Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
new  donzi classic 22 owner  , same story >

new donzi classic 22 owner , same story

Notices

new donzi classic 22 owner , same story

Old 08-29-2016, 04:56 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Def going to be speed testing with a vest and tether . Probably with only a buddy. I'll probably also be doing a lot of cruising in style with family and friends most of the time anyhow. I plan on plenty of learning before trying to wring it out . I hate to admit it here but the boat stock feels plenty fast to me at the moment . I have only ran it to about 60 or so and it feels great, although I'm sure that will change a bit at 70+ fully trimmed. The part I'm trying to get is the slow planing speed turning where the boat wants to really roll over . I have been playing with throttle and trim while turning to figure it out . I know its not an ideal boat for towing , but It will be doing so at these speeds and that's why its important to me . I have had other small boats that ran upper 60s ( 18' checkmate persuader with sbc ) but it wasn't even comparable to driving the 22c. I did have a u19 single prop for a hot minute , but only ran it a couple times . I don't remember it feeling a ton like the 22c either . I know this is the norm and I am cool with all the learning . Its just not like any other boat I have operated before. I would love to run into another member on the board with a 22c who knows how to run one just to go for a rip. Anyone in metro det ?? LOL.

Last edited by jd101; 08-29-2016 at 05:08 PM.
Old 08-29-2016, 05:32 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by PG-13
If your discussing the black boat that wiped out at LOTO. I believe that is a 24' Cigarette not a 22' Donzi I could be wrong. Hope driver is OK and recovers to fight another day.
Nope, it's a Donzi 22 Classic with some hull mods.
Old 08-29-2016, 08:25 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

22 actually easier than the U19. As said, take your time, get the feel of the boat. IMO, tabs up, take the fuse out until you get the hang of running without them, and you will. Once past that, the tabs can be your friend for cross chop, occasional low sped porpoising etc, otherwise you will find you don't use them very much at all. If your looking for some help in MI, I know a few people up there that have extensive seat time in 22's of all flavors..
Old 08-29-2016, 08:33 PM
Registered

Received 562 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by Scott B
22 actually easier than the U19. As said, take your time, get the feel of the boat. IMO, tabs up, take the fuse out until you get the hang of running without them, and you will. Once past that, the tabs can be your friend for cross chop, occasional low sped porpoising etc, otherwise you will find you don't use them very much at all. If your looking for some help in MI, I know a few people up there that have extensive seat time in 22's of all flavors..
Yep see way too many people that don't know how to use Tabs . Big tabs on a little boat moving at a good clip will bite you in the azz..
Old 08-29-2016, 08:51 PM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

Originally Posted by tommymonza
Yep see way too many people that don't know how to use Tabs . Big tabs on a little boat moving at a good clip will bite you in the azz..
One of the reasons I mounted mine the way I did..it softens them up but you still get the durability of a real tab....
Old 08-30-2016, 07:01 AM
Registered

Received 606 Likes on 275 Posts

Most of us Classic owners have gone through this learning curve. You can throw a lot of what you know about driving a boat out the window. On my maiden voyage my boat rolled onto it's side twice and I was like "why the hell did it do that?". Now I've mastered the boat and carving deep banked turns at any speeds. You will learn to feel when it is about to roll too far and simply straighten the steering wheel to stop it. Most people don't realize the skill it takes to drive these boats and to carve those turns. Very fun and satisfying. One thing I'd like to emphasize is that your boat should have ZERO poor handling traits at high speed. Porpoise should stop and there should be no chine walk. Usually you will need just a bit of port tab to keep the boat level. As you trim up for top speed you can raise the tab. If you have an issue at speed then you may have a problem to address.
Old 08-30-2016, 07:27 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a 700HP 22' Donzi classic and while I loved the boat it was really uncomfortable when it got past 80mph. I know others have run faster stating it was nice and straight but mine felt like it was on the ragged edge. I don't think it's the best choice when trying to go to max speed. It's definitely a drivers boat but you need to know the limits.
Old 08-30-2016, 10:51 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A few things. Most of the newer 22C's want to roll over to port as you come out of the hole and will maintain this attitude after you are up on plane w/o trim or tabs. As speed increases and positive trim is applied the roll to port diminishes considerably and the boat will have more of a level running attitude, depending on weight distribution. So you can drive through this by trimming up. The other option is to apply some tab down on the port side out of the hole. It doesn't take much as sometimes just a little past being parallel with the running surface will do it. Most of the time the starboard tab is not required. I have tab indicators so I run mine both down to keep things fairly symmetric but with "4" down being parallel to the bottom of the boat I run the port tab to 5-6 and the starboard to 4-5. Once I'm up on plane and the boat is level I trim up to where I need to be then set the tabs for the running conditions. Don't be afraid to look over your shoulder at the spray off the tabs. Sometime this is a simple method to read your tab position when you don't have indicators and can tell you a lot about what's going on back there.

I hate porpoise so I'm almost always running the port side tab down around 5 unless I'm up over 60 and the need for them pretty much goes away. I'd play with that port side tab a little and get a feel for what works. Again you can drive through the port lean pretty easily with positive trim but it's the 22 porpoise that will feel uncomfortable beyond this if your boat reacts this way. The props are also a big area of discussion on the 22's and can effect handling.

All this is for smooth to choppy water at reasonable speed. The boat should be rock solid when running at speed (60+) in this type of water with good positive trim; tabs can be pretty much all the way up. One thing to note though is that I'd be prepared to drop the tabs back down if you're running at speed and want to drop the speed down. When I'm running at 70+ with no tabs and want to drop back down below 60 I'll drop the tabs back down a bit before pulling back on the throttle and trim. This is easy with indicators when you know where everything is but I'd be a little careful doing this without indicators until you're comfortable with the boat.
Old 08-30-2016, 07:34 PM
Registered

Yep guys, every thing said here rings true to what I've experienced so far . I have only owned one boat with tabs and only need them to calm porpoising at various cruise speeds . I am going to try to run the boat with drive trim only and really get a feel , then work with the tabs later ( at least I hope ) . This way I'm not adding too many variables to the learning curve. It does feel rock solid when running into the 60s trimming up . I hope I got a good one from the start and it doesn't start gettting out of line once wrung out. I think part of the problem with my slow speed rolling is I am not feeding quite enough throttle in and its also falling off plane a bit mid turn. Idk. It turns great at 35 to 40 tho. The 22 classic has always been a dream of mine to own . So I'm damn sure going to see it through. As a side note a good friend (boater also) of mine was like " How much was this ? You don't even get any cup holders ! " I chuckled . I guess it either does something for you or it doesn't . Nobody I boat with can figure out why I sold my Crownline 202br lpx and spent more than twice as much on the Classic. I DO .
Old 08-30-2016, 07:43 PM
Registered

What changed on the 22 Classic from the 90s ( merc era ) to the mid 2000s that causes them to possibly handle different?
The following users liked this post:
OPA (05-13-2021)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.