Notices

Joystick or no joystick?

Old 10-06-2016, 04:28 PM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by turbom700
I think someone misplaced the decmical. When I looked at it I thought it was about a 1600 dollar option. I can totally see it on the big CC but like others have said, really anything that goes over 65-70mph should have a tie bar.
Hope, $16,000 for Evenrude joystick steering per their boat quote with options.
Old 10-06-2016, 05:53 PM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 864 Likes on 317 Posts

Not for me, if I can't dock my boat the normal way I shouldn't be on one IMO.
Old 10-06-2016, 08:06 PM
Ing
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 14 Posts

The Verados move independent of each other with the joystick control in twin, triple or quad configurations. On your cat the engines will be so far apart you can easily close quarters maneuver by splitting the throttles. Tie bar is a must. My Renegade turns within its own length 360 degrees by splitting the throttles. There are youtube videos showing the joystick and the engines moving.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-AOoTJwacc
Old 10-06-2016, 09:38 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1,123 Likes on 473 Posts

Originally Posted by X-rated
I guess I was under the impression the tie bar would still be used and the joystick would only control forward and reverse, kinda like we do now with throttles and gear levers.
I'm sure I read this somewhere in a press release or boat test, just can't remember where....?
We dock our boats using gearshift, throttles and NO steering, surely a joystick can do the same. Would not be quite as efficient as the 'independent steering' version but should still do the same job.

RR
Old 10-06-2016, 11:31 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Here's a system that they say caters for hi-performance with twins/trips /quad application and also cats.

http://www.seastarsolutions.com/wp-c...0-2014-web.pdf

Of course, their definition of "hi-performance" may not extend to the100 mph+ boats on the market. I don't know?

For the old school guys who say it's just not right, do you still heat your iron over the fire and spray water onto the clothes? Do you have a gps speedo or still use a pitot tube? Do you navigate with a plotter or a chart and sextant? Etc,etc.....

RR
Old 10-07-2016, 06:00 AM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by rak rua
For the old school guys who say it's just not right, do you still heat your iron over the fire and spray water onto the clothes?
No, but docking a 33' boat with two sticks in tight space is not an issue.
Old 10-07-2016, 06:17 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by Indy
No, but docking a 33' boat with two sticks in tight space is not an issue.
I think in years to come, sadly, younger boaters won't know how to dock a boat using the sticks. Bit like asking the younger generation to do simple arithmetic like long division, they don't need to know how because they just use the calculator on their smart phone.

RR
Old 10-07-2016, 07:09 AM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by rak rua
I think in years to come, sadly, younger boaters won't know how to dock a boat using the sticks. Bit like asking the younger generation to do simple arithmetic like long division, they don't need to know how because they just use the calculator on their smart phone.

RR
True, I also think younger folks don't care much about boats anymore. The kids in our extended family and their friends generally have their head buried in phones. What a bore.
Old 10-07-2016, 10:12 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

As others have said, Joystick on a cat is a no no. On the other hand, If there is a guy docking next to me with a stiff breeze and he doesn't have much experience, I would hope he had a joystick!