How much would you pay to gain a couple MPH ? Blueprinting Bravo lowers

Notices

How much would you pay to gain a couple MPH ? Blueprinting Bravo lowers

Old 09-26-2016, 11:47 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much would you pay to gain a couple MPH ? Blueprinting Bravo lowers

Most of us on OSO have no problem dropping a couple grand if were guaranteed to gain a couple MPH (at least I would do it, lol ) , Labbing your props is a perfect example , Well myself & another fellow OSO'er have been testing a way to perfect the surface of a stock bravo 1 lower .. essentially blueprinting it on a CNC machine. We both ran/tested them this season for a combined 60 hours of running time & both our boats consistently seen 2 MPH gains on top speed , as well as better midrange cruise & high speed handling, Blueprinting lowers is obviously nothing new, but the process on a CNC Machine would make this something more affordable to the average performance boat enthusiast, So my point is just to gauge interest if others would be interested in this type of service, we have a fixture set up enabling us to run the program without disassembling the lower. I've attached a few pics of the process , you can see how wavy the stock casting is , there is major room for improvement !
Attached Thumbnails How much would you pay to gain a couple MPH ?  Blueprinting Bravo lowers-cnc1.jpg   How much would you pay to gain a couple MPH ?  Blueprinting Bravo lowers-cnc2.jpg   How much would you pay to gain a couple MPH ?  Blueprinting Bravo lowers-cnc3.jpg  

How much would you pay to gain a couple MPH ?  Blueprinting Bravo lowers-cnc4.jpg   How much would you pay to gain a couple MPH ?  Blueprinting Bravo lowers-cnc5.jpg   How much would you pay to gain a couple MPH ?  Blueprinting Bravo lowers-cnc6.jpg  

Old 09-26-2016, 11:58 AM
Registered

Received 742 Likes on 400 Posts

Looks awesome. Do you sonically test for case thickness beforehand to ensure you aren't going to mill through a section? Just thinking of possible inconsistencies in case thickness. Not sure how thick the cases are or how much material on average you are removing.
Old 09-26-2016, 12:00 PM
Registered

Received 105 Likes on 51 Posts

Very interesting. Do you know how much material you actually removed? Did you "UT" the case before and after or possibly weigh the unit before and after to determine how much?
Old 09-26-2016, 12:14 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is there a average on how much speed you can gain by blueprinting the lower...labbing prop...adjusting drive height...etc.
I guess my question is how much additional speed can most people get with same power by fine tuning their set up?
I have a 253 checkmate. what results can i get installing 2" shorty? 1" shorty? Labbed prop? Blueprint Outdrive? Ext Box?
All of the high speed boats seem to have all of that...what can the average guy expect to gain with fine tuning to get optimal results with same power?
5mph...8mph?
Have always been curious how much speed is hiding in my set up....Mine is stock factory set up btw,
I hope this isn't a thread jack, just wondering since you brought up what seems to be the last piece of the puzzle.
I am no expert and don't claim to be one.
Old 09-26-2016, 12:17 PM
Registered

What speed do these stock units strat to crap out? where does the gain begin to show up? In other words would it be worth it on a 70 mph boat ? 80, 90, IDK
Old 09-26-2016, 12:28 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

We cut up a stock case in to determine where we could safely remove material without compromising the case strength, in the carrier area there is minimal cut, (.020 ) , We had 3D file made & then reshaped to improve flow , & this was more less an attempt to help out a bravo based boat , perhaps an alternative to purchasing -2 or -1 lowers , just making your current set up more efficient...
Old 09-26-2016, 12:34 PM
Registered

Received 190 Likes on 76 Posts

Can you share your testing procedures on both boats? Hull type, X-dimension, HP, same props before and after?, weight, before and after speeds ect. If you can truly get 2 MPH on cleaning up just the lower get ready to have a line of people sending you there lowers.
Old 09-26-2016, 12:42 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Ballpark price?
Old 09-26-2016, 12:48 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Tests were done on 35 & 42 Fountain. NO other changes done aside from the lowers , (same props , hp, etc) both boats have the stock x dim from Fountain, we tested 1 full summer , obviously results are going to vary at different speed ranges, hulls designs etc.. were 90 -100 MPH stepped v 's. , just a couple regular guys trying to improve our set up without going into the motors
Old 09-26-2016, 12:50 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by vintage chromoly
Ballpark price?
We're working on that , just trying to gauge interest 1st to see if worthwhile

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.