If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    My Boats:
    79 Larry Smith Scarab 'Kaama'
    Abita Springs, La.
    In the event of a blowout, I think that a triple would probably handle better while getting to a safe spot to change the tire. A triple will also give you extra margin before the front tire falls off the ramp when backing in deep. My main runners and drive guard are 8 inch channel- steel- and definitely protect the drives.

My Boats:
    1993, Fountain, 32' Fever
    Conifer, CO
    I have a triple axle for my 32í Fever. It handles very well. I was blowing a lot of tires so I had it aligned ($200). Since then, itís been kind to tires. You just want to watch your turning radius. If you scrub the tires too much, you can bend the axles. Triples also look more impressive going down the road.

Flemington, N.J. U.S.A
    32fever, What I think he ment by "you can run without one tire " on a triple , is You jack up that axle , remove the tire , and chain the axle up to the frame then let it down . This is very common . I've even done it with a 3" nylon strap just wrapped around the axel and frame and tied it . It worked in a jam !

Also on you backing problem , Your trailer has the wrong brakes on it . It should have "Free baking brakes " .BUt since it doesn't , they have a little $20 solinoid (sp) you put on the front of the trailer and hook into your backup lights . When in reverse the solinoid keeps it from building pressure to the brakes . Hope that makes your life a little easier ....

Forum Regulator VIP Member Sydwayz's Avatar
    My Boats:
    37' Active Thunder AVH; 17' Speedliner Cat OB
    Who did your trailer alignment??????

My Boats:
    29' Profile-V 1997
    Triple all the way. I like the looks of 3 axles and I also think they smooth out the rough roads a little better. I also heard all the horry stories about turning and rolling tires. Never happened yet but I keep my tires pressure up. Only time I cuss it is when it is time to service wheel bearings. Just my .02

As long as you get a trailer set up properly you would be happy with either 2 or 3 axles.

You beat me to it On my fishing boat, it has surge disc brakes, it has a solenold on it that takes the brakes away by opening the flow of brake fluid back to the resevoir when backing.

The only way I would tie up the axle to tow is if the remaining two tires/axles could carry the weight of that side of the boat, and yes you would mess up the alignment by not having all 6 tires on the ground.

As far as stability when having a flat with trips..... I have a wheel that I'm saving from one night towing the Formula to S. FL. that is worn flat Never knew I had a flat until the bead wire from the tire locked the brakes up and did the sparks fly then

Solomons Island, Md
    Triple axles trailers make your boat look bigger.

Actually I got a triple so that I could loose a tire and still tow to a safe place.

Triples all the way. Have towed F1-48 (29' about 7000 lb.) over 50,000 miles this year mostly at 75-80 mph. Had a truck hit us in San Antonio that took out the right rear wheel, tire and bent the axle. We strapped up the axle and ran into Corpus on 5 tires. Towed just fine. Disc brakes will cause you less problems than drums.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12