Notices

Cordless Drills

Old 10-08-2002, 05:22 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here at the shop we use/abuse a DeWalt 14.4 drill. We use it for everything, not just drilling holes, we run bolts in and out of fixtures using the clutch head for a pretorque.
Based on my use at work I bought one for home and it's been great. Was using it prior to a hurricane to put up storm pannels over our windows when it started to rain, heavily. The water running off the roof was pouring down into the top vents on the drill flooding it. You know, that damn drill kept right on running. Never shorted out and continues to work perfectly today.
I'd highly recommend it.
Old 10-10-2002, 01:05 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CHECK OUT THIS SITE

Check out this website: www.harborfreight.com

They sell everything from cheap stuff to good stuff. They are a mail order company that offer a lot of reconditioned tools in addition to new ones. They only charge 5 or 6 bucks for shipping & handling no matter how much you buy. I have bought quite a few items from them, and their customer service is second to none if you ever need anything. But to the point, Their reconditioned tools look like new ! (I think they may have just been those that don't meet the factory specs that were re-conned at the factory) and sometimes you can get them for significantly less than the local stores. (these have the "- R" after the part numbers. I am going to buy another dewalt just so i can leave one up north and have one at home.

In response to the original Question, I have had the follwing cordless drills:

Craftsman (I think it was around 14.2v) - went through 3 or 4, and got my $$ back, under easy use. gears stripped, charger did not work, chuck was bad, etc.

Porter cable 14.4 v - I liked it alot, - had enough toerque to snap the shaft that holds the chuck (twice). I have to admit, with an adapter to put sockets on it, I abused it.......returned it, none left, so I got the dewalt 14.4v. But I think the PC was a great drill all in all also.

Dewalt 14.4 v - Had it for a few years, beat the S*&t out of it, and it's still going strong. The batteries still hold a charge, as good as any, and it just wont die ! It looks like it's been through a war, but if I ever had to buy another...........it would be a dewalt, no question. In comparison to the 18 V, when they just came out & my buddy got his, we took the screwdriver bit, locked the two togehter and pulled the triggers. Mine just smoked a bit, but the 18v couldn't turn it........................Don't ask why we did it, we just did

Just my 2 cents worth