Notices

Szolack withdrawing from Shootout Action

Old 10-20-2016, 08:13 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jusabum
DUDE, ARE YOU SERIOUS?
I can tell you're smart, but please put this in layman's terms.
What! ................. you didn't understand that? ;-)
Old 10-20-2016, 09:03 PM
Registered

Received 916 Likes on 304 Posts

Hi Naut, long time.

Found this old picture which I think helps visualize your explanation?
[ATTACH=CONFIG]560682[/ATTACH]

Red dot is the CoG position, green rectangle is the CP in ground effect, magenta is where the CP can travel as the boat moves with 6 degrees of freedom.

P.S. Still blows me away too...
Attached Thumbnails Szolack  withdrawing from Shootout Action-84405d1379026449-catamarans-high-speed-blow-over-causes-solutions-th.jpg  

Last edited by kidturbo; 10-20-2016 at 09:06 PM.
Old 10-20-2016, 09:24 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

DUDE, ARE YOU SERIOUS?
Hey someone did ask if anyone familiar with aerodynamics would comment....lol

I'm right with you nautdesign1, but I'm a pilot with an engineering and aerodynamics background
Old 10-20-2016, 09:26 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I knew Jim melley when I was a kid. I grew up down the road from him. I haven seen him in years and it's very sad to me to see this happen. Jim was always a speed guy. Started in motocross... Funny thing is many many years ago before motocross flat track bikes got faster and faster until the out profoarmed the tire technology. People where getting hurt and worse. Things advanced and got better because of science and learning from failure . But to keep putting yourself in this ( roll the dice) actions of flying a ( plane) with no controls nothing will be safe. Every time I have seen the posts or people from fiore to Garth and Jim ......it's to much to soon. I feel horrible for ALL the family and friends along the way... Congrats to anyone who knows that they are fast enough. It's hard to come to turms with that natural human instinct to be better fast stronger.
Old 10-20-2016, 09:47 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1,138 Likes on 481 Posts

DUDE, ARE YOU SERIOUS?
I had to read the post a few times but I think he's saying this.....

Planes get 1/3 of their aerodynamic lift from under the wing and 2/3 from suction above the wing.
A tunnel hull boat however, gets most of it's lift from under due to the compressed air through the tunnel and the hard surface (water) below.
The point of maximum lift is somewhere around the cockpit when the boat is running nicely.
As the bow lifts slightly, the point of maximum lift moves forward.
When the bow lifts up more severely, the point of maximum lift moves further forward and leads to an inevitable blow-over.

He summarizes by saying the tunnel boat has no way to control where the lift is centered, unlike an airplane wing. The boat is like a fixed wing being pushed further without altering shape to allow for higher speed.

Sounds like it's not possible to overcome the 'ground effects' lift from underneath because a boat is always running close to the water.

Please let me know if I've misunderstood and I'll correct/delete.

RR

Last edited by rak rua; 10-21-2016 at 01:58 AM.
Old 10-20-2016, 11:57 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by texaschopper
When in middle school I was a crew member on a 7 Litre Hydro Team. (I washed the boat and held it in the water waiting for the 5 minute gun) - anyway this boat had a system in where it would fill the sponsons with water should the front get light. So it would work like this...coming out of the turn, the driver would get on the gas, and start letting water out. If the boat felt good, he would continue to let more water out to "fly the hull" they called it all the way to the turn, at which time he would fill them back up so it would settle down really quick, could drive deeper into the turn, and could turn fast without rolling over. If going down the straight the driver felt the front getting light and rising too much, he would open the inlet, and it would fill the sponson up almost instantly. During the few years I was doing this I saw at least 12-15 boats go over, ours never did, and it held the lap speed record for whatever the course length was I don't remember.

Of course I realize a big difference between a 22 foot boat weighing almost nothing running about 145 MPH, and a 40+ foot boat running 175+, but a way to control weight in the front very quickly is perhaps something to think about?
I remember a lot of the hydros had " open" backs to the sponsons. Sitting in the water they were full. Then when they plained off, they slowly drained. Good memories
Old 10-21-2016, 07:12 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 866 Likes on 325 Posts

Originally Posted by rak rua

Sounds like it's not possible to overcome the 'ground effects' lift from underneath because a boat is always running close to the water.

Please let me know if I've misunderstood and I'll correct/delete.

RR
Think about what these guys are doing. Its all starting to make sense with all this "lift" talk... Consider that a Cessna cruises at about 140 and tops out at 185!
Old 10-21-2016, 07:40 AM
Registered

Received 900 Likes on 489 Posts

Originally Posted by Keith Atlanta
Think about what these guys are doing. Its all starting to make sense with all this "lift" talk... Consider that a Cessna cruises at about 140 and tops out at 185!
and a small Cessna Skyhawk can take off at about 75 mph.......
Old 10-21-2016, 07:54 AM
Registered

Received 755 Likes on 407 Posts

Great input and conversation from folks in the know. Very enlightening.
Old 10-21-2016, 08:26 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1,138 Likes on 481 Posts

Agree with ^^^^.
Interesting and informative thread, some pretty 'clued-up' guys with lots of great info!

RR

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.