and easy to upkeep and clean when done boating I do now is much much better than anything I can say about the Sonic.

I will always have a love for big blocks and all that but just like my days with having high HP cars...that is behind me and I much rather watch them and enjoy them while other people that are willing to deal with them own them.

Nate I am with you. I think you remember talking to me before, Im 32 also old school thought but eyes open to new technology.

I recently have started paying more attention to the outboard sport cats as well, where as I used to not look twice at them. That all changed when I got to drive a 28 with 300s at Skaterfest a few years ago. Wow what a blast and a awesome riding and performing boat. I think what guys like the other poster don't realize is just how amazingly fun those boats are. I have also ridden in Jim Lees 28 a few times.

Now with the 400 motors, you can get a 30 cat to run 115-120 with outboards thats awesome. I said a year ago if they can run 120 look out the orders will be pouring in. Like the DW32 at 121 what a machine and I hear it is an animal. I know there are more of those being built as is more MTI 34s and Skater 318s. And of course the DCBs, DCB is just finishing up a new F26 with 400s.

With the fuel cost and maintenance being so much less, I don't care if guys with a 300-500k boat budget don't care about 100-150k more for big blocks. They want fun, reliable boats. Its also the resale and look at the warranty on the new 400s with an option to extend it. Sure it might not be for everyone in the end, but i suggest the doubters/questioners look a little closer and take a moment to think about it more like I did. Cause like I said earlier I used to be one of them, I looked twice they should too.
Old 08-06-2016, 06:11 PM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

The other aspect for me is I am anal about keeping my stuff nice. If I had and inboard package in salt water like I use my boat every weekend in the summer it would a least add 1.5hrs to the cleaning process in the engine compartments.
I also think there is more to HP to come from Mercury. I would not be surprised to see a ROS 450 at the next Miami Boat Show. Other than the DW the rest of the cats need a little more HP to get to 120mph.
Old 08-06-2016, 06:51 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by precisiondetails
Nate I am with you. I think you remember talking to me before, Im 32 also old school thought but eyes open to new technology.

I recently have started paying more attention to the outboard sport cats as well, where as I used to not look twice at them. That all changed when I got to drive a 28 with 300s at Skaterfest a few years ago. Wow what a blast and a awesome riding and performing boat. I think what guys like the other poster don't realize is just how amazingly fun those boats are. I have also ridden in Jim Lees 28 a few times.

Now with the 400 motors, you can get a 30 cat to run 115-120 with outboards thats awesome. I said a year ago if they can run 120 look out the orders will be pouring in. Like the DW32 at 121 what a machine and I hear it is an animal. I know there are more of those being built as is more MTI 34s and Skater 318s. And of course the DCBs, DCB is just finishing up a new F26 with 400s.

With the fuel cost and maintenance being so much less, I don't care if guys with a 300-500k boat budget don't care about 100-150k more for big blocks. They want fun, reliable boats. Its also the resale and look at the warranty on the new 400s with an option to extend it. Sure it might not be for everyone in the end, but i suggest the doubters/questioners look a little closer and take a moment to think about it more like I did. Cause like I said earlier I used to be one of them, I looked twice they should too.

my eyes opened when i started riding in my buddies 30 spectre with 300's on it....so much fun, then a 28 skater and i was hooked.

i can definitely see an o/b cat in my future. They are just a blast to be in.
Old 08-08-2016, 01:19 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I'll be interested to see how much gain they get with the 3rd motor. I can say the change from 300xs to 400R is pretty significant in boat feel, acceleration, handling, etc and i'm still just getting used to as I only was able to just splash this past weekend.

Originally Posted by Nate5.0
I would not run a 400R for the very reason of needing 91 and more upkeep. I am still just fine with 300's and 350's.
Motors can run on 89 in a pinch..just won't give you peak power. I liked being able to get a 4yr warranty.

Last edited by drejustice; 08-08-2016 at 01:21 PM.
Old 08-08-2016, 01:56 PM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Andre,
Glad to see you got the boat back! Hope it meets all your expectations!!!!!!
Sits nice in the water.
Old 08-08-2016, 02:36 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by drejustice
I'll be interested to see how much gain they get with the 3rd motor. I can say the change from 300xs to 400R is pretty significant in boat feel, acceleration, handling, etc and i'm still just getting used to as I only was able to just splash this past weekend.

Motors can run on 89 in a pinch..just won't give you peak power. I liked being able to get a 4yr warranty.

Wow...looks great. How fast was it with the 300XS?
Old 08-08-2016, 03:29 PM
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So cool to see DCB undertaking this project. Cant wait to see her when she's done.