Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
new donzi and foutian at loto >

new donzi and foutian at loto

Notices

new donzi and foutian at loto

Old 09-04-2016, 12:39 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very glad to see Donzi back in production. It's got me thinking of building a 35zr closed bow with the latest electronics package, not a lot of heavy options, put a pair of Ilmor 570's in it and enjoy.
Old 09-04-2016, 06:10 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

I was shocked the Donzi only did 65 if I recall at the shootout. I think it has the 8.2 cat engines

The mid cabin open bow for me just does nt work and not usable in rough water nor a big poker run nor offshore ocean running,

The extended swim platform added on after the built in swim platform just looks very bad - looks like an after thought. My thoughts - Have an aluminum swim platform from a 2001 33 Baja outlaw laying around - oh lets paint it red and throw it on the brand new 2017 Donzi that has a built in swim platform already.

Last edited by BUP; 09-04-2016 at 06:25 PM.
Old 09-04-2016, 09:38 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 224 Likes on 129 Posts

The 35 Donzi ran 74 and 81. The 22 ran 68 and 69

Last edited by JaayTeee; 09-04-2016 at 09:41 PM.
Old 09-04-2016, 10:47 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BUP
I was shocked the Donzi only did 65 if I recall at the shootout. I think it has the 8.2 cat engines

The mid cabin open bow for me just does nt work and not usable in rough water nor a big poker run nor offshore ocean running,

The extended swim platform added on after the built in swim platform just looks very bad - looks like an after thought. My thoughts - Have an aluminum swim platform from a 2001 33 Baja outlaw laying around - oh lets paint it red and throw it on the brand new 2017 Donzi that has a built in swim platform already.
Ridiculous. Open bow works just fine. You don't hear about cc's taking on water in rough seas and a bow rider is more protected. It's an urban legend you're spreading, nothing more.
Old 09-04-2016, 10:59 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Agreed....I will say though we don't have passengers seated up front when running in any kind of chop, for example Lake Erie
Old 09-04-2016, 11:07 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1,125 Likes on 475 Posts

Originally Posted by freshwaterfiend
Ridiculous. Open bow works just fine. You don't hear about cc's taking on water in rough seas and a bow rider is more protected. It's an urban legend you're spreading, nothing more.

Urban legend or urban myth.....?

To be fair, it does look like he was referring to rough water and I discourage people from sitting up front in my cc when it's rough, you just have to hang on too tight! On the flip side, back in the old days when Sunsation built mcob's, most were fitted with a 100mph speedo up in the nose so they would certainly agree with you.

RR
Old 09-05-2016, 08:33 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Originally Posted by BUP
I don't hate it. Since the boat is an open bow, it's aimed at being a family boat. Many of the molded in platforms are down right dangerous as if they have non-skid, it's doesn't do much to keep you on the boat. I've slipped on many a molded-in platform. The Sonic I had was one of the only ones that really gripped your feet. And if the boat has ITS drives on it, the added on platform makes it much safer for being a family boat. (Re: swimming around the aft end of the boat.)
Old 09-05-2016, 08:47 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1,125 Likes on 475 Posts

Not a fan of the color on the Donzi, it looks like a blood clot.
Old 09-05-2016, 10:42 AM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

You were right the Donzi went 74 mph not what I posted. My bad

Any open bow as a Driver in rough water and alot poker runs can get extremely rough along with LOTO and the Great Lakes and of course the ocean, ---- I and I do say I being the captain and hold all the responsibility WOULD NOT feel anyone in the bow area would be SAFE, my concentration would solely focus on them. Can careless about urban legend especially as a driver and holding the responsibility of all passenger safety. With that said and for MY style of boating, a mid cabin does not work. Great it works for you - do you own one (MCOB) just asking. if not why not ?

Also I like Donzi as the 38 Comp is one of my favorite boats in the mix of others. No I do not own one.

As for extended swim platform I would have picked one that many of the rec boats use that are more user friendly being geared towards a family boat more so. Swim platforms .com makes some nice ones. I have installed about 15 of them thru out for the family rec boats. They are fully texted with non skid as well, they are not a slatted platform which is very hard to lay on and sometimes slats are hard for small kids feet and if you drop something while hanging out on the platform say good bye to it with the slats especially tools,

Very glad to see new sportboats being built for the market. Hope it continues for all involved.

Last edited by BUP; 09-05-2016 at 11:30 AM.