Szolack  withdrawing from Shootout Action >

Szolack withdrawing from Shootout Action

Notices

Szolack withdrawing from Shootout Action

Old 10-17-2016, 11:39 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DRAG
Redundant computers are commonly implemented by Motec. Probably not needed, but it could be done. It would be a simple setup. when I'm at PRI this December I'll take a video of how fast a wing and hatch can react and I'm sure it could be easily added to existing cat hulls
The reaction time would be real time, like a millisecond. 1000 + time faster than any man
Old 10-17-2016, 11:49 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

canard; my only concern is it could stuff the nose with a gust of wind. throttle chop might do that too. That's why the motec seems like the answer. (throttle regulation). like traction control, the engine will only be allowed to use as much HP as it takes to do it in a way that keeps the boat level. trim too. It just takes the driver out of the sport, but could keep them alive.
Old 10-17-2016, 12:22 PM
Registered

Received 423 Likes on 177 Posts

In my opinion, it takes bigger balls to say "enough is enough" than to keep chasing these speeds. Mr Slozack, in my opinion, may not have only saved himself, but the decision could very well save others that could not be the first one to step back.
Old 10-17-2016, 01:54 PM
Registered

Received 900 Likes on 489 Posts

Originally Posted by jusabum
It's ONLY a problem if you keep trying to push a boat past its point of no return in an effort to be the fastest on the water. THESE ARE THE WRONG BOATS TO DO THAT IN. These boat belong racing offshore where the challenge is man against against man and Mother Nature, NOT the challenge of who can spend the most money for the most horsepower.
Money buying HP was Qatar's game........these two guys in an old Skater were not playing in that game.
Old 10-17-2016, 03:12 PM
bwd
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hope the online publishing folks take note and write about this positive turn.
Old 10-17-2016, 03:27 PM
Registered

Received 900 Likes on 489 Posts

Originally Posted by mcprodesign
The reaction time would be real time, like a millisecond. 1000 + time faster than any man
Except the legendary Apache throttleman Bobby Saccenti!

Bill Gates was still jerking off in his garage when Bobby was out getting the work done!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fpj_NYNDKgs
Old 10-17-2016, 05:59 PM
Registered

Received 916 Likes on 304 Posts

Originally Posted by NASCAT
A former racer, very experienced and knowledgeable fellow boating friend of mine suggested building a Canard wing that would go between the sponson tips, work off of some sort of smart level & gyroscope to counter bow lift over a certain degree. The canard wing existed in some sort of racing previously. May have been Unlimited Hydro's but I'm not positive nor do I know whether it was successful or not. To be honest I wasn't really interested in cutting up my Skater for an experiment.

I found this http://www.h1unlimited.com/hydros-101/ Click on the Canard Tab under the word HydroPlane.
Big hurtle to resolving this in the performance marine side is no sanctioning body pressing manufactures to develop a solutions. If anything, it's much the opposite. No need to hash it out, but imagine your sport saying you can't run any wing or splitter because downforce might give you an unfair advantage. And safety issues are the sole responsibility of manufactures.. Now who's gonna push for those advancements? Ya'd ended up with a bunch of big block Pinto's running 250mph without some leadership...

The F1 Hydro guys have probably done more research into this topic than any other group. I know cause that was the first guys I approached in a design forum couple years ago. They are happy to share what they've learned, but it took them a countless CAD and wind tunnel hours to get where they are today. Out of those discussions I also learned about the limitations of the canards on boats and aircraft. And then we looked at the main issue here, dumping huge volumes of compressed tunnel air on demand. Long story short, once you "stall" a wing, only drag can correct it to regain control. So soon as those props lose grip, your just along for a ride.

I'm really glad to see the interest in possible ways to approach this problem again. But without a dedicated group and someone funding research, it's all just conjecture that will soon fall to the wayside. As it has several times before. Really wish someone would prove me wrong this time.
Old 10-17-2016, 07:00 PM
Correspondent
Correspondent

Received 2,794 Likes on 1,261 Posts

Mr. Szolack is far from alone in his apprehension, http://www.offshoreonly.com/articles...king-hard-look.
Old 10-17-2016, 07:04 PM
Driver-441
Racer

Received 1,075 Likes on 284 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Trulio
Mr. Szolack is far from alone in his apprehension, http://www.offshoreonly.com/articles...king-hard-look.
The events over the weekend were horrific and tragic, but this is wonderful news.
Old 10-17-2016, 07:08 PM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Trulio
Great interviews, thanks for sharing.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.