Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
36 Gladiator | 38 Donzi ZRC | 42 Fountain Poker Run | 39 Dragon | 39 Outerlimits GTX >

36 Gladiator | 38 Donzi ZRC | 42 Fountain Poker Run | 39 Dragon | 39 Outerlimits GTX

Notices

36 Gladiator | 38 Donzi ZRC | 42 Fountain Poker Run | 39 Dragon | 39 Outerlimits GTX

Old 11-01-2016, 03:53 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts
Default 36 Gladiator | 38 Donzi ZRC | 42 Fountain Poker Run | 39 Dragon | 39 Outerlimits GTX

Old 11-01-2016, 03:54 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Sit Down, Go Fast, No Frills, Hot Rod "event" boats:

Who can supply some legitimate seat time, use, and onboard feedback on AT LEAST 2-3 of these boats, comparatively?
*The only boats in consideration would be staggered setups.
*Big power & high speeds (over 100) are not really important; compared to reliability and low maintenance.
(Normally aspirated and Bravo drive derivatives are fine; but SSM and other surface drive options could be considered.)

Discussion points:

-Gladiators do not have a rubrail (except I think at least one had one added).
-Gladiators with staggered setups have rather cramped cockpits compared to the others.
-Donzi ZRC has had a couple of bottom changes. What were they, and what results were gleaned?
-Donzi ZRC with twin 1/4 canopies isn't exactly passenger friendly/comfortable for the back seat center passenger, as such, really only a 4 seater boat for long runs.
-Fountain Poker Run is fairly cumbersome to get in and out of the cockpit.
-Outerlimits GTX, how many are out there? Do they all have big power?
-Dragon, only a few built; and one very custom one is currently available. There was a significant rigging/handling issue with one of them.

What is visibility like on all of these boats when running AND planing?
Any feedback welcomed.
Old 11-01-2016, 04:43 PM
Registered

Received 698 Likes on 341 Posts

I have a decent amount of seat time in a zrc, great ride. Can have a normal conversation at 80 in 2-3's.
575sci xr its ran 94 today in cool weather light chop.
These are my absolute favorite style boats. Love to have any one of them.
Old 11-01-2016, 06:42 PM
Registered

Received 64 Likes on 26 Posts

I have driven all of them. I own a Cigarette gladiator so I'm biased.

The biggest difference in them is, when your standing around with random people and someone says.. "you have one of them there Cigarette boats".. if you have the gladiator you can say yes.
Old 11-01-2016, 10:04 PM
Registered

Received 341 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
Sit Down, Go Fast, No Frills, Hot Rod "event" boats:

Who can supply some legitimate seat time, use, and onboard feedback on AT LEAST 2-3 of these boats, comparatively?
*The only boats in consideration would be staggered setups.
*Big power & high speeds (over 100) are not really important; compared to reliability and low maintenance.
(Normally aspirated and Bravo drive derivatives are fine; but SSM and other surface drive options could be considered.)

Discussion points:

-Gladiators do not have a rubrail (except I think at least one had one added).
-Gladiators with staggered setups have rather cramped cockpits compared to the others.
-Donzi ZRC has had a couple of bottom changes. What were they, and what results were gleaned?
-Donzi ZRC with twin 1/4 canopies isn't exactly passenger friendly/comfortable for the back seat center passenger, as such, really only a 4 seater boat for long runs.
-Fountain Poker Run is fairly cumbersome to get in and out of the cockpit.
-Outerlimits GTX, how many are out there? Do they all have big power?
-Dragon, only a few built; and one very custom one is currently available. There was a significant rigging/handling issue with one of them.

What is visibility like on all of these boats when running AND planing?
Any feedback welcomed.
The center seat in ZRCs equipped with the wind deflector does not get any more wind than the other two back seats. . As for the bottoms on ZRCs, everything up through 2006 had two steps. In 2007 they added a couple of very small steps and the comps gained about 3 mph.

When Jim Caldwell designed the bottom on the ZRCs for Donzi he made the bottom such that they could be turned at speed without swapping ends. The Comps gave up some top end speed vs the 42 Fountain hulls (which he also engineered with Reggie), but he figured that on a race course where you have to make hard turns things would equal out. The Donzi's are known for their rough water ability.

The 42 Fountain hull is a badass all around hull. If you wanted to someday put really big power in one of these boats and go over 140mph hands down it would be the fountain. I could never get past the 42 PRs only having four seats.

From my days of pickin the brains of the guys at Lake Cumberland Marine back in the day, they sold more OL then anybody and they told me time and time again that OL never quite figured out that 39 GTX hull vs their bigger GTXs. The new SV hulls are worlds better than any of the old GTX hulls.

As for the cigs, beautiful boats but they are unforgiving if you don't know how to drive them. Craig Berrie told me of the time he sold 3 of them new when he was at Cig to experienced performance guys. He implored all there new owners to come to Miami and let him walk them through the do's and donts of driving a Glad and all three declined. All three of the owners hooked their Glads and swaped ends. Great boats but you had better know how to drive them.

Never been In a Dragon or know anyone who has - other then Craig Berrie. Craig said they are great running boats but unlike fiberglass boats they do not flex at all and are a very ridged ride.

Personally, I would not want any of these boats with bravos - but I know many people have them and many go through a lot of drives.

Last edited by Marginmn; 11-01-2016 at 10:14 PM.
Old 11-01-2016, 10:05 PM
Registered

Received 278 Likes on 97 Posts

There's NOTHING better then a sit down hot rod go fast boat! Would you drive your vette standing up? Lol

Super excited for you!

Obviously biased towards the Gladiator it's fast, rock solid, eats up the rough stuff, and on rails through anything! Unleashed turns sharper then anyone ever needs to and Tysons glad does also, so I don't believe they spin out any more then another fast stepped hull. I have been in and driven many boats and the only ride more impressive then "Unleashed" was 180mph in "Low Altitude" over 2-4's with John on the sticks and Tom at the wheel.

No experience with the dragon but I have researched them a bunch for a friend and wouldn't hesitate to buy one if unleashed didn't exist and a deal came up like the couple dragons recently listed.

Donzi and fountain are good options.

I like OL, cool boats, but there's more negative about some of thier hulls then the offshore world admits to for some reason.......

Last edited by offshorexcursion; 11-01-2016 at 10:12 PM.
Old 11-01-2016, 11:45 PM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 65 Posts

^^^ how many were setup like yours Kevin with the reverse chines filled.... IIRC. If I'm wrong I stand corrected.

I miss my TS TG and loved how its hull performed. Hopefully I'll own a Glad someday
Old 11-02-2016, 12:02 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Originally Posted by offshorexcursion

Super excited for you!
***Asking for a friend.

Keep the feedback coming.
Old 11-02-2016, 12:09 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Marginmn
The center seat in ZRCs equipped with the wind deflector does not get any more wind than the other two back seats. . As for the bottoms on ZRCs, everything up through 2006 had two steps. In 2007 they added a couple of very small steps and the comps gained about 3 mph.

When Jim Caldwell designed the bottom on the ZRCs for Donzi he made the bottom such that they could be turned at speed without swapping ends. The Comps gave up some top end speed vs the 42 Fountain hulls (which he also engineered with Reggie), but he figured that on a race course where you have to make hard turns things would equal out. The Donzi's are known for their rough water ability.

The 42 Fountain hull is a badass all around hull. If you wanted to someday put really big power in one of these boats and go over 140mph hands down it would be the fountain. I could never get past the 42 PRs only having four seats.

From my days of pickin the brains of the guys at Lake Cumberland Marine back in the day, they sold more OL then anybody and they told me time and time again that OL never quite figured out that 39 GTX hull vs their bigger GTXs. The new SV hulls are worlds better than any of the old GTX hulls.

As for the cigs, beautiful boats but they are unforgiving if you don't know how to drive them. Craig Berrie told me of the time he sold 3 of them new when he was at Cig to experienced performance guys. He implored all there new owners to come to Miami and let him walk them through the do's and donts of driving a Glad and all three declined. All three of the owners hooked their Glads and swaped ends. Great boats but you had better know how to drive them.

Never been In a Dragon or know anyone who has - other then Craig Berrie. Craig said they are great running boats but unlike fiberglass boats they do not flex at all and are a very ridged ride.

Personally, I would not want any of these boats with bravos - but I know many people have them and many go through a lot of drives.
Solid info, and thanks for the feedback.
When is yours going for sale?

And Kevin, thank you for reaching out as well. I need to talk to BobbyB about the Wanted Gladiator and his input as well.
Old 11-02-2016, 12:56 AM
Registered

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

[QUOTE=offshorexcursion;4496768]There's NOTHING better then a sit down hot rod go fast boat! Would you drive your vette standing up? Lol

QUOTE]

Nice Thread!

I love my sit down Pantera! Not quite in the same $$$$ category, but chopping through waves is fun as hell. Would love to step up to a Gladiator or Fountain PR someday.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.