Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Just booked our Lake Cumberland house boat vacation, have a few questions. >

Just booked our Lake Cumberland house boat vacation, have a few questions.

Notices

Just booked our Lake Cumberland house boat vacation, have a few questions.

Old 10-07-2016, 08:59 PM
Registered
Gold Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Just booked our Lake Cumberland house boat vacation, have a few questions.

Just booked our vacation for next summer. Headed to Lake Cumberland for July 17-21. We have a State Dock house boat rented. We will be taking a few other boats Plus a pontoon. Any suggestions on a good area of the lake to setup camp? Any areas to avoid? Anything we need to make sure we bring? What is the debris situation typically like that time of year? I'm open to all suggestions and ideas as this will be our first time doing this.
Old 10-08-2016, 10:26 AM
Registered

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

It really all depends on what you are looking for. State Dock is centrally located on the lake. You can go out and find a secluded cove for your stay or go tie up in Jacks Branch - Harmon Creek and be at ground zero for party central. Usually by that time of the season the debris should all be gone. Russell County is now wet and State Dock sells beer in the event you run out! Jamestown Marina has now opened "Cumberland Tap" but I have not been there yet.
Old 10-08-2016, 10:42 AM
Registered
Gold Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm down for some partying but we will have some kids with us. Might have to park the house boat just out of range of the party and take the small boats down for the action
Old 10-08-2016, 11:35 AM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 270 Likes on 95 Posts

Definitely not hard to find a secluded cove, we would head out into the main body of the take towards the falls and have one of our small boats or jet skis scout out coves. If you've never been there keep you gps with ya while scouting, its not hard to get lost but once you get use to the geography its not bad. Our itinerary was the same every year.

thursday afternoon party the night at state dock while friends trickled in from various points. We would do an annual get together with friends from all around, it made more sense to hang at State Dock then try and rush everyone there just to get out plus we always had fun with the staff there.
friday morning meander our way to the falls and arrive mid afternoon then stay the night somewhere around the falls although im not sure you can still do that
saturday morning head back out into the main body of the lake, goof around in the lake and look for a cove usually down Beaver or Otter creek.
Saturday night party our azzes off lol
sunday morning take a fist full of Advil and head back to State Dock

Been about ten years since i been down there and we always did the trips this time of year in the fall so I'm not sure what summer traffic is like, made having the hottub way more worth while when it was cooler out. The lake traffic was light, nights are cool and lake is still warm. The lake is deep like several hundred feet but because it is a flooded valley there are obstacles, they were marked last we were there. In the main body you should be ok but back in some of the coves you should keep an eye out.
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )