Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Salt Water--Store on Trailer or Boat Rack Storage? >

Salt Water--Store on Trailer or Boat Rack Storage?

Notices

Salt Water--Store on Trailer or Boat Rack Storage?

Old 10-30-2016, 04:25 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Salt Water--Store on Trailer or Boat Rack Storage?

For those who don't live on the water, do you guys around the coastal areas store your boat on the trailer? Or is it better to use one of the "boat rack" places and let them store it for you that way? To me, it seems a lot more convenient to simply call them, have them put it into the water, and not mess with boat ramps and the trailer for every use. Is it feasible to have, and keep, a "nice" boat at one of those boat rack storage places? I would be keeping mine in the Tarpon Springs/Palm Harbor, FL area, north of Tampa...
Old 10-30-2016, 04:58 PM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 864 Likes on 317 Posts

I racked all my boats until the PowerPlay, at 33' hull + drives it was too long to rack. With all the other boats I'd give them a buzz during the day and have them plunk it in the water even if I wasn't 100% sure I was going out. It worked out great, but the down side was that there were a few times I didn't think about going out until after they closed and that was a real drag. Another down side was that they would hose off the boat & drive but not flush, that was an extra charge that would have really added up over the summer so the salt water stayed in the engine. Lucky with the Nordic it was a 496 with closed cooling so at least the salt water was localized.

With the PowerPlay we trailered it. We kept it at a marina about 10 minutes from the ramp. Every time we went out we'd have to install the nav/gps (I removed every time out so it wouldn't get stolen), uncover and fold the full cover, install the props, get out all the fenders, load the coolers, go to the ramp, wait if crowded, back it in, start it up, check engines, park the truck, blah blah blah. Reverse that on the return trip but add in flushing. In other words...it sucked, no matter how much of a science we had this down to. For a quick day run just to get out on the water for a few hours it actually took longer to prep and put away, it basically killed the boat and we sold it after 3 years.

Rack it if you can.
Old 10-30-2016, 05:13 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The main reason I rack store mine is because I want to keep it out of the sun and weather. I was entertaining the idea of putting it on the trailer and store it in a 50ft storage facility but (250.00 vs 650.00 per month) I decided on the convenience of a rack at a marina. I love the Marina I am at (Barber Marine) and its a first class operation.
Old 10-30-2016, 06:55 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Indy
I racked all my boats until the PowerPlay, at 33' hull + drives it was too long to rack. With all the other boats I'd give them a buzz during the day and have them plunk it in the water even if I wasn't 100% sure I was going out. It worked out great, but the down side was that there were a few times I didn't think about going out until after they closed and that was a real drag. Another down side was that they would hose off the boat & drive but not flush, that was an extra charge that would have really added up over the summer so the salt water stayed in the engine. Lucky with the Nordic it was a 496 with closed cooling so at least the salt water was localized.

With the PowerPlay we trailered it. We kept it at a marina about 10 minutes from the ramp. Every time we went out we'd have to install the nav/gps (I removed every time out so it wouldn't get stolen), uncover and fold the full cover, install the props, get out all the fenders, load the coolers, go to the ramp, wait if crowded, back it in, start it up, check engines, park the truck, blah blah blah. Reverse that on the return trip but add in flushing. In other words...it sucked, no matter how much of a science we had this down to. For a quick day run just to get out on the water for a few hours it actually took longer to prep and put away, it basically killed the boat and we sold it after 3 years.

Rack it if you can.
You mention a 496 with closed loop cooling in your Nordic. So not all boats are closed loop? When did they start doing that? Is it something I should prioritize in which boat I choose for salt use?
Old 10-30-2016, 07:13 PM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 864 Likes on 317 Posts

I would absolutely look for closed cooling, most closed cooling Merc engines started in 2002 or so, I'm sure there are experts here that will give you the correct year but I'm pretty sure it started around then.
Old 10-30-2016, 11:01 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dry rack will save you a ton of time and headache, but you'll have to pay for it and if you want it indoors, you'll need to pay even more. Some facilities won't allow you to store indoors unless you're over 35'. Most will pull your boat and hose it off, some will also allow you to flush the engines before they rack it. If you have the money and you intend to use your boat more than once a month, rack it. Here in Miami, outdoor racks are over $700/month for my 28' so we put up with the headache of trailering. Trailering also makes it easier to work on, one of the only added bonuses. Best of luck on your decision.
Old 10-31-2016, 07:19 AM
Registered

Received 258 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by CLASSIC MUSCLE
You mention a 496 with closed loop cooling in your Nordic. So not all boats are closed loop? When did they start doing that? Is it something I should prioritize in which boat I choose for salt use?
No not all boats do. Most common seen are the 496 and the 525's. It is a big help for us down here.

Also what size boat are you looking to store as there is only a few rack storage places around here that will let you in and one of them (Marker 8) is on a 6-month to 1 year waiting list.
Old 10-31-2016, 07:23 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by MullenTJ86
. Some facilities won't allow you to store indoors unless you're over 35'. .
Kind of opposite for most places in the area he is looking. Further south (st. pete area) it is like that but in the Dunedin - tarpon area it is mostly only 32' and under places
Old 10-31-2016, 07:42 AM
Registered

Received 1,325 Likes on 739 Posts

I have a question on the rack stored boats.

Do you think they will really give it a good flush? Do they use salt away? I just always worried the after care would not be the same.

But we were lucky, when we looked at the cost of rack storage it ended up to add about the same amount we had to add for a waterfront home.

Last edited by Wildman_grafix; 10-31-2016 at 10:29 AM.
Old 10-31-2016, 08:27 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Wildman_grafix
I have a question on the rack stored boats.

Do you think they will really give it a goof flush? Do they use salt away? I just always worried the after care would not be the same.

But we were lucky, when we looked at the cost of rack storage it ended up to add about the same amount we had to add for a waterfront home.
Just depends on where you store is all. I can think of two here that really do and do an amazing and great job but I am sure there are others that do fast, wham, bam, and store away. A Lot of times it's "you get what you pay for". SO if the price seems well below what some of the other places are and the facility looks a little "rough" chances are you are not getting the service you desire.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.