Notices

Exhaust diverters for Four Winns U19

Old 12-18-2016, 01:54 AM
U19
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Exhaust diverters for Four Winns U19

Hi. New to this forum (First Post)
I just purchased a mint 1996 Four Winns U19. First of all, curious as to how many other U19 owners there are here currently. The last threads discussing these boats seem to be a few years old. If you own one of these, I'd enjoy hearing from you and more specifically, wondering if anyone has any experience with installing exhaust diverters such as Corsa Captains Choice?
Many of the models listed seem to be boat model specific, and of course nothing listed for a 'U' boat.
Mine is equiped with a 350 Chev and has Kodiak performance aluminum manifolds and risers.
Any help would be appreciated.
Old 12-18-2016, 06:38 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

I owned one for a year and have been around them since the prototypes in 1995. They used the weird Corsa mufflers with a crossover that widened the exhaust. So, silent choice would be kind of tough to squeeze in there. You have a late model 1996 as most came with Ford engines. What color is yours?
Old 12-18-2016, 09:22 PM
U19
Registered

It's white with a red stripe. It was repowered by the previous owner. I believe it was originally a 5 Ltr.
Haven figured out yet how to add a pic, but can post some once I do. ��

Last edited by U19; 12-18-2016 at 09:23 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 12-18-2016, 09:40 PM
U19
Registered

https://images.craigslist.org/01616_...5D_600x450.jpg

I just bought the boat Fri, but the ad js still up. This is a link to a pic from the ad of the engine.

Last edited by U19; 12-18-2016 at 10:22 PM.
Old 12-20-2016, 03:12 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by U19
https://images.craigslist.org/01616_...5D_600x450.jpg

I just bought the boat Fri, but the ad js still up. This is a link to a pic from the ad of the engine.
Looks like they got rid of the crossover and mufflers when they repowered. Those 2 "90" bends(where the crossover originally was) make it difficult to do silent choice, as there isn't much room for a diverter.

Looks like a clean swap. What's the hp and speeds?

Old 12-20-2016, 03:44 PM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I have a 1996 with 5.8 Ford and Volvo DuoProp. I have been modifying it since I bought it new in '96. Very fun boat, but a bit of chine walk at top speeds. Nothing that I cant live with though. Mine has the Corsa crossover with thru hull exhaust. Added Hiteck Marine headers to that system. Also changed the ECU to multi-port, bigger, injectors, mass air, throttle body and Edlebrock manifold. Added trim tabs as well. With all that gained a few MPH. It will run 72 on GPS with two people and 1/4 tank of fuel. Still one of my favorite boats!
Old 12-20-2016, 04:37 PM
U19
Registered

To be honest, I haven't been out in it yet. Still quite winter like here although today is a rather balmy 45 deg F. Claimed to be 350hp/70 mph. We will see..
Appreciate the feedback on the diverter.
I've also heard long duration cams can result in reversion/ingestion when exhaust is routed through the leg. Not sure which Cam is fitted in this motor, but will ask.
I'm not familiar with the originally fitted mufflers you mentioned. I have also seen some advertised that fit within the exhaust hose..?
Old 12-20-2016, 04:59 PM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

My boat is not too loud. A nice growl but not ear splitting like a big block blower motor. 350 hp should push it along nicely. What outdirve and prop do you have? Reversion can occur with a long duration cam even with thru hull exhaust. Water is mixed in the exhaust stream which can be sucked back thru the exhaust valve.
Old 12-21-2016, 08:50 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by U19
To be honest, I haven't been out in it yet. Still quite winter like here although today is a rather balmy 45 deg F. Claimed to be 350hp/70 mph. We will see..
Appreciate the feedback on the diverter.
I've also heard long duration cams can result in reversion/ingestion when exhaust is routed through the leg. Not sure which Cam is fitted in this motor, but will ask.
I'm not familiar with the originally fitted mufflers you mentioned. I have also seen some advertised that fit within the exhaust hose..?
350hp should put you right around 70 mph. Mine had a 5.7GXI which was rated at 320 at the prop and I was close to 70. I think with the right prop I may have picked up a couple mph. Do you have the SX drive or the DPS?

Unless you have issues with the "noise police" where you are, then I would leave the exhaust alone. Just my opinion.

Last edited by onesickpantera; 12-21-2016 at 08:53 AM.
Old 12-22-2016, 02:35 PM
U19
Registered

Mine is the SX drive with a three blade SS Mercury Mirage 25P.
I agree, I will try it for a while, and if the exhaust is not too obnoxious, will leave it alone.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.