Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Szolack  withdrawing from Shootout Action >

Szolack withdrawing from Shootout Action

Notices

Szolack withdrawing from Shootout Action

Old 10-15-2016, 11:43 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can't imagine what it's like to have lost a friend or family to an accident like we have seen so many times this summer. I didnt know any of the folks that have lost their lives of the past summer, but it still upsets me. It seems today's engine technology has far surpassed the technology/ability of the hulls. I applaud you for choosing to no longer compete in high speed shootouts. While I am sure everyone knows the risks involved, it simply just cannot be worth it. Especially when you consider the effect it will have on the ones left behind. I truly hope more, in this sport, reflect on things and realize that the short term rush and bragging rights just simply aren't worth the ultimate price. I am terribly sorry you have lost some of your friends this way, it is truly heartbreaking.
Old 10-15-2016, 11:45 PM
Registered

Received 79 Likes on 32 Posts

RESPECT. But with that said, you don't really see other motorsports backing down from record breaking top speed runs. My first impression is other motorsports are always trying new life-saving safety designs, equipment and gear. Offshore seems way behind in technology that can help make the boat safer - think Hydroplanes, Drag Boats, they aren't slowing down, but they are a lot safer.

Part of the issue is, the Offshore style of boats were never intended to be the fastest straight-line smooth water boat, they are (were) meant to go from point A, to point B, to point C, D,E and etc. and the best team who could keep the boat together and on course with good navigation, throttle and drive techniques, for the best time on the course, would be the winners. The neutralizer was Mother Nature. Then the boats got bigger, and faster. Then again, even bigger, faster and finally powered by rocket engines. The offshore industry lost their way and tried to evolved into something they were not.

I would like to see some of these teams re-think their love for fast-boating, get back to basics, and experience the thrill of going offshore to the Bahamas and back where it requires a little more talent, driving, and finesse versus flat out drag racing.

And the general public and fans would absolutely support the crap out of these efforts. Keep it simple and have fun.

Last edited by jusabum; 10-15-2016 at 11:47 PM.
Old 10-15-2016, 11:49 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Many great thoughts in this post, I'm gonna stick my neck out and suggest that we all can be very passionate about high performance boating
and live to tell our friends and family's about it. :-)

Last edited by Nice Pair; 10-15-2016 at 11:52 PM.
Old 10-16-2016, 06:01 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 18 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by flight club
Due to the recent passing of 2 more of my very good friends I'm withdrawing from high speed runs. Even though I have no wife or kids I could not put my friends and family through the pain if something happened. My heart and prayers go out to all my fellow boaters families that we lost this year. RIP Garth and Jim
Ron……
I always believe that just because an accident hasn’t happened to me, that it can’t happen. And it is better to lose a minute in life than loose a life in a minute.

You are a wise friend, may they RIP

Doc Janssen
Old 10-16-2016, 06:26 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you Ron for stepping up, and voicing your concern's. I feel your decision to not take part in these shot-out style run's, will have a major impact with other participant's rethinking the consequences of what can happen. and how many people are truly affected when it goes wrong.
I hope many more follow your decision.

RIP, to all we have lost.
Old 10-16-2016, 06:55 AM
Registered

You make a valid point. Offshore machines have developed far past where they are safe at these speeds.. I have never been to a shootout, but my guess is most of the participants are not running race prepared boats. Open canopies, no oxygen, no belts. Even then there is no guarantee. Personally speaking, I get more thrill and satisfaction racing our 70MPH class 6 boat deck to deck with 6-10 others than I would going 100 in a straight line. It is saddening to seethe loss of life over simply going fast.
Old 10-16-2016, 10:51 AM
sre
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

24 years ago I lost my dad in a hydroplane accident right here in our hometown Detroit. We lost many friends in drag boat racing accidents in the years prior. We all new the risked involved. He offered to stop driving anytime my brothers and I would ask. We all love this sport but things are out of hand. Bragging rights for a number means nothing in the grand scheme of things. I give you a ton of credit Ron and you have my utmost respect!
Old 10-16-2016, 11:26 AM
Drive to arrive alive!!!
Platinum Member

Received 397 Likes on 124 Posts

Ron you're a wise man. We've lost too many friends.
Old 10-16-2016, 11:38 AM
Registered

It doesn't even compare on the grand scale of things, but I recently sold my 18' Seebold Eagle mod vp tunnel for the same reason. I bought it to just be a "play toy" when I wasn't using my 42' Fountain. I had a modded 300x that I was going to bolt on the back and it most definitely would have gone 110+ if I had the nuts to hang onto it. The more I thought about my son and my family the more I lost interest. Ten or fifteen years ago the selfish crazy me would have done it in a heartbeat. Glad you had a change of heart for all the right reasons. This quest for speed thing has kinda gotten out of hand lately.
Old 10-16-2016, 12:28 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by flight club
My shoot out boat is available for sale with or without power if anyone is interested. I have a new Skater on order
So you're saying that some things will never change; a Skater for sale and another one on order. BTW, you win the prize for building the most beautiful Skater ever built- the gold one. Have yet to see a more gorgeous boat

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.