Moisture content in older boats >

Moisture content in older boats

Notices

Old 08-05-2016, 08:55 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How hard is it going to be to find an older 1985-95 boat that has an acceptable moisture level in prone areas like stringers, bulkheads and transom? I realize the boat will dry out some once it's out of the water for a while but once it's placed back in it wicks up water rapidly. Any input or advice would be greatly appreciated.:circ le:
Old 08-05-2016, 10:46 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

In some cases these older boats are wet due to sitting outside unprotected from rain and snow. I have been with surveyors checking moisture content in older boats and found boats that have been covered properly or stored inside are generally dry. Water usually doesn't get into Fiberglass boats from use or sitting in the water for short periods as most trailer boats are. Water damage usually comes from moisture seeping in around unprotected holes through transoms, and thru hull fasteners that have not been bedded or maintained properly.

I have owned boats that stayed in the water 99% of the time and stayed dry unless caught unprotected in a storm. Unless a thru hull opening is in need of repair or there are severe structural issues compromising the hull...modern (post 1960) Fiberglass hulls won't "wick" water into transoms or bulkheads.
Old 08-05-2016, 10:59 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sprink58
In some cases these older boats are wet due to sitting outside unprotected from rain and snow. I have been with surveyors checking moisture content in older boats and found boats that have been covered properly or stored inside are generally dry. Water usually doesn't get into Fiberglass boats from use or sitting in the water for short periods as most trailer boats are. Water damage usually comes from moisture seeping in around unprotected holes through transoms, and thru hull fasteners that have not been bedded or maintained properly.

I have owned boats that stayed in the water 99% of the time and stayed dry unless caught unprotected in a storm. Unless a thru hull opening is in need of repair or there are severe structural issues compromising the hull...modern (post 1960) Fiberglass hulls won't "wick" water into transoms or bulkheads.
Good info. I have heard of some older formula sr1 gathering moisture in the foam around the fuel tank area and causing stringer and bulkhead to rot. It seams some guys dry this area out but with weeks of use in the water. The moisture content is high again?
Old 08-05-2016, 11:34 PM
Registered

Received 575 Likes on 238 Posts

All old Fountains contain a ton of moisture . The endless amount of Fountain Skanks Permeates all porus surfaces.

It's like Curry. The smell never goes away.

If you hire a surveyor make sure he knows how to properly calibrate the moisture meter for previous presents of Skanks if you are looking at a Fountain.

You could get many False a Readings if he is not Familiar with the presence of zskankitest .

It's like Zika butt worst.

All other makes you don't have to worry about.

They could barely get Richard Simmons onboard to go for a ride..

Last edited by tommymonza; 08-05-2016 at 11:39 PM.
Old 08-06-2016, 12:11 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1,124 Likes on 474 Posts

Originally Posted by tommymonza
"All old Fountains contain a ton of moisture . The endless amount of Fountain Skanks Permeates all porus surfaces.

It's like Curry. The smell never goes away................"
I own a Fountain and I like curry...........

Last edited by rak rua; 08-06-2016 at 12:25 AM.
Old 08-06-2016, 09:15 AM
Registered

Received 575 Likes on 238 Posts

Mmmmmmm Curry.

Just had a fabulous one with my Buddy from Austarlia last night, I think leftovers are calling for breakfast.