If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cordless Drills

Charter Member #927 Charter Member Payton's Avatar
    My Boats:
    1991 34' Super Hawaii
    I understand, Black and Decker owns DeWalt. I purchased a Black and Decker 14.4 volt (Firestorm series) Drill, 4" circular saw and Sawsall. It's the same as the DeWalt 14.4. Same battery everything. I bought a Dewalt Radio/charger and use it to fast charge all my batteries. The charger that came with the Firestorms is a cheap one.

I use them all around the farm for almost 2 years now. They are half the price of DeWalts.

Gone Fishin' Charter Member Waterfoul's Avatar
    My Boats:
    1988 Tracker Pro 17, 40 hp Mariner.....1972 Glastron GT 140, Merc 50 power!!!
    Grand Rapids/Holland/Grand Haven
    I have been beating, dropping, and generally abusing my Porter Cable for about 6 years now. Both batteries still charge fully and it works like the day I got doesn't look like the day I got it.....but it sure takes a beating.... My vote.
    [b]M Go Blue.......Gator boots, gator luggage, gator purses... all at cut rate deals!!!!

VIP Member Platinum Member wwwTOPDJcom's Avatar
    My Boats:
    1992 450hp Senza Spectre 25'
    Vestal/Binghamton NY
    Dewalt, I have a 12v 2speed from 92 Ive used and abused
    it only replaced one of the 2 batteries in 99
    I had good luck with my Bro has the same one and also no prob
    I do know of a couple models they had some problems with
    otherwise if mine ever breaks Im getting a new one.

I had a Ryobi 18 volt and when thru over 6000 3" screws building decks for me my buds. The batteries finally gave up. The drill is still "GREAT". I found that it was almost cheaper to replace the drill than replace the batteries. I found a 19.6 volt drill, circ. saw, and light at Sears for around $135. 00 and I am very pleased with the performance so far. The saw is great for a couple of cuts, but dont plan on framing out a house one charge.

Official OSO boat whore Charter Member
    My Boats:
    8' row boat
    Mequon, WI
    Somebody rang?

I have 3 cordless Makitas. 1 9.6v that I got new back when 9.6v was the hot ticket, and two 12v that got a good deal on. I love the makita's and wouldn't trade the world for them. Try swinging over to the fine home building site. They do comparison testing of the drills and may be able to provide some insight. For that matter, go to your library and check out consumer reports too.

Most of the drills we have are Dewalts. For what it's worth, the guys seem pretty happy with them.

Charter Member #232 Charter Member Audiofn's Avatar
    My Boats:
    1979 Formula 302, 99 Formula 353, 81 Donzi 18 2+3 with 454
    Carlisle, MA USA
    Can not go wrong with the Dewalts. I have a 12, 14.4 and a 18 volt. I also like the Miliwakees but I think that bang for the buck Dewalt has it hands down.

Put your best foot forward!

My Boats:
    Boatless... Damn...

My Boats:
    91, 31' Scarab
    Grand Rapids MI.
    Iv'e had an 18v Black and Decker ( Dewalt) since they were introduced, use almost every work day, in heavey construction. It's been dropped, rained on, abused, and only had to put a new chuck, and two batteries so far.

I've got a Craftsman 15.6V and a Dewalt 12V. The dewalt has a better trigger and slow speed. But the gearbox on the Craftsman seems alittle better. It a better feel to it when it changes gears. I had the gear box apart on the Sears and there was very little sign of wear. This things gets used alot. But I prefer the Dewalt to it because of weight. I havent hurt or wore out either one. I've had the Sears for about 5 years. That thing has gone through everthing. The only failure I had with it was one chuck jaw wouldn't line up with the other two. I really use but don't abuse my tools. These things just keep going. By the way the Sears has higher RPM's for drilling but the Dewalt has better torque.

My cousin is an electrical contractor. He brings the stuff over to my dad to fix that his guys break. The Dewalts that he fixes are beat to hell, but the only thing that seems to go is the speed control, or the battery.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast