Notices

Hooray for Key West

Old 10-21-2016, 11:26 AM
Correspondent
Correspondent

Received 554 Likes on 263 Posts
Default Hooray for Key West

The fun in Key West, Fla., is just around the corner, and it looks like the granddaddy of all performance boat events is going to be another good one.

https://www.offshoreonly.com/article...y-for-key-west
Old 10-21-2016, 01:45 PM
Registered

Received 2,972 Likes on 982 Posts

Can't wait! See you down there Jason.
Old 10-21-2016, 06:10 PM
Registered

Received 885 Likes on 480 Posts

And while he is clearly annoyed that people have “figured out how to go through the cracks by not registering with FPC and tipping all of the dockmasters around town,” he said the club can still accommodate more people for the run on either day as long as they have their own reservations for docks and rooms.

So FPC has the right to all the dockage in Key West that week?

This attitude is why people get annoyed with $750 poker run fees, plus applicable safety fee........for a couple photos, t-shirts and buffet lunch!
Old 10-21-2016, 06:30 PM
Registered

Received 2,972 Likes on 982 Posts

I get your point but I can understand where stu is coming from too. The world offshore races down there has always been a large event but since stu and FPC have been running the poker run down there it has grown exponentially larger and grandeur while bringing the majority of people down that normally probably wouldn't come. There's thousands of boaters that go down and maybe watch a race or two but really aren't there for the races. The two events feed each other obviously but that event 15 years ago was nothing like it is now. With that said, many boaters "piggie back" onto the poker run. Show up at gilberts and Islamorada hang out at poker run village and basically enjoy all the events and sites that FPC brings. No, you don't have to join the poker run to run down obviously and some people can't afford to run in the poker run or don't want to even deal with being in the actual poker run- I get all that. But doesn't take away from the understandable irritation coming from stu. Like I said, I get where he's coming from...but I can see both perspectives.

This topic has been brought up and debated in past threads. This is just my take on it.
Old 10-21-2016, 07:15 PM
Registered

Received 482 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by thisistank
I get your point but I can understand where stu is coming from too. The world offshore races down there has always been a large event but since stu and FPC have been running the poker run down there it has grown exponentially larger and grandeur while bringing the majority of people down that normally probably wouldn't come. There's thousands of boaters that go down and maybe watch a race or two but really aren't there for the races. The two events feed each other obviously but that event 15 years ago was nothing like it is now. With that said, many boaters "piggie back" onto the poker run. Show up at gilberts and Islamorada hang out at poker run village and basically enjoy all the events and sites that FPC brings. No, you don't have to join the poker run to run down obviously and some people can't afford to run in the poker run or don't want to even deal with being in the actual poker run- I get all that. But doesn't take away from the understandable irritation coming from stu. Like I said, I get where he's coming from...but I can see both perspectives.

This topic has been brought up and debated in past threads. This is just my take on it.
+ 1
Old 10-21-2016, 08:04 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 74 Likes on 47 Posts

I definitely can understand his frustrations with people joining the run without registering or stopping at the poker run locations while the run is going on. But to be upset with people bringing their boats to kw and getting slips doesn't. I used to bring my boat down to go boating there and had nothing to do with the poker run .. ..
Old 10-21-2016, 09:06 PM
Registered

Received 885 Likes on 480 Posts

Originally Posted by TomFTM
I definitely can understand his frustrations with people joining the run without registering or stopping at the poker run locations while the run is going on. But to be upset with people bringing their boats to kw and getting slips doesn't. I used to bring my boat down to go boating there and had nothing to do with the poker run .. ..
Just to clarify my earlier post......

Poker run crashing is not acceptable!

But there is nothing wrong with boating to key west and getting a slip!
Old 10-21-2016, 11:23 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Like the crashers are not going to enjoy Poker Run Village, the Bikini Contest, and all the other activities that are there thanks to Stu and the FPC...
Suck it up and don't be a drain on society.
Old 10-22-2016, 06:05 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

We have been making this trip for 17 years, from key largo to KW. Slips at the Gallion, which FPC does not use. Sorry but i dont need any $1200 t shirts.
Old 10-22-2016, 07:13 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 54 Likes on 26 Posts

I go for the races, but the atmosphere that the Poker Run brings is great. There's nothing better than going down to the Conch Republic on Thursday afternoon and seeing the boats come in. I would like to thank the organizers for job they do.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.