If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thumbs down Just had surgery..again! Bad news

Those of you have have had prblems with engine builders listen up. Im about to make you feel better about your woes. For those not flollowing the saga, a brief synopsis. I had a two level lumbar spinal fusion on 9/10/02. If was a ***** and somthing I was glad to have gotten past.

Last Monday, I began havig severe pain in my right leg. I called my Dr. who attributed it to healing pains. I knew better and on Wed. demanded a CT scan of my spine be performed. To make a long...very long...story short, during my surgery they used wedge shaped bone implants from a donor which were driven in between my vetrbra after the discs wer removed. These wedges are barbed to prevent then from backking out while the fusion becomes solid. Well, one of mine backed out and actually cut the dura (the lining the your nerves runs through and contains your cerebral spinal fluid). I was directed to retun to the hospital immediataly fpr emergency surgery. They had to completely reopen my 6" incision, loosen all the hardware (screws, rods, etc.) and replace the bone graft that had falied.

Two weeks after a major surgery, I had to go through the entire thing again. I had just gotten to the point where I could get around but now Im back to square one. I can barley walk and typing this is exhuasting but I nneded to vent.

According to my Dr. at the University of Chicago and Medtronics, the maker of the implant, this has b=never happened in thousands of uses.....lucky me.

So thats all for now, Im going to surf for a few while and then back to bed. I hope this makes sense as Im pretty doped up. Take care and be safe.

Forum Regulator VIP Member Sydwayz's Avatar
    My Boats:
    37' Active Thunder AVH; 17' Speedliner Cat OB
    SO sorry to here I1. WE ALL wish you GOD SPEED in a healthy recovery!!

My Boats:
    1997 35' Fountain
    Tinley Park, IL
    I'm so sorry to here this. Your last post I remember seeing that you were outside walking. I hope everything works out ok. Was there any permanent damage done to your nerves? Scary stuff! I'll keep you in my prayers. Get well soon.

Solomons Island, MD
    I1 my best friend just had spinal fusion surgery with a lot of hardware, I know how bad he feels and he cant get around at all and for you to have it done twice. I feel for ya man.

Be stong and hang in there buddy, it will all come back to you. Good luck and God Speed.

Toxic FORMULA Platinum Member mopower's Avatar
    My Boats:
    1989 Formula SR-1 272 t/540's
    pitman nj
    You're not alone , my wife had her jaw broke a week before Thanksgiving to correct a TMJ problem. She was wired shut for 6 weeks (there really is a GOD LOL). also had 3 screws in each side. Right after New Years she was unwired and a week later 2 out of 3 screws on the right side pulled out and her jaw was pivoting on the 3rd screw. Quickly back to the hospital and they installed a titanium plate in her jaw and was then wired for 12 weeks because she was healing so slow. That's what caused the break after the first operation. By this time it was the middle of April and after not moving your jaw for that guessed it . She could hardly move it. It is a little better now but she starts therapy next Tuesday. On a funnier note after losing 38 pounds , all summer I was threatening to buy her a THONG bikini . Her response was somthing like NO [email protected] WAY . Here's to a speedy recovery THIS time
    You can never have too much horsepower or money...It's just hard to have both.

Charter Member #232 Charter Member Audiofn's Avatar
    My Boats:
    1979 Formula 302, 99 Formula 353, 81 Donzi 18 2+3 with 454
    Carlisle, MA USA
    Man I am cringing (sp) just reading that. Dude I am so sorry to hear about that. Best wishes to you in your 2nd attempt. I have a hydrosyphalic shunt (drains fluid off the brain) and a few years ago it broke at my shoulder. The pain was so bad I was passing out. To have to go back in not only was scarry but also angered me. I was just glad to get it over.

Put your best foot forward!

Syracuse, New York
    I had a head on collision in Hockey the other night my neck collapsed, bit my tongue, and dropped to the Ice.
    Sat still a moment, collected my thoughts and thought about my son.
    I was fine, shaken up, but I thought about everyone like yourself with real problems...
    Get well my friend, GODSPEED

Ahhh...the big question, who is responsible. Im guessing I will never know. The surgeon, who is the Chief of Neurosurgery at the University of Chicago, is supposed to be one of the best in the world. Im guessing there will be finger pointing between the installer and the manufacturer. Kind of like a crank failing. Ive always hated the idea of lawsuits but the way I feel right now, and the absolute hell my wife has been put through, I deserve somthing. Both trips to the hospital she stayed by my side 24/7. She also owns and runs a succesgul business. This medical problem of mine has cost her thousands.

Charter Member #94 Charter Member Gordo's Avatar
    My Boats:
    1999 Active Thunder 25' Factory 1 Race Edition
    New Port Richey, FL

Hang in there Chris

Dude, that hurts just reading it!

Sorry to hear about your setback, but hang in there. Hopefully it will be as worth it in the long run as mine was.

May da Schwartz be whitchew !!!!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast