Full or empty fuel tank this winter? >

Full or empty fuel tank this winter?

Notices

Full or empty fuel tank this winter?

Old 09-23-2016, 08:34 AM
Registered

Received 1,328 Likes on 741 Posts

Originally Posted by glassdave

eth land and non eth marine fuel have additives that do not mix well together, they can turn into a sludge like slurry
You have a reference for that Dave? That is something I could have a issue with very easy.
Old 09-23-2016, 09:07 AM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Wildman_grafix
You have a reference for that Dave? That is something I could have a issue with very easy.
i cant recall, i think it was in an issue of Professional Boat Builder. I will see if i can find it.
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 09-23-2016, 09:30 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ethanol empty, ethanol free full. Use stabil in both.
Old 09-23-2016, 11:25 AM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

By far have more experience winterizing boats in which many of those boats have sat for years and years untouched because of complete drought. Way more time involved on the marine end with 1 or 2 or even 5 year old fuel that has sat in marine gas tanks for that long compared to anyone who writes stories or where ever especially for guys who just winterize their own boat or possible a few friends boats. Most marine service problems are fuel and or cooling related so I see it on a daily basis year after year even with NON ethanol fuel. Plus I professionally flow test and clean fuel injectors about 1000 to 2000 per year for the past 7 years going on 8. So I see fuel related problems all the way to the end of the line. ( the fuel injector) and the start of those problems as well ( the fuel tank ) .

Before youtube and bilge heaters became the standard for boaters winterizing their own boats - 400 boats was about the norm for winterizations. then 200 boat winterizations became the norm and currently for a one man band shop 40 to 100 is about the norm depending how cold winter starts out in the South.

best results for fuel additives / stabiizers

1. Lube control fuel additive - old man use to make this in Dallas out of his garage. A company bought him out. the best I have seen but not sure about the product currently.

2, Driven Carb defender

3. CRC fuel stabilizer but its a certain one and believe it or not if I recall has a chemical base of anti freeze or the base is close to it.

4. Pink Sta bil that has been used by more engine manu's threw out the years and still is for Lawn, small engine, motorcycles, karting and so on. The blue marine stabil forms sticky deposits in long periods of sitting. Even in its own container.

5. Phazer made Dallas

Keep in mind most fuel additives and stabilizers have alcohol into their mix. The first 4 I listed do not and I know for a fact they have ZERO alcohol, I can not speak for Phazer for any alcohol content in it.

the 2 stroke oil you are looking for is Citgo or Mystik premium plus. Same product just different price. The soup mix in your fuel system and gas tanks provides the best results for any storage. Drain the old gas out if 6 months or older, fill with fresh fuel. Do fuel samples and check for water in the fuel along with related fuel system maintenance first timeframe of boating season and threw out the year with proper fuel system lay up. Use quality fuel stabilizer 365 days per year. Best solutions for turn key boating. No brainer.

Last edited by BUP; 09-23-2016 at 11:59 AM.
Old 09-23-2016, 01:09 PM
BUP
Banned

here is the main reason the EPA and other info sources does not recommend mixing E 0 and E 10, it really has to do with RVP differences of the 2.

https://www.arb.ca.gov/enf/advs/advs315.pdf

Keep in mind, many cars travel on the road today running across country mix E0 with E 10, including myself - Oklahoma is filled with E0 gas and my area is all E 10 - I have mixed the 2 without any problems including boats as well.

Matter of fact just filled the wifes car with E0 from outside the area with a half tank of E 10, Runs the same without any problems.

E 10 been in the fuel supply since 1979 and you can not tell me that it has never been mixed 1000 s of times from one gas station to the next- watch the vid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYHoeIvb8I4

Last edited by BUP; 09-23-2016 at 01:45 PM.
Old 09-23-2016, 07:14 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Originally Posted by BUP
here is the main reason the EPA and other info sources does not recommend mixing E 0 and E 10, it really has to do with RVP differences of the 2.

https://www.arb.ca.gov/enf/advs/advs315.pdf

Keep in mind, many cars travel on the road today running across country mix E0 with E 10, including myself - Oklahoma is filled with E0 gas and my area is all E 10 - I have mixed the 2 without any problems including boats as well.

Matter of fact just filled the wifes car with E0 from outside the area with a half tank of E 10, Runs the same without any problems.

E 10 been in the fuel supply since 1979 and you can not tell me that it has never been mixed 1000 s of times from one gas station to the next- watch the vid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYHoeIvb8I4
I gotta find the article i read. Actually i think they were referring to E10 land gas being mixed with something like Valvetech E0 marina gas. I will dig it out . . . . think it was an issue of ProBoat
Old 09-23-2016, 08:01 PM
BUP
Banned

Dave this one, I get the Professional boat builder magazine as well. Are you going to IBEX ?

http://www.proboat.com/professional-...-issue-no-160/

Last edited by BUP; 09-23-2016 at 08:03 PM.
Old 09-23-2016, 08:15 PM
BUP
Banned

Texas is under 150 land gas station for finding NON Ethanol but 90 miles North in Oklahoma has 620 land gas stations to buy NON Ethanol fuel. Actually it is easier to find E0 in Oklahoma that it is to find E10.

Here is the list in Oklahoma below and actually I bet it is more than that listed

http://pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=OK
Old 09-23-2016, 08:46 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Originally Posted by BUP
Dave this one, I get the Professional boat builder magazine as well. Are you going to IBEX ?

http://www.proboat.com/professional-...-issue-no-160/
Yep, just found it after I posted. I have every issue I ever received just had to go through the last few. Gonna re read it later tonight and report back. Would like to scan it but not sure if I can.

No gonna make IBEX this year, you?

Last edited by glassdave; 09-23-2016 at 08:52 PM.
Old 09-23-2016, 09:07 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

The engines in all of my boats have never remained stock for more than one year. The engines in my Scarab would run come spring on old gas. The old fuel would foul out the plugs.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.