Notices

Louisiana

Old 10-02-2002, 08:01 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Louisiana

HOLY SHHHHEEAATT!! That's one mother of a hurricane ....i hope noone is gonna try and ride this one out....Louisiana is gonna need some help for sure....I met a couple cool dudes from there a couple weeks ago...I'll be thinking of you guys..
Old 10-02-2002, 10:37 PM
Registered

Good Luck to all those that reside in La.
Old 10-02-2002, 11:06 PM
Registered

Thanks- we need it!!! It looks like the hurricane force winds will miss us by about 60 miles, and the local weathermen are predicting 45-55 with 65 MPH gusts for my area.

I was on the NOAA national data buoy website (the main center is about 1/2 mile from my office!) and 1 buoy was reading 148 MPH and crests of some ungodly number like 38 feet. They tow the buoys out into a channel to test them with a 38 ft Chris-craft Stinger.

http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/

I do feel for the people in the direct path- RJCardinal has hopefully evacuated- as it may pass near Baton Rouge.

We got a direct hit from Betsy and also rode through the perimeter of Camille. 150+ MPH winds rips stuff apart big time. There are stories of a wind gauge that read a peak of over 200 MPH during Camille. That storm shoved a wall of water 28+ feet into the Mississippi Gulf coast, and there is an older lady that works in my building that gets tears in her eyes whenever people talk about that storm. I rode through the aftermath with my dad, and can only compare it to the effects of an atomic bomb blast.

Thanks again!

Bulldog aka Ronnie
Old 10-02-2002, 11:21 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm still hoping it'll turn and head for Mexico.

It shouldn't be too bad in Baton Rouge. Some flooding, power outages, and fences knocked down but nothing too dangerous. I'm right outside Baton Rouge and haven't talked to anyone thats leaving. Just see a lot of people buying beer. The people in the western part of the state (south of Laffeyette) are the ones in trouble.
Old 10-03-2002, 08:18 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Listen to me. I'm a veteran. I rode out Andrew in Baton Rouge.

FIRST -- You're gonna need some tequila and a couple of strippers.

Second -- (Well, you can figure it out from here.)

My mother rode out Gilbert in Brownsville, Tx. I called her to see if she was evacuating. She said she was gonna ride it out , but had already been to the store for emergency supplies. Out of concern, I asked what she had picked up. She said she got a gallon of vodka, two cartons of cigarettes, and a can of tuna fish.
Old 10-03-2002, 01:25 PM
Registered

We're located 'bout halfway between Baton Rouge & N.O., looks like we lucked out again. Pray for the folks in the direct path.

Thanks