Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
State Dock house boats at Lake Cumberland, are they worth it? >

State Dock house boats at Lake Cumberland, are they worth it?

Notices

State Dock house boats at Lake Cumberland, are they worth it?

Old 08-10-2016, 02:29 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've rented a State Dock 900 series and a Conley Bottom Marina "Luxury Liner".

My take on it -
1)The State Dock boat had a hot tub. The Conley Bottom boat did not. - For some this might matter, honestly wasn't a big selling point either way for me.
2) The State Dock boat was all diesel. The Conley Bottom boat was all gas. This theoretically would be an advantage for the State Dock boat, but we actually had less fuel cost in the Conley boat. The State boat didn't really have a usable battery bank, they basically wanted you to just run the generator all the time, the house batteries were pretty worthless. The Conley boat had a nice battery bank and we basically only ran the generator before dinner (to run AC and cook) and again at night while we were sleeping. During the day we just shut it down and opened the boat up.
3) I think they were both equally 'nice' - both very clean and in good shape.
4) Conley was quite a bit cheaper.

Running around the lake in a houseboat - to me - isn't a whole lot of fun. It's slow/boring/just burns a ton of gas not going anywhere. I'd rather find a pretty place to cove it out and do my running in a smaller boat. State Dock and Conley are about 22mi apart by water (or so says my GPS when I run from one to the other, some charts differ) so there may be some geographical advantage one has over the other if you want to be in a certain area.

Personally, I was just as happy with the Conley boat, for a pretty good chunk less coin.