Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Boats Sales and I/O's down again for the year & Took a beating in July >

Boats Sales and I/O's down again for the year & Took a beating in July

Notices

Boats Sales and I/O's down again for the year & Took a beating in July

Old 08-18-2016, 03:49 PM
Registered

Received 36 Likes on 9 Posts

That's still expensive. However you then have all brand new stuff. I wish pricing was similar today. I'd put $30k down on a new Baja, write the check every month and enjoy.
Originally Posted by SB
That was MSRP.

Selling prices for 26-28ft boats with a 502MPI / Bravo where 60k-75k in 1996-1998. High side of this was Donzi 28ZX for near $80k.

Baja 33 w/twin 502's was $110-$130 depending on options.
Old 08-18-2016, 04:16 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BUP
Wakeboard boats up almost 8 % again and keep in mind only 10 builders of those boats and boat sizes 20 to 25 ft only. WOW. Indmar is selling more engine packages than Mercruiser for the first time. Ilmor selling to one boat builder Mastercraft almost as much as what Volvo Penta sells to 100 boat builders.

The death of Mercruiser and Volvo Penta IMO coming down the road.

This is thru July 2016 plus compared to last year sales for new engines sales. This was sent to me so passing it on.

Keep in mind most NEW boat buyers already bought for I/O's as the kids are going back to school now all over the country

This is Volvo and Mercruiser combined in new engine sales UNDER 8 k end of July 2016. Extremely poor sales combined. Slow death and needs to turn around. The 5 year plan might not even happen as the towel might get thrown in before that timeframe.

http://deirngmnf5ang.cloudfront.net/...tsales0817.jpg
THIS WAS POSTED BY SCOTT SHOGREN MANY YEARS AGO AND HE WAS PRETTY MUCH ON THE MONEY..
the future is Center Consoles, Trailer Boats (meaning up to 30'), pontoons, deck boats, Outboard boats & ski boats along with bigger boats of value.

Why? If you go back to 2005 for example. A buyer may have had a 2002 28' brand X boat with a single brand X motor. He traded it in on a 42 brand X boat with brand X motors and got a bank to do a no doc loan. Shame on the bank number one and shame on the consumer that lied about income. Now this 300K boat is worth 185K and he has a 285K note. He is saying darn, if I just kept that boat I traded I would have it paid for now and would not be in this situation. Instead I am upside down 100K which is more than the boat I traded in.

Face it, there are people that have what I call the "water gene" and will be on the water and boating in some capacity no matter what. This is where the mfg that adjust will have a future. This is just my opinion, not fact but certainly the way things are trending right now.

The bigger the boat the better the value right now. Smaller single engine boats are actually pretty strong right now and the outboard market is growing.

Regards,

Scott Shogren
Old 08-18-2016, 04:37 PM
Registered

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

The price of 2 Corvettes still equals the price of a new boat . Unfortunately, the technology and developement that has made the Corvette what it is today , hasnt been applied to the Marine marketplace. Its hard to justify the price tag when its attached to fancy graphics with a drivetrain designed 30yrs ago ( 350 w/Bravo is not exactly cutting edge tech).
Old 08-18-2016, 06:04 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The way I see it is that the high end builders price their merchandise to what the market will bear period. The bad thing is that the lower priced companies started to do the same thing. Plus, the creative financing that was going on a few years ago...thats what did it. The prices for new boats are rediculous. Only the few privaliged can spring for a new boat. No way an average working joe can afford a new boat. Now with the used ones...even if the boat is redone, if it is an older boat.....no financing.
Old 08-18-2016, 07:01 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by turbo rr
Now with the used ones...even if the boat is redone, if it is an older boat.....no financing.
Not to sidetrack, but go to a credit union, especially if you're A (or sometimes B) paper. Some of them are writing so fast they are selling the loans and holding the servicing back so they can clear their books and write more. 20 year old boat? No problem! Survey? Nah, don't need it, NADA/BUC is fine. 90-100% LTV? Certainly, sir!
Money is cheap right now and the deals are out there if your credit isn't roached.

Last edited by Speedracer29; 08-18-2016 at 07:04 PM.
Old 08-19-2016, 01:02 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am one of the lucky few who bought low and can sell high (but I am not). I got my CC on the used market 3.5-4 yrs ago. I have seen lesser equipped, older (same model) boats selling for $15k-$20k more than the one I bought. Granted, listing price and what they sell for are 2 entirely different things, at $15k-$20k over what I paid for mine, there has to be some $$ in there. But I love my CC too much to sell it. For what we do, day trips with an occasional overnighter (just me and the wife) our 30' Concept is perfect. It runs 65 MPH (GPS) w/twin 225 Optis. Granted there is the cost of 2 stroke oil, but to me that cost is easily justified in less maintence (yes I would rather spend more money over the summer burning 2 stroke, then deal with 1-2 oil changes). The boat is light enuff to trailer with a 1/2 ton pick up, but just large enuff to make it across lake Erie in some snotty weather (it's not a comfortable ride when it gets nasty, but we have never felt "un-safe" either). Of course I am a bit biased now that I own a CC, but I can see why the market is trending this way. They are more versatile, still pretty fast, and still look pretty kick a$$ (of course not all CCs fit this description, I am talking about the sporty ones like Concept, Sunsation, Cigarette, Glastream, etc). The beauty, right now at least, is if I needed to sell it right away, I wouldn't have any problem selling it, where as even the used market Go-Fast Sport Boats aren't selling....
Old 08-19-2016, 07:55 PM
Registered
Gold Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

We have 2 boat dealers in our town. one of them used to sell a TON of bass boats, stingrays, etc etc. now neither of them sell anything but pontoons and Jon boats. Pontoons are the new gig. I have one (as well as my Concord) and to be honest pontoon is way easier to take out for a day of swimming, fun, and drinks. If I could only have one the pontoon would be the one to get cut but I can definitely see the appeal of a pontoon to the masses. Hell, even Jon boat sales have been down because of the sit on top kayak and paddle board craze.
Old 08-19-2016, 08:40 PM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 851 Likes on 312 Posts

Toon's won't work in coastal waters. I'd give one 10 minutes in Long Island Sound with a typical summer blow.
Old 08-19-2016, 09:03 PM
Registered
Gold Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Lol. That would make for a good show though. Inland lakes and rivers are over run with pontoons though
Old 08-20-2016, 06:56 AM
Registered

Received 150 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by Indy
Toon's won't work in coastal waters. I'd give one 10 minutes in Long Island Sound with a typical summer blow.
Tri toons actually do pretty well in snotty water. I take ours on lake mi quite often. It does okay up to about 2ft, anything bigger and you get wet.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.